REYNA AVILA RAMIREZ-ARELLANO

She invited Jason over, knowing he wouldn't want to be at home. She still wanted to do more to help, but he insisted that it was okay. Reyna didn't believe that.

He was quieter, though.
"Is everything okay?" Reyna asked.
"Yeah," Jason said, though it didn't seem like he'd heard the question at all. "Uh- Reyna? You remember in freshman year when you were homophobic- I mean- you didn't accept yourself?"
"Thanks for the reminder. But yeah, I remember. It wasn't an easy time, why?"

"Well, how did it become easier?"
Reyna frowned. "It took a while. I guess it's something you can't control. I just told people close to me- like you. After a while, it just became part of who I am. And now I have the most beautiful girlfrien-"
"Yeah, yeah. I've heard more than enough about that. Anyway."
"Why all the questions?"
Jason shrugged. "How long did it take you to accept yourself?"
"I can't really remember. As I said, it's just who I am. Now tell me what all the questions are about."
"Right," Jason muttered. "I like Leo Valdez-"
"HUH?!"

Reyna stood up, sat back down again, stood up, then back down again. "Huh?"
"Fuck- I didn't mean to say that. I mean I did but- oh fuck. I'm gay."
Reyna just stared at him, her mouth hanging open.
Jason looked a whole lot more worried. "I'm sorry-"

Reyna tackled him into a hug. "You have no reason to be sorry!"
Jason hugged her back. She could feel his heart racing. She knew that exact feeling.
"I'm sorry I couldn't tell you sooner." Jason's voice was shaking.
"There's no time limit to things like this,"
"I know. I'm just- still really scared. Everyone else could find out so easily."
"Well, I won't tell anyone until you do. So unless anybody else knows-"

Jason sighed. "Uhm, about that. Leo, Piper, Nico, Hazel, Sherman, Damien, Drew, Dakota, Gwendolyn and Octavian know. Possibly more. Especially once Octavian tells everyone-"
"Wait- how?!"
"Long story?" Jason shrugged.
"Okay," Reyna nodded. "Long story."
"It's just been a really hard few months. I fucked up big time back in September when I started dating Drew. I knew back then and I hate myself for it. I wanted to get with Drew to prove to myself I liked women. Didn't work."

Reyna sighed. "People make mistakes."
"That was a big mistake," Jason shook his head. "But that's not all that happened. I- never mind. I can't."
She put a hand on his arm. "It's okay. You're my best friend. I know it was just a mistake."
"I can't say what happened to you. If you want to know, ask Leo, Piper, Hazel or Nico. Actually, I don't think Nico knows the whole story."
"It's okay, I understand. Everything is going to be okay."
"I hope so."

• • •

They talked about it for another while- Jason's fears, mainly. In freshman year, Reyna did have a bit of internalized homophobia but it was nothing compared to Jason's. He still couldn't tell her what happened, even though he tried but kept breaking down. She tried to help with other things though. Mainly accepting himself.

She honestly didn't expect it. Jason was the straightest guy ever. Well, no. He wasn't. He just seemed like it.
"I should probably go home," Jason said. "Thank you. And if you do ask someone what happened, which I don't mind, I want you to know. I'm sorry. I'm trying to change."
"Jason Grace, you are the most amazing person ever. It's been a tough time. Go home and get some sleep. There's school tomorrow."
"You're such a mom-"
"Shut up. And don't slip on the ice."

• • •

She texted Leo after a while, thinking about what Jason said. She didn't know why she texted Leo, it just felt right. Jason had said he liked Leo. At least that's what Reyna thought he said.

Reynaavila: hey, Leo. Are you able to talk? Jason just told me. He also told me to ask you the whole story

It only took seconds for Leo to reply.

SupersizedMcShizzle: oh. Sure. How is he?

Reynaavila: he's okay now

Leo called her on FaceTime.
"Hi," Reyna smiled.
"Hey. So what did he tell you? I don't even know where to start-"
"Just- about being gay. And having trouble accepting that."
Leo sighed. "You're in for a wild ride."

He told her the whole story. Everything. From cheating on Drew to the talk they had. It was obvious that Leo got mad talking about some points- especially the ignoring after the first two kisses.
"I didn't think you two had anything. I mean it's just unexpected. Well, he said he liked you but-"
Leo grinned. "He said what?"
"Oh don't pretend you don't know."
"I know. It's still weird to hear." He laughed.

"Trust me, today has been weird. Uhm- Leo. I know it's your choice. And I know you're rightfully pissed at Jason. But he's a good guy, seriously."
"He's also a good kisser."
"I do not want to know that!" Reyna shouted.
"Also, I know about his mom. He told me you knew."
"Oh. Right."
Leo nodded. "And I do like him. Piper's super mad at him. I don't even know if Nico knows the whole story, but Hazel does. I think I can forgive him. Ahem- especially if he actually asks me out on a date."
"Do you want me to pass that message on?" Reyna laughed.
"Whhhaaat? Pfft. As if!" Leo yelled, then whispered 'yes please'.

"Of course," she said. "Also, is everything okay with you? After- Jason."
"Yeah, I'm okay now. Well, I have a sore foot but that's because I stubbed my toe while running after my brother- and my arm hurts cause I insisted on having an arm wrestle with both Will and Frank. Oh and-"
"Yes, I get it."
"But I'm only giving Jason one chance," Leo said. "I can't deal with being hurt again. I know he's your best friend but man was a dick."
Reyna nodded. "I get that. One chance. I hope it works out."
"One chance." Leo repeated. "Goodnight, Reyna."
"Night. See you tomorrow."

Reyna texted her girlfriend goodnight then put down her phone, thinking about what happened. She was glad, though. Jason seemed so sad before. Reyna helped as much as she could. Maybe Leo was that tiny bit of help he needed to be truly happy.

———

Word Count: 1072

———

A/N: y'all: yay! Reyna chapter!
Me: *valgrace chapter disguised*

But finally a chapter over 1000 words so I say that's a win