THE GRACES

[THALIA GRACE]

"We're almost home, Jason. Just hang on, okay?"
"Mm," he mumbled, which was better than nothing. Thalia stopped outside Beryl's house, getting off the motorbike quick as possible. She took the helmet off Jason, his face a bloody mess. He stumbled off the motorbike before getting sick.

"I never liked motorbikes," he said, his words slightly slurred.
"It's okay. Come inside," she had to support him as he kept falling towards her. She helped him in through the door and into the lounge.
"Leo," Jason muttered. "Leo will be worried."
"Don't worry about him," she grabbed tissues. "Is your nose broken?"
"I don't know. It wasn't that hard. I've been in worse fights. I need to call Leo-"
"Jason. He punched you pretty fucking hard."
"Oh. Okay."

"Jason," Beryl walked into the room. "Thalia, you're here too. Where've you-" she took one look at Jason and for the first time in a while, she looked like she cared. "What happened?"

[JASON GRACE]

He felt like his eyes were going in opposite directions. He wanted to ring Leo. He could hear Thalia and his mom, but couldn't make out much. He wanted to sleep. Sure, he'd been punched a lot in fights, but it never felt like this.

"Jase," he could make out his mother's voice and could see her getting closer, though his vision was blotchy. He didn't have his glasses, either, which didn't help. "Jase, what happened?"
She sounded normal. She sounded sober.
"Mom?"
"I'm here," she whispered. "I'm here, baby."

[THALIA GRACE]

"His nose is broken," she sighed. "Definitely. He needs to go to the hospital."
"My friend is a doctor," Jason said, then he laughed for some reason. "No he's not. Not yet. Can I ring Leo?"
"When we're in the car. Beryl, where's the keys."
"Kitchen. I'm coming with you," she said.
"You can't-"
"I can and I will. I'll get the car keys, you take him to the car."

• • •

The car was literally a pile of metal. Thalia was surprised it even started, but it did. Beryl and Jason both sat in the backseat, her holding his head up and keeping him conscious. Thalia hated her mother, but in a way, it was kind of sweet. It was the most motherly thing Thalia had seen Beryl do- possibly ever.

They got to the hospital, both of them walking Jason inside.
"I can walk," he mumbled, before stumbling. "Where is my phone I-"
"You can ring Leo in a second! Goddamn waiting rooms. Sit here."

Jason sat down, taking out his phone, instantly ringing Leo. Highschool romance. How cringe. Still, Thalia could only hope that they stayed together forever.

[JASON GRACE]

"Oh my god, Jason!" Leo said instantly. "Are you okay? What happened? Are you alright? You've been gone for ages I was so worried-"
"Leo," Jason smiled to himself. "Hi. I'm okay. I'm in the hospital but don't worry."
"You sound awful. What happened?"
"He hit me. Broke my nose. It's okay though, Thalia's being dramatic," he looked over to his sister, finally able to understand his surroundings. "Kidding."
"Do you want me to come?"
"Is Piper willing to drive you?"
"I'm sure she is," Leo said.
"Then yeah. Being with you is easier."

Leo hung up, just when a nurse came over to them.
"This way," he said, leading them to a room.

[THALIA GRACE]

They confirmed that his nose was, in fact, broken. Thankfully the damage wasn't that bad- it would heal on its own, with a lot of pain, blood and swelling. Leo arrived, too, which made Jason a lot happier, although there were still obvious signs of heartbreak deep down.

"Can we go home soon?" Jason asked Thalia. "I don't really like hospitals."
"Soon," Thalia nodded. "We'll go home soon."
"You are not going back to your fathers," Beryl said quickly. "Please don't go back there."
"No, we're going back to yours," Thalia said.
"Mine? You've never.. you've never called my house 'home'."

She was right. For a long time, Thalia hated everything about her mother. She still didn't like her much, but Jason lived there, so it was home.

"Mom?" Jason said.
"Yes, Jason?"
"I wanted you to know that Leo's my boyfriend."
"Leo-" Beryl looked over to Leo. "This Leo?"
"Yeah," Jason nodded. "Mom, I'm gay."
"Oh. That's good. He came to the hospital at this time to be with you."
"Yeah," he smiled at Leo. "He's pretty great."
"Just because your nose is broken doesn't mean you get to be this cheesy," Thalia laughed.
"Yes I do."

[JASON GRACE]

They got home late, but at least he was feeling mostly better. Well, his nose hurt like shit. That wasn't the biggest problem though- he couldn't look at himself without feeling deep hatred. Exactly how he felt when he first realised he was gay- disgusted. Disgusted with himself.

"C'mon," Leo, who insisted on spending the night, said. "You need sleep."
"Yeah. Night Mom. Goodnight Thalia."
"Sleep tight, dear," Beryl smiled, but it never reached her eyes. It hadn't in countless years.
"Nighty night," Thalia said. "Be good."

Jason walked upstairs, knowing it was only the second time Leo had been at his house. It was still a mess, but at least his mom was sober this time.
"Y'know," Leo said, walking into Jason's room. "You kinda look like your mom. I didn't realise that until now."

Usually Jason would hate being told that- he didn't want to be anything like her. Right then, however, it felt like a compliment. Even if she wasn't the greatest, Beryl had tried. It was a lot better to be like her than like his dad.

"Yeah, kinda," Jason agreed with a smile.

[BERYL GRACE]

It was late. She sat in the lounge with a glass in her hand, swirling the drink around in it, not yet raising it to her lips.
"Beryl?" Thalia walked into the room. "What are you-" she sighed. "You should be in bed."
"Thalia," Beryl frowned. "I-"
"You- come on. Just go to bed."
"I'm sorry, Thalia. I'm trying my best."
"I know. I know, Mom."

She never called her 'Mom'. It was the first time in ages. That was enough to make her set down the glass and stand up. "Goodnight, Thalia."
"Night."

One step at a time.

———

Word count: 1052

———

A/N: the graces 😍

aanyway!! I got 14 responses in the survey i linked in the last chapter, so thank you to everyone who submitted a reply:))

The majority of you wanted a boarding school au, but don't worry, I'll try include as much of the parents, Jules Albert (my love) and other characters that won't be at school with the 12

Someone mentioned how Solangelo wasn't well developed and I absolutely agree, me and the amazing co-writer (hi!) will be developing all the relationships more

People also wanted more of the Kane chronicles and Magnus chase characters, which will definitely be happening. The reason they aren't in this fic much (not at all for the Kanes since I still haven't finished the books) is because it is tagged as a Percy Jackson, heroes of Olympus and trials of Apollo fanfic, however in the rewrite it will also be a Magnus Chase and Kane chronicle fic (mainly CHB chronicle based though)

Most people wanted all 12 to have their own pov, so that will be staying:)

Again, a few people mentioned undeveloped friendships (Nico and Reyna mainly) and yes!!!/!!-!//!/! I can't wait to rewrite them and make them best friends. All of the characters, too!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!!! <3