FRANK ZHANG

"Better, Frank Zhang!" Frank's grandmother shouted when the arrow flew above the glass.

He drew another arrow and aimed. He plucked the string, making sure his aim was accurate. He pulled it back, taking in a breath and let go. He watched as the arrow built speed, shooting into the glass and knocking it off the small table, breaking it in two. He let him arm drop.

"Good, Fai. Just nine more to go." Frank looked at the remaining glasses and sighed, before drawing another arrow.

———

Ever since he moved in with his grandmother in America from Canada, she'd made him do 'training'. He wasn't sure why, but he had to obey. He knew he'd gotten much stronger since he moved from Canada because of the training, but his grandmother always said there was 'room for improvement'.

He walked up to his bedroom. He had a chemistry test he'd need to study for.
He sat at his desk, looking around his room. Although he'd been living with his grandmother for four years, it still didn't feel like home. He moved before starting high school, when his mother went to war. She died a noble death during Frank's sophomore year, saving other soldiers from a grenade.

Frank's father had died in war when he was only a baby, too, meaning Frank had to stay in America with his grandmother until he was old enough to move out. He'd made good friends in the states, but he still missed his old life.

Frank took out his chemistry textbook when his phone vibrated. He picked it up, seeing a text from Percy.
Percy: hey man, is it ok if I come over? Grover's in the hospital (for a checkup Dw) and u no what Rachel's dad is like
Frank knew his grandmother wouldn't be happy, but he also knew what Percy's living conditions were like.
Frank: yeah, sure. Is everything okay? I can come collect you.
Percy did have a driving license, but couldn't afford a car. His stepdad, Gabe, wouldn't let him use his car, either.
Percy: yea, just Gabe being Gabe and it's ok I'll walk

Percy arrived a little while later, kicking his skateboard into his hand. Frank went to the front door and instantly knew by Percy's face that something was wrong.
"I hope Gabe falls into the fiery pits of hell." Percy muttered, walking inside.
Percy told Frank about what Gabe had done- the same as usual.
"Grover's right, man. You need to tell your mom."
Percy said nothing.

Frank's grandmother wasn't too happy to see Frank had friends over, especially not 'irresponsible, troubled' Percy. Frank ignored her stern look.
Percy clearly didn't want to talk about his stepdad anymore, so they decided to play video games for a while. They both were supposed to be studying for the chemistry test, but that seemed boring.
"We'll fail together." Percy reassured Frank.

———

After dinner, they went for a walk. The sun was already setting, though it was only six o clock.
Frank tried to avoid talking about Gabe.
"I think Jason Grace lives in one of them houses." Frank said, walking past a housing estate. His statement was proved to be true a minute later. There was shouting coming from one of the houses, one of the voices definitely being Grace's. Frank had heard him shout many times before- usually while fighting with Percy.

"His poor neighbours." Percy muttered, before there was a crash that sounded like glass shattering. Percy paused. The shouting stopped.
"We should make sure he's okay." Percy said, his tone suddenly changed.
"What? We can't just walk into his house."
But Percy's face said enough. Knowing about his home life, Frank understood.
"I know we can't but- something could've happened." Percy took out his phone. "Ugh. I don't have him added on my phone."
"Neither."

Luckily, Jason walked out of his house. He didn't seem to be hurt, but he slammed the door behind him. Frank looked over to Percy at the same time as Jason.
"Grace-" Percy rushed over to him. Frank knew Percy hated Jason, but he still looked worried.
Jason nodded. "Jackson." He kept walking.
"Are you okay?" Frank asked.
"Fine. Why?"

Percy just raised an eyebrow. "We did hear-"
"You shouldn't have been listening." Jason snapped.
"Oh well sorry, but it's just a bit hard when you were practically screaming!"
"Percy-" Frank warned. Percy tended to lose his temper quickly.
"Still, it's none of your business."
"I'm just making sure you're okay. That didn't sound okay." Percy said, taking a breath in.
"Like you'd understand."
"You'd be surprised."
Neither of them said anything for a few seconds.

"I can drive you to Reyna's. Or Sherman's. Or Damien's." Frank offered, though he didn't know where any of them lived.
"I don't need your pity."
"You should be grateful we care." Percy said. Frank knew a fight was going to start, as per usual.

"Okay- okay. We'll leave you." Frank said before Jason could reply to Percy.
"Good. And don't tell your other dumb friends about this."
"Our friends aren't-"
"Come on Percy."
Percy walked away angrily, after glaring at Jason. Though he was clearly furious, he kept glancing back at Jason's house.

———

Percy stayed for the rest of the evening until his mother rang, asking where he was. He lied, saying he went over to Frank's to study. He didn't mention Gabe.

Frank knew Percy had to tell someone what Gabe was doing, but he'd already begged his friends to not go to the police. Frank didn't want to betray his trust, but kept trying to encourage Percy to talk to someone.
Percy left just minutes after Sally called.

Frank couldn't help but feel guilty. He'd been complaining about his grandmother's strictness, but it was nothing compared to what Percy had going on, now Jason Grace, too. Sure, he wasn't a great person, but everyone deserves somewhere safe. Everyone deserves a family.

———

Word count: 990 😧

———

A/N: hi hi hi! Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I was on holidays:) and sorry for this chapter being so short, I love frank with all my heart, but his POVs are so hard to write 😩. My first draft of this chapter only had like 300 words which is why I added the whole Jason thing. I don't even remember Frank's povs in HoO (apart from that one blessing of Mars one) so this was super hard to write. But thanks for reading!! Ily!
-Rachael