NICO DI ANGELO

"Nico just don't-" Hazel was saying when Nico seen Octavian. He'd never fought back when Octavian was being mean. He never fought back when Octavian punched him. He'd simply dry the blood and get on with his day.
This time was different. Octavian targeted Hazel. It was Nico's fault. If Hazel wasn't related to him, Octavian would never have noticed her. He had to defend her.

Octavian started walking towards them, ready to bully them for his entertainment. So Nico did the dumb thing. He threw the textbook in his hand at Octavian. It was an English textbook, anyway. It belonged in the trash. Octavian was close enough to trash.
"Nico-" Hazel warned, but Octavian was already prepared for a fight. So was Nico.

Nico moved away from Hazel so she wouldn't get hurt. Octavian was much taller and stronger, but Nico wasn't going to back down. Hazel was shouting curse words at them, like she usually did when she was mad. Nico wasn't listening. He punched first and thought things were going well. Then Octavian started hitting back.

Nico tried to continue fighting. He managed to get another punch in. Then Hazel tripped Octavian.
If she didn't, Octavian definitely would've 'won'. Now he was on the floor, though he was being a little over dramatic. Nico didn't know why until he seen four people approach.
"Oh fuck." Hazel said, which pretty much described how Nico was feeling.

"Hey- hey, hey-" Blofis rushed over to them. Of course it was the goddamn English teacher. With him was Jason Grace, Grover Underwood and Percy Jackson. Percy just had to be there, didn't he? He looked at Nico with concern. It must've been obvious Nico was hit a good few times. Nico looked away from Percy.
"They- they beat me up-" Octavian said to Mr.Blofis.
"Oh go f-" Hazel began, but stopped herself.
Blofis sighed. "Octavian, go to the school nurse. Hazel, Nico, come with me. There is a camera right there. That will tell us who started this."

The camera. How was Nico so dumb? Octavian stood up. Nico had thrown the first punch, it was clear he started the fight.
Mr.Blofis started walking, the five students following him. Octavian walked past Nico, on his way to the school nurse.
"Hazel can't replace your actual sister." Octavian said as he walked past. It was obvious Hazel and Percy heard the comment, too. Percy turned around, ready to charge at Octavian. Nico tried to ignore Percy.
"Mr.Jackson-" Blofis said as soon as he seen Percy about to attack Octavian.
"Ugh-" Percy said, returning to Grover.

It was obvious Jason and Percy were there because they were in a fight. They were glaring at each other and every five seconds Grover would stick his finger up at Jason.
They got to the principal's office and Mr.Blofis knocked on the door.

They entered and Mr.D rolled his eyes.
"Yesss?" He asked, bored.
"Sorry to bother you during lunch, sir, but these two-" Blofis pointed to Percy and Jason. "Were fighting each other. And these two-" he pointed to Nico and Hazel. "Were fighting another kid."
"Uh-huh." Mr.D took a gulp of red bull, perhaps hoping it would actually give him wings and he could fly away. He didn't have the luck. "And the other one?" He nodded to Grover.
Blofis shrugged. "He came along."
"Give them all detention. Gleeson's already doing one in the library. Bye bye."

Mr.Blofis looked even more lost than before. Was he searching through his dictionary brain for the right word? Was he perhaps inarticulate.
"So you're just giving all of us detention?" Percy asked. "You gave my friend detention because the teacher was being transphobic towards her."
Nico knew Percy was talking about Rachel straight away. He'd texted her a few times since they talked on Saturday night. Now he hated Mr.D a whole lot more.

"Huh?" Mr.D asked.
"Rachel Dare and Frank Zhang. You gave them detention because the teacher misgendered Rachel." Grover said.
"Oh that was the reason? Wait which teacher? I've been bored. I wanna fire someone." Mr.D set down the red bull.
"Wait really?" Percy asked, clearly not expecting Mr.D to help them.
"Yeah. Beat each other up all you like, I don't care. But staff being transphobic to a kid? That kinda sucks."
Now Nico liked Mr.D a whole lot more.
"Please don't beat each other up." Blofis muttered.

Percy told Mr.D the teachers name.
"Paul, can you get him for me? He should be in the staff room." Mr.D asked.
Blofis sighed. "Yes, sir. The rest of you can go, but you have detention this evening. Don't even think about fighting again."
Jason left first. Percy and Grover were still talking to Mr.D about everything the teacher said to Rachel. Nico left, dreading detention. Percy, Grover, Jason and maybe Rachel and Frank? That was a recipe for a disaster.

Nico texted Jules-Albert as soon as he left the office.
'Me and Hazel got detention, so there's no point in coming to collect us for an extra hour or two after school lol.'
"Sorry, Hazel," Nico put his phone back into his pocket. "I should've known better than fight Octavian."
"Hey, don't worry. Thanks for trying to help me, though. I appreciate that."

[HAZEL LEVESQUE]

She smiled at Nico, but Octavian's words kept repeating in her head.
Hazel can't replace your actual sister.
Hazel didn't want to replace Bianca. But Octavian said actual sister. She just wanted to be Nico's younger sister. Not 'half' sister. Not a replacement.

———

Word Count: 926 (uh oh)

———

A/N: short chapter whoops!! But yeah Mr.D ❤️❤️
I included him firing the transphobic teacher since Dionysus is kinda like the god of gender confusion and things?? Idrk. And obviously Mr D is the mortal version of Dionysus. But yeahhHhHhH

Timeline time (only this one + 3 more, Annabeth, Grover and Rachel to go.)

Ages 0-9
Nico lived a relatively normal childhood. He was raised in Italy by his mother with an older sister, Bianca. Their father would rarely visit so Nico didn't really know him. He could only speak little bits of English. Nico and Bianca's mother, Maria, died when Nico was nine. The Italian police got in contact with their father and he flew to Italy to bring them to America. They both had to start learning English straight away. Bianca was a quick learner, but Nico didn't find it so easy.

Ages 10-12
Nico hated living in America. He missed his home and his mother. Bianca and him started school. Bianca was 12 at the time and she started making friends (Percy, mainly). Only a few months later, she died while with Percy. Nico hated Percy, even though it wasn't his fault. Nico closed himself off and never made new friends.

Ages 13-16
Nico continued living with so much hate because of what happened to both his sister and mother. However, when he started highschool and started seeing Percy around the school, he realised he'd had a crush on him since he was 10, but didn't want to admit it ever. He hated Percy still. When he was sixteen his half sister (who he didn't know about), Hazel, moved in with them. He's now in his junior year.