JASON GRACE

Jason called Leo on Friday night, planning to meet up the next day. Just the two of them. The thought terrified Jason. The thought of being with Leo, however, made it a little less scary.

The problem was that they couldn't decide where to meet. They couldn't go over to each other's houses. That was an instant no. It was too cold to just hang out in a random place in middle of nowhere. Jason was too scared to go to a public place.

SupersizedMcShizzle: people will think we're just two friends. There's no reason to panic

Jgrace1: that's not true. Someone from school will notice then everyone will know

SupersizedMcShizzle: come on. Percy and Grover go EVERYWHERE together and no one assumes they're dating. Same with me and Will. We literally went to Texas together for like half a week.  Plus the four of us like men. Everyone thinks you're straight. no one will assume anything

Jgrace1: there's a difference. Percy and Grover don't like each other. You and Will don't like each other.

SupersizedMcShizzle: so what do you suggest?

Jgrace1: idk.

SupersizedMcShizzle: helpful. I don't mind the cold if you just wanna go somewhere private.

Jgrace1: I'm sorry that I'm so scared.

SupersizedMcShizzle: it's ok. I'm scared of Annabeth, we all have fears

Jgrace1: what

SupersizedMcShizzle: nevermind. What I meant was we don't have to make anything public yet. I'm okay with keeping it a secret. Oh, apart from piper. She has to know EVERYTHING. Plus Hazel. She's helped me too much to just not tell her

Jgrace1: I'm okay with them knowing. Reyna and Nico, too. Eventually the rest of our friends. Just not yet.

SupersizedMcShizzle: i'm willing to wait
SupersizedMcShizzle: so, anyway, wanna go on a super cringe picnic even though we'll be freezing

Jgrace1: uh, yes.

• • •

Jason wanted to make it mean something. Leo deserved more than the best, especially for putting up with him. His best shot was to take Leo on better dates when he was braver, so he had to get money. He had been looking for a job, but with no experience, it wasn't that easy. He'd manage, though. He had a new reason to try.

He met Leo outside the orphanage, both of them shivering with the cold.
"Nyssa packed us some things before calling me a loser for going on a picnic," Leo grinned.
"She knows? I mean, of course. Tell her I said thanks."
"She's my sister. Of course, she knows."

Jason tried to ignore that comment. Thalia didn't and wouldn't know. She probably didn't know what age Jason was, never mind anything about his fucked up love life.
Thankfully, Leo did enough talking for the both of them, so Jason didn't have to say much.

They stopped in a random place- close enough to a lake, which was starting to freeze over. They sat under a tree, even though the grass was wet. And cold. Really cold. Leo didn't seem to think it was that bad, thankfully.

"Piper's not mad at you anymore," Leo said randomly.
"She's not?"
"Nah. But she says glaring at you is funny, so she'll continue."
Jason smiled. "Okay."
"Why are you smiling?"
"Because."
"You're an idiot," Leo rolled his eyes, then moved slightly closer to Jason.

"I'm sorry for making you stay out here in the cold, I know you're probably freezing," Jason said.
"Nah, I'm like Elsa. The cold never bothered me anyway!" Leo grinned. "Kidding. It is really cold. And I don't have cool ice powers. But that's okay."
"We can keep each other warm. I don't know how to fix the ice power problem, though," He said, taking both of Leo's hands to warm them. Then Leo pulled his hands away to steal Jason's glasses.

"Leo!"
"I think they look better on me," Leo put the glasses on. "Oh shit, you're blind."
"No shit."
"How many fingers am I holding up?" Leo said, holding up his middle finger.
"I've been asked that question millions of times."
"So you can see!"
"Obviously. Everything is just blurry, I'm not completely dumb."
"You sure?" Leo asked, sticking Jason's glasses back onto his face.
"Thanks-" Jason muttered, adjusting the glasses.

"So, where are we going next time?" Leo asked.
"Next time?" Jason gave him a sidewards smile, before Leo pushed him.
"Don't be annoying. That's my job."
"You're very good at your job, then. I don't mind where we go. But if it's in public, we aren't making anything too obvious. I'm sorry."
"Yeah, don't worry, I get it. It doesn't really make a difference where we go. I'll be with you. I think that's all that matters."
Jason continued to smile. How could Leo Valdez be so perfect?

"I'm ready to tell the rest of our friends," he said eventually, still not completely sure of himself. "I'm not sure how. Who doesn't know? Grover, Frank, Rachel, Will, Percy and Annabeth, right? Well, I'm ready."
Leo gave him a hug. Jason didn't move away.
"That's great. Will is gonna be hella shocked. That guy is dense."
"Super dense. And he doesn't realise the rest of us are more observant."
"What does that mean?" Leo asked.
"Oh, come on!" Jason laughed. "Don't pretend you haven't seen him around Nico. 'Feel my hands, they're shaking'. It couldn't be more obvious."

"Yeah, fair point. Even his cousins noticed and they don't know Nico. Talking about obvious, when are Percy and Annabeth gonna hook up?"
Jason frowned. "I haven't noticed it."
"Yeah, well," Leo shrugged. "Maybe that was my imagination. I hope. Well- never mind."
"You don't want Piper to be upset?" Jason guessed.
"You noticed?"
"That she likes Annabeth? Yeah."
"Right," Leo nodded.
"Enough about who our friends like."
"Mhm," Leo slowly rested his head on Jason's arm.
Jason was afraid of what to do or say- what if he messed up again?

They sat like that for a while- actually, about thirty seconds. Leo Valdez couldn't sit still. Instead, he took out a bunch of nails and screws from his pockets.
"What are you doing?" Jason asked.
Leo shrugged. "I don't like staying still."
"So you just carry screws everywhere with you?"
"Having ADHD ain't easy. Sometimes you just have to find what works best for you. Same with being autistic, I guess. I don't talk about it much. People are different. People are weird."
"Yeah- of course. I didn't mean-"
Leo smiled. "It's okay. Maybe we should go home soon, though."

"Yeah," Jason agreed. "Soon."
"Well, I don't mind staying here."
"We can't stay forever."
"Why?"
"We wouldn't see our friends again. And we'd die-"
"Hm, yeah. Couldn't live without Pipes."
Jason suddenly laughed. "Why are we even having this conversation?"
"I don't even remember what we were talking about."

That was when Jason realised how easy it was to talk to Leo- he didn't have to put on an act. He didn't have to pretend. It was much easier to be himself. And for the first time, he wasn't ashamed of it.

———

Word count: 1169

———

A/N: once again I panic wrote this cause I haven't posted in longgg time. Well not panic wrote but it's not written well. What am I even saying?
Anyway, the next few chapters will probably be more Christmas themed since it's almost Christmas, but I don't wanna overdo it for readers who don't celebrate Christmas. So yeah:) BYE