ANNABETH CHASE

Fredrick Chase had never been an only child. However, when he married Annabeth's step mother, he pretended to be and cut off contact with his two siblings. Annabeth never went back to Boston to see her relatives. She could barely remember their faces- her uncle, Randolph had been a buff guy who was slightly intimidating, though that was practically a Chase gene. Natalie was nicer, had a pixie cut. She was the coolest person little Annabeth had ever met. Natalie's son, Magnus, was a year younger than her. She doubted he'd even remember her. That was until she received an Instagram DM.

She expected it to be a scammer, but she accepted the request, reading the message from 'beantown_chaser'. Whatever that meant.

Beantown_chaser: hi! Is this Annabeth Chase?

Wisegirl: yeah?

Annabeth went to check the profile picture to see if they were someone she knew, though it was super unclear, a bunch of people shoved into the one.

Beantown_chaser: Annabeth! It's Magnus:)

She set down her phone. Surely he didn't mean-

Wisegirl: Magnus Chase?! My cousin Magnus?

Beantown_chaser: yeah! I've been trying to get into contact with you for forever!

Wisegirl: oh my god! How are you?

Beantown_chaser: I'm great. Went through a couple of tough years, but that's hard to explain over text.

Wisegirl: we need to meet each other again, then. You're still in Boston, right?

Beantown_chaser: yep. When is spring break for you? Or is that too early. My friends want to go on a road trip, so I could get them to go to New York

Annabeth was cautious to reply. Spring break was next week. Was that too soon? It all seemed so rushed, but Magnus seemed calm. She could barely remember what he looked like. But still, he was her little cousin. He hadn't forgot about her like every other family member.

Wisegirl: next week. I can send nearby hotels if you want.

Beantown_chaser: same for us! That'd be great!

She set down her phone again. The Chase family had always been fucked up. Maybe seeing Magnus again, having someone to understand her family, would change that. Spring break. One week away. She was going to see her cousin again.

• • •

She went over to Sally's apartment that evening for dinner and told Percy about Magnus. He seemed excited, asking to meet him because 'he wanted to meet a cool Chase'. After Annabeth told him about the neglect she faced as a kid, he had a slight grudge against her family. Though she was a little annoyed as she was a 'cool Chase'.

"I don't know," Annabeth sighed. "I mean, I can't wait to see him. But last time was Thanksgiving when I was five. We've both changed since then, obviously. I don't know."
"Annabeth," Percy said. "Look at me. Magnus was your best friend as a kid, yeah?"
"I mean- I guess. Sorta. Yeah."
"He might've changed, just like you, but that doesn't mean he's not gonna still be a good person. Just meet up with him. You can leave if something happens. I'll happily go with you, too."

She smiled. "Okay. Thank you. I-I'm looking forward to seeing him again. He's bringing friends, too. I'm not sure how many. Probably just two or three."
"Not if he's in as big of a friend group as ours."
"Oh, god. Well, he's not gonna take more than three friends to New York. He's a Chase. He's smart,"

Annabeth couldn't help but think of the profile picture with a good few people in it. It was unclear, and she still wasn't sure what Magnus looked like now since he didn't post any photos. Still, he wouldn't bring all of his friends. Well, if he did, Annabeth would just hope they were more calm than her 11 idiots of friends.

Percy laughed. "Hm, I guess. Grover's cousin is coming for spring break, too. Guess that's our plans for spring break."
"Only plans?" Annabeth asked with a smile.
"Well- unless you have something in mind."
"I don't know," she sighed. "Maybe just- the two of us go somewhere."
"Perhaps," he mused.
"Perhaps," she rolled her eyes. "What are you, an ancient philosopher?"
"Yes."
"Shut up."
"Okay."

Annabeth smiled and kissed him.

———

Word Count: 704 😭

———

A/N: wasn't planning on this being a long chapter, just lettin y'all know that Magnus & co are coming soon. Since this is mostly CHB chronicle based, I'm trying not to add too many spoilers from the Magnus Chase books, though some canon (an non-canon cough blitzstone) relationships will happen so that could be a potential spoiler? But yeah <3 thank youuu:)

Also I know the way Annabeth and Magnus talked was very random like
"Yo I'm your cousin you haven't talked to since you were five"
"Oh hey lol wanna meet up."
"For sure. See you next week."
Like 😭😭😭