PERCY JACKSON

Annabeth left a while after breakfast, leaving Paul and Percy to do the washing up which was totally unfair. Sally was in her bedroom, working on her novel while Tyson was still sitting at the table, trying to figure out how to make a warship.

"Percy, I've been thinking," Paul said, his voice pretty quiet.
"Oh dear. Is it about the meaning behind Macbeth?"
Paul laughed. "No, though I could-"
"No thanks."
"Okay. But seriously, I want to ask you something, and it's fine if you say no. I completely understand. You can have time to think about it, too."
"Uhm- okay?"
"I want to propose to your mother."

Percy didn't know how long he stood there, staring at Paul. His first instinct was to panic- memories of Gabe coming back. After Gabe married Sally, stealing her money had been easier. It was easier to get away with abuse, too. Paul mightn't have been Gabe, but that didn't mean he wasn't like him. But he looked back at Paul, who was clearly being patient, a friendly twinkle in his eyes. Percy knew how good of a dad Paul was to Tyson- understanding. Listening. His panic subsided.

Okay, he pretended to hate Paul, obviously. He was his English teacher, obviously he 'hated' him. Though, when he'd wake up some weekend mornings and find Paul reading the newspaper at the kitchen table like a loser, he didn't mind, because his mother would be happy. Or when Sally and Percy would fight, which did happen, Paul would help them sort it out. Percy also hated when Tyson called him 'brother' but at the same time, he was proud that Tyson saw him like that. There'd been struggles since Sally started dating Paul, but things had been better, too. So Percy gave him his answer. "Yes."

"Are you sure?" Paul asked.
"Certain. As long as there's no Shakespeare references in the vows."
He laughed. "Deal."
"Now I better go get ready- I'm going out with friends."
"Alright," Paul smiled as Percy went to his room.

It was a while before he was going out with friends, but he needed some time alone. At least he had plans to distract him for the night- he, Rachel, Grover and Frank were going out for dinner, just the four of them, like old times, to talk about college. Well, Rachel wasn't going to college, but she had to be invited. Cause they loved her, of course. Since Percy had a long time to get ready, he FaceTimed Annabeth. She could always make him feel better.

"Hey," she said.
"Hi," Percy smiled, seeing her face.
"Wassup? I'm trying to study."
"Loser. Uhm- so something happened."
"Oh god, what?"
Percy made sure to talk quietly so Sally wouldn't hear. "Paul's gonna propose."
"Wh- oh. Oh, that's great," she paused. "Is that great?"
"Yeah. Well- it's okay. I'm happy. Just scared."
"I get it. Marriage is a big step."
"Wanna come over later?" Percy asked. "After I come home from lunch with the others? I'd rather- y'know- talk about feelings in real life. Not over the phone."
"I'd love to," she kissed the camera, making Percy laugh. "Have fun at lunch. Tell them I said hi."
"Will do. Talk later. Love you."
"Love you, too."

• • •

Percy was the last to arrive, as always, but his friends didn't mind. Rachel jumped up instantly to hug him, followed by Frank and Grover shamelessly hugging him, too.
"I've missed you guys," he said, sitting down.
"You see us at school," Frank said.
"Yeah, but still."
"Nah, I get it," Grover sighed. "You all be hanging out with your girlfriends and-"
"Grover's lonely-" Rachel butted in.
"You're going to meet someone in college," Frank patted his back. "I'm sure of it."
"Or I'll die alone."
"God, ever since when were you so melodramatic?"
"I don't know. Ever since every single person in our friend group has a partner."
Percy raised an eyebrow. "Not Nico, Piper or Will."

Everyone laughed at that, including Percy, because Nico and Will were absolutely not single, even if they thought they were.
"Even Piper has my cousin fallin' for her," Grover said. "Oh, that was a secret."
"It was obvious," Rachel shrugged. "No worries."
"Anyway," Frank said. "We came here to make college plans."
"Number one," Grover held up one finger. "Get accepted into a college together. Number two," he held up another finger. "Find someone to love,"
"We love you G-man," Percy blew him a kiss.
"Awk. Well, I guess I'll happily third wheel- thirteenth wheel- for the rest of my life."
"Great," Rachel smiled. "So, onto the college plan!"

They talked for a while, certain that Grover, Frank and Percy were going to the same college. They settled on having NYU as their first option, to be closer to home. Rachel heavily encouraged this option.
"What if we get a house together," Rachel gasped. "I won't go to college and be a house wife! For you all! While painting and making money my own way to be rich- I'm already rich but-"
"Talking about being rich, you clearly don't know how much a house costs in New York," Grover said.
"Just a suggestion," she shrugged.
"I like that suggestion," Percy smiled. "We'll think about it. But I'm going home to my mom's every weekend. Or to see Annabeth- wherever she's going."
"Where is she thinking about going?" Rachel asked.
"I don't know," Percy sighed. "I mean, I don't want her to be far away from home. At least Frank will be able to see Hazel every so often but- I don't know."

"Couples," Grover sighed.
"Hey, I'll be apart from Reyna, too. She is an overachiever."
"Meaning?" Frank asked.
"Harvard," she whispered. "She's applying for Harvard."
"You're kidding," Percy said.
"Nope," Rachel said, but she looked slightly proud of her girlfriend.
"I don't know where Annabeth's going, though. What if she's like- in California or something?!" Percy frowned. Being away from Annabeth just didn't feel right.
"Has she thought about NYU?" Grover asked.
"What?"
"I mean, if we do end up renting an apartment- I'm sure there'll be room for Annabeth."
"Wait- are you guys okay with that?" He grinned.
"Of course," Rachel said. "I need another girl to keep me company."
"I'll- I'll talk to her about it."

• • •

Annabeth came over that evening to study. Well, she studied. Percy scrolled on his phone.
"Annabeth?"
"Mm?"
"Where are you going to college?"
"I don't know," she said. "Why?"
"Well, you know I'll miss you when you're away."
"I'll miss you too."
"Have you ever thought about staying in New York? Going to college here?"
She looked up from her laptop. "I mean- it's an option."
"Do you want to move in with me, Rachel, Frank and Grover so we'll see each other everyday and night and you won't be thousands of miles away-"

Annabeth shut him up with a kiss. "Seriously?"
"If you want."
"I'd love to! Well- what do you mean move in with you, Grover, Frank and Rachel?"
"Oh, we're renting a house or apartment-"
"Ever since when were you rich?"
Percy laughed. "It might be a small apartment but- hey, Rachel said her dad has connections. It won't be that bad."
"Won't it?"
"Nah. Trust me."
"Fine," Annabeth smiled. "I'll think about NYU."
"Love you."
"I love you too," she said before going back to studying.

After a while, she looked up from her laptop again.
"So, how do you feel?"
"What?" Percy said.
"About- Paul proposing."
"Oh. Uhm. I'm okay with it."
"You sure?"
"I mean- yeah. I just want Mom to be safe and happy."
"I really think she will be," she smiled.
"Yeah?"
"Yeah. Definitely. Now let's look at accommodation for NYU, okay?"
"Okay."

———

Word Count: 1294

———

A/N: didn't mean to abandon y'all. Uh, seriously no explanation other than no motivation. I had covid, too, which SHOULD'VE gave me more time to write but... uhh yknow. I'm fine now though. During that time I wrote the start of another fanfic with a different AU though I doubt anyone would be interested lmfao, but yeah, so sorry for this shit chapter. As I say after every chapter. But percabeth going to college together was a must. Ily all xoxo