CHAPTER XV: INTERIM

in·ter·im
/ˈin(t)ərəm/
the time between one event, process, or period and another; the intervening time.

RULES TO INTERIMS
- when an interim (a situation where a traveler has to stay in a timeline or reality in order for a certain event to happen) is occurring, it's important to stay safe and follow time travel protocols at all times.
- during interims, time is vulnerable and often not paid attention to. so don't be surprised if changes or unexpected events occur.

key
- y/f/f - your favorite flowers
- y/f/c - your favorite color(s)
- trigger warnings!: none.

key- y/f/f - your favorite flowers- y/f/c - your favorite color(s)- trigger warnings!: none

NIHACHU'S BAKERY, MANBERG.

ON Y/N'S WAY IN, they grabbed a free newspaper that was being handed out by a random passerby, shouting somethings about eret's dethroning and the kingdom next door to bring in the attention of pedestrians.

when you went up to the register, niki greeted you with a toothy grin. "guten morgen, y/n/n! want your usual?" "hallo niki. ja of course i would." you replied cheerfully, making niki giggle and quickly retrieve your order. when you finally came back recently after going missing, her and callahan were extremely happy to find you safe.

you went back to your routine of visiting the bakery everyday to make up for the time gone, hanging out with niki and callahan in the mornings. niki even started teaching you a little bit of german. as you were sat at the table, you immediately cracked open the newspaper and read the main headline on eret's trial, seeing the courtroom sketches and dream's statement, making your stomach roll. it was a lot more to process than you thought.

when niki sat down across from you, placing your order on the table, she noticed how engrossed you were in the newspaper, seeing you frowning and holding a blank expression. you gave niki a quick glance. "danke." you said, thanking her as your eyes trailed back to the newspaper while taking a sip of your drink.

niki's eyebrows scrunched together, looking worried. "are you okay? did something happen?" she asked softly, bringing your attention back on her. you sighed quietly and slid the newspaper over to her, making her read the headline. you gave her sometime to read silently, watching her face contort into concern and blankness like yours.

once she was done, she looked back up at you. "well..." she started, trying to choose the right words. "that's shocking. eret is a good friend of mine... can't believe that happened." "yeah. i bet no one can." you replied, letting everything in the cold atmosphere within a warm bakery process.

of course you knew eret's dethronement occurred before the public did. you even helped him move out of the palace two days ago. you were just surprised to hear about the things he did behind closed doors and about dream being the original founder of the kingdom named after him.

after a while of empty silence, niki sighed. "at least we're both here, right?" your eyebrows twitched up a little in response. "i'm sorry i'm just-" "shell shocked? me too." you said, reached across the table to hold her hands. "it's alright, niki. you're right. i'm glad we're both here. i just have a bad feeling that this isn't the only big thing that's gonna happen." you confessed, thinking about the plan to take down manberg.