Chapter 2: Encounter

"Hey Midoriya, can you run out and get us a few items from the grocery store? I forget to add a few items to the list," Momo asked. "I'd do it myself but I got to keep an eye on my cooking."
"Uh sure what do you need?"
"I got them written down here," she said as she handed him a piece of paper. "I'll pay you back!"
He took the list, looked it over and then grabbed his coat from his dorm room. There were a few other of his classmates in the common area lounging about. It didn't bother him for to run an errand though.
He took one step outside; his breath was more visible than Shoto's ice quirk. The snowflakes fluttered and dance as they gracefully fell all around him onto the ground. As the snow on the ground crunched beneath his footsteps, he instantly wished that he had brought a friend with him to keep him company.
*****
The store was abuzz with patrons; he took a closer look at the list:
-Bok Choi
-Lentils
-Spring onions
-Yellow curry sauce
-Udon noodles
With a basket in hand, Midoriya collected the items on Momo's  list. A few minutes later all that he needed to get was the Udon noodles. The aisle for the pasta foods was somewhat barren except for a girl with orange hair.
Her clothes looked somewhat familiar as did her hairstyle. There was one last package of the noodles left; she was heading in the same direction. Without thinking, he ran so that the package would be his. She did the same.
Their hands both reached out to grab it; she spoke.
"Midoriya! Is that you?"
It was Itsuka Kendo from Class 1B.
"Oh sorry Kendo, I didn't realize that was you until now...." He stuttered.
"Its alright; do you need this?" She asked him.
"Well see Momo asked me to get a few things and this was one of them. So technically I don't need it but-"
"Say no more, you can have it," Kendo replied with a smile.
"Wait are you sure? I mean I don't want to guilt you into letting me have it, its just..."
"I'm sure, I was just going to buy them for myself but it sounds like you'll need them more."
"Well, thank you Kendo."
"No problem; how are you doing today?"
Midoriya's legs began to shake slightly as his thoughts turned to the falling snow.
"I'm alright, just a little cold from walking over from the dorms."
"Don't worry, you'll warm up soon enough."
"Actually this is the last item on Momo's list."
"In that case do you want to walk back with me afterwards?"
He froze and not from the cold. She probably meant nothing romantic by it but that still made him feel warm and bubbly inside.
"Yeah that would be nice. Are you almost done shopping?"
"Yep. Let's go," She replied happily.
*****
She carried her purse and a bag of groceries while Midoriya carried a bag of his items. The snowfall was steady and the light of the sun was giving way to street lamps.
"So did you hear about the trip to the training camp," She asked.
"Yeah its kind of odd that we're being assessed again this early after our work studies."
"Oh yeah, I heard you went with Todoroki and Bakugo to Endeavors' place; how did that go?"
"It was good, I learned how to better utilize and control Black Whip; it was a very active place to be. How did yours go?"
"Well when you're working for the number one hero, its bound to be demanding. Probably more than mine was but still hectic."
"Did you work alongside anyone?"
"Yes, Yanagi was with me."
"Ah."
They continued to walk in the evening snowfall as the campus got closer.
"I kind of like this snowfall, its quiet but also beautiful," Kendo said.
"What do you mean?"
"Well each snowflake is different than any that has come before or after it. They're like quirks, some are similar but others have completely different capabilities. But in the end, they're all the same thing, a quirk. Where else can you find something so varied and yet identical at the same time?"
He was surprised; Midoriya had never heard of an analogy before. It left him feeling tingly inside.
"That was pretty cool."
"Just like this snow," she said with a chuckle.
"Yeah lets get back before it gets too late."
*****
"It was nice being with you Midoriya."
"Same, you have a good night Kendo."
The two of them went their ways as he entered the dorm building. Momo was waiting there with a anxious look on her face.
"Did you get everything there?"
"I definitely did."