Chapter 24: Gripping

"Both classes worked hard and well. There were some issues on both sides, however class 1A has won with rounds two and three. Our assessments of each student is not complete yet but will be soon. Good job everyone!" Midnight said.
Pony sighed as her thoughts turned elsewhere. It was getting late in the day and classes were over by that point. Both classes decided to be good sports and hangout together in the evening, despite the 1B losing again.
After she had changed out of her hero outfit, Pony decided to go to back to her dorm and think about what she had seen.
She had a small lump of sorrow in her throat and eyes that were swelling with tears. The teen buried her face in her arms and began talking to herself in English.
"Hey Tsunotori, are you alright?" A voice called it.
She turned around to Momo walking right behind her. There was a look of concern on her face.
"Are you upset about the assessment?" She continued.
"N-n-no. It's worse."
"What?! What's wrong?"
"Don't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you."
******
Meanwhile
The locker room was empty except for him. The sound of him sobbing echoed throughout. He was out of his hero costume but was struggling to hold himself together.
It came true.
His nightmares.
Her nightmare.
Linked together.
By an accident similar to what they foresaw.
He couldn't get that sight out of his eyes. The expression on her face was one that seemed like death. She didn't respond to his voice or any movement. The limbs appeared broken like snapped wood. And the blood, oh kami the blood coming out of her mouth was so.....abundant that he still felt sick in his gut. His tears contained that traumatic sight.
What was he thinking? Couldn't he tell that he had accidentally grabbed Itsuka instead of the tree? Why did he need to use so much of one for all in that moment? Couldn't he have used less?
After the round had ended, Midoriya wasn't allowed to accompany his girlfriend to recovery girl despite his pleas. So he didn't know the extent of her injuries and couldn't even say sorry to her. Who knew what else he had done?
The tears had formed a puddle on the locker room floor.
"WHY?!?" He shouted at himself.
******
"You really think so?" Momo asked.
"Who knows what he is going through right now." Pony replied.
"He hurt the girl that he loved. No wonder he stopped fighting and began crying."
"Yeah, I wish I knew some way to help him."
"Are you sure? He might want to be left alone."
"Maybe I should talk to him."
"And tell him that it'll be okay?"
"Yes just give him some assurance. That might cheer him up."
Momo sighed; "I don't feel like that bringing it up with him is a good idea. At least not at this time."
"I just hope Kendo is alright, who knows what kind of injuries she sustained?" Pony said with a few tears.
"For now, let's just go back to the dorms. Do you want to meet up for dinner?"
"I'm in."
******
Later that evening
"Man what a day." Kirishima commented.
"Think your up for another round of arm wrestling?" TetsuTetsu asked eagerly.
"Nah not another one. I'm too tired. Sorry bro."
The students of both classes were sitting in the common area of 1A, sheltering from a snowfall. Some were having hot chocolate or food and chatting. Others like Bakugo and Kaminari were playing video games. Ida and Kato were talking about each other's quirks while the rest were just trying to have fun.
"Uh hey guys what's everyone doing here?" Sero asked as he came through the front door. His head was bandaged up but otherwise he appeared fine.
"Sero! How are you feeling?" Kaminari asked.
"Hey don't pause the game!" Bakugo shouted.
"I'm feeling pretty good; Recovery girl did a good job of patching me up. I should be all better by tomorrow morning. The others though...."
Pony's ears perked up at that last statement. She immediately got up from her meal and ran over to him.
"What's Kendo's health?!"
Sero sighed and spoke.
"From what I heard, her entire rig cage is broken, a cracked vertebrae and has some head trauma. It'll be longer before recovery girl releases her. But that was all in passing."
"So you don't know if there is more damage?" She replied.
"Right; I hope there isn't any further damage."
"Trust me, neither do I."
Sero walked over to Kirishima and began chatting with him. Pony returned to her meal with Momo while visibly nervous.
"Oh god I hope that Midoriya doesn't hear that." Pony said quietly.
"Hear what?"
"About Kendo's injuries. I think that would hurt him even more."
"He's probably going to find out soon enough regardless of what happens."
"Why are you talking about Midoriya? Are you wondering where he is?" Jiriou asked.
"Yeah come to think of it, he hasn't shown up for dinner; actually I never saw him leave the locker room." Ida commented. "He needs to return soon or he'll miss his curfew!"
"Who cares about the bastard?! He's probably just training!" Bakugo shouted above them all.
"In this weather? That's not like him," Kirishima mentioned.
"Jiriou, do you know where he is?" Pony asked.
"I think I saw him around near the teacher's offices. But honestly, he was in rough shape since the assessment ended. Why do you ask?"
"Its......complicated." Momo replied.
"Are you dating him?" Jiriou asked pointing at Pony.
"What?! No! Its a complicated situation."
Pony turned slightly red and ended the conversation before finishing her meal.
******
He trudged slowly through the snow, still shaking and still sobbing. There was no way he could go back to the dorms. The guilt and thoughts of suffering were too much to handle.
Midoriya was beyond devastated.
How could he been so stupid? He grabbed his girlfriend instead of the branches and sent her through several trees for crying out loud.
Instead of going to the dorms, he decided to go talk to a friend of his, a manager at a local grocery store. It wasn't far from the campus but in the snowfall, it would be a bit longer.
******
"Ding-dong!" Went a door chime.
"Midoriya! What's up?" A familiar voice said.
He sighed and slowly spoke; there were still tears on his face.
"I need help Riku."
"I can see that. What happened?"
He proceeded to explain his relationship and how he ended up hurting his girlfriend.
"Damn dude; that'll definitely hurt. No wonder you're feeling so beaten up. Fortunately I have a few thoughts."
"Really?"
"Yeah, make sure she knows your sorry and maybe give her something nice to help her heal better. Or just something nice."
"But she's in a coma; how can I say sorry?"
"Just say it when she comes around. Of course give her some space."
"But what can I get her for her injuries? I don't even know what exactly they are."
"Hmm, in that case take a classical option. Let me show you some choices."
******
"Okay that'll be 1700 ¥." The cashier stated.
"Here you go." He replied.
"That is a very beautiful bundle; she'll definitely appreciate those." Riku replied.
"Thanks again Riku."
"Anytime Midoriya; let me know how things turn out."
He left the store and entered the snowfall with his purchases.
Ten minutes passed and he was approaching the dorms. He noticed that the lights in 1B appeared to be out and could see a hive of activity in his.
"Midoriya! Is that you?"
He stopped and turned his head to see Uraraka running over to him.
"Oh hey there; what are you doing out here?" He asked.
"I saw you approaching; we've been wondering where you been!"
"I was at a store buying some.....stuff."
"Wait are those roses?" She said while pointing.
"U-uh n-n-no! Its just some food!"
"Midoriya I can see that's a bouquet of flowers. What did you buy them for?"
"Uh-uh I need to get going!" He stuttered.
"Midoriya! Can I talk to you?!" Pony shouted.
"Pony? What's going on?" Uraraka interrupted.
The three were standing in front of 1A's building by then. The snow was falling as was the temperature.
"I'm sorry Uraraka but its private." She responded quietly.
The former was shocked but then left without saying a word.
"You bought those for Kendo, didn't you?"
His face became bright red and he started to stutter even more.
"Wha-wha-what are you talking about?"
"Relax, she told me about you two being together earlier today."
"Wait she did?!"
"Yes; now did you get those for her or not?"
"Yeah......I did."
"You're a sweet guy Midoriya; how are you holding up right now?"
"To be honest, I don't feel good at all." He sighed. "I feel so horrible for what I did to her."
"Accidents happen." She replied.
"You don't know the other half of it." He said with some tears in his eyes.
"Other half?"
"I'd rather not talk about it but I really want to get these to her."
"She still in recovery and will be all night. Besides its almost curfew time. How about you leave them by her bedroom door?" Pony suggested.
"Can you show me where it is?"
"Yeah let's go!" She replied.
As they walked next door, he stopped and thought.
The other half.
"Pony I need to get something else from my room first. I'll be right back." Midoriya said as he darted off.
He burst into the common area of 1A where everyone still was. All eyes immediately turned to him.
"Hey there you are!" Kirishima said.
"Do you know how close it is to curfew time?!" Ida while chopping the air.
"Calm down Mr. Gundam," Kato said.
"Sorry guys I can't talk! Gotta take care of something!"
Before anyone else could talk, he ran upstairs to his bedroom and straight to his desk. He quickly found the other half to his gift and grabbed it.
In less than a minute he had darted back to Pony who was already covered in snow and trying to keep the roses clear. She shivered but smiled.
"Its up on the second floor, third door down the hall. You can't miss it." She said as she returned the bouquet.
As he entered the class 1B dorm building, he saw Monoma sitting on the couch.
"Ah Midoriya what brings you here after what you did to Kendo?"
"Shut. Up." Midoriya gritted through his teeth.
He climbed the stairs and found her door. He placed the roses, a note addressed to her and a small prayer in front. He made sure it was neat and tidy and not just dropped off.
"Enjoy dear." He thought to himself as he left.