Chapter 48: Calling

DING!
The elevator door opened and the two stepped out into a large, well lit room. There was a bedroom area along with a door that probably led to a full bathroom. A small kitchenette stood next to some large windows that overlooked the outside area. To say that it was amazing was an understatement.
"So this is it. This is home for the next few weeks. My place is pretty similar but with a few modifications as you might remember." Melissa said.
"I really appreciate it. Itsuka would likely be jealous if she was here."
"She sounds like a perfect woman for you. I'm so glad you got with her. I don't have a boyfriend, yet."
"So where's the lab and Akane's place?" Deku asked while a bit surprised.
"It's a few stories above us. As for Akane, she'll be next door to you. For protection obviously."
"I have to ask.... what kind of experiment you need me for anyhow?"
"So Akane's quirk is so unique that we're wondering if it can recreate lost ones. One such quirk is a theoretical one that can allow the user to safely breathe any substance besides the air around us. But we need someone who has the right body to handle that quirk. That's where you come in."
"Breathe anything? Like water?"
"Yep."
"Smoke?"
Uh-huh."
"Flames?"
"Indeed."
"Well that's great but what are the risks?"
"There shouldn't be any given how Akane is able to tailor any quirk to the recipient."
"But why me? Why not you?"
"Because the next symbol of peace needs to be stronger."
"Wait wait wait wait?!"
******
"Hello this is the hero center; how may we be of service?"
"Hi thanks for calling the hero center this is Lizardy speaking."
"Hero center, how can I help you?"
As the side kicks started manning the phones, Battle Fist got straight to work managing all the incoming calls and requests.
RING RING!!
"You've reached the hero center, what service do you require?"
"Hi do you have some heroes to spare down at the docks? We're understaffed and been struggling with hazardous freight."
"What type of hazards are they?"
"Fuel for the power plant and enhanced gasoline."
"And how many people do you need?"
"About three more would help."
"Alright, I'll send some help right away."
"Thank you so much!"
"Sato! Reiko! Shishida! The dock workers need help down at the harbor with moving some freight around."
"Wait they don't have forklifts?" Sato replied.
"I don't know exactly what they are dealing with but they need assistance."
"Alright we're on it!"
******
The next day
As noon approached, the hero center was busy as the previous day. Most of the side kicks were all over the island doing various tasks and providing assistance to the locals.
BANG!
The main door flew open and Kirishima came running in panting like he had seen a ghost.
"Hey everyone! We have reports of a possible tsunami incoming! Starting evacuations from the main shoreline already," He shouted.
"A tsunami?! But there hasn't been any earthquakes yet!" Mineta replied.
"Yeah but the water levels are appearing way lower than they're supposed to be. Even the big boats are on dry land now!"
"Sound the alarm!" Kendo shouted to Petrel, "Everyone else, prepare for moving more people to higher ground."
Petrel did her task and everyone in the center began issuing calls to the other heroes on the island of the situation.
"Oh kami! This is so stressful!" Mina whined.
Kendo immediately darted of the building towards the coastal areas to assist in evacuations.
******
"Oops, must've dropped something in the water," Toga giggled to giggled to herself.