Chapter 43: New challenges

"Everyone get into your costumes! We got a big day ahead of ourselves," Iida started, "we'll be doing combat exercises with class 1B. Mr. Aizawa says it will be different than previous one but he didn't say how."
"Another joint training exercise? Seems like we're doing more stuff with 1B these days." Kaminari said.
"It's good for us if we're going to become heroes!" Iida said while air chopping.
"It better not turn out the same as last time for me and Itsuka," Midoriya thought to himself.
After what he did to his girlfriend, he was determined not to make the same mistakes.
"Alright everyone lets go!"
Meanwhile in class 1B....
"Alright more fighting!" TetsuTetsu said.
"This isn't going to be straight up combat!" Mr. Kan said.
"It's not?"
"Representative Itsuka if you may."
"Right, today's exercise will involve us teaming up with classmates from 1A and competing in an obstacle course with objectives along the way. Unlike last time, you may choose who you want to team up with. There will be ten teams, each one consisting of two people from 1B and two from 1A. Now let's get out there and crush it!"
There was some dumbfounded looks but most students looked eager to the activity. Meanwhile Itsuka couldn't help but wonder if she should be with Midoriya for it? In any case, Battle Fist had a job to do, with or without Deku.
******
The classes were gathered outside the sports arena where the previous obstacle course was held. To everyone's surprise, there apparently was a crowd of spectating students in a stand. Present Mic spoke loudly:
"Alright everyone! Now that you're all here, it is time to assemble into teams. You have ten minutes to join two students from the other class along with someone from your class. Begin!"
As the costumed students began to join forces, Deku found himself surrounded by several of his classmates all wanting to join him. He shuddered and quivered at the feeling.
An idea dawned on him and he accepted someone unexpected.
Shoji.
Meanwhile, the rest went as:
-Bakugo and Red Riot
-Shoto and Creati (Momo)
-Jiriou and Charge bolt (Kaminari)
-Rift (Kato) and Cellophane (Sero)
-Pinky and Invisible Girl
-Uravity and Froppy
-Grape juice and Anima (Koda)
-Ingenium and Tailman
-Can't stop twinkling and Sugarman
-Tokoyami and Shinso

In class 1B it turned out to be:
-Battle Fist and Rule (Kodai)
-Vantablack (Kuorio) and Shemage (Komori)
-Jack Mantis (Kamakiri) and Real Steel
-Rocketi (Pony) and Emily (Yanagi)
-Plano (Bondo) and Comicman
-Howling Dragon (Mikasa) and Lizardy  (Tokage)
-Gevaudan (Shishida) and Phantom Theif (Monoma)
-Dragon Shroud (Rin) and Welder (Awase)
-Mudman (Honenuki) and Mines (Shoda)
-Vines and Spiral (Kaibara)
-Tsuburaba (he was his own)

The teams ended up as:
1. Bakugo and Red Riot with Jack Mantis and Real Steel
2. Shoto and Creati with Rocketi and Emily
3. Jiriou and Charge Bolt with Gevaudan and Phantom Thief
4. Rift and Cellophane with Vines and Spiral
5. Pinky and Invisible girl with Vantablack and Shemage
6. Uravity and Froppy with Mudman and Mines
7. Grape juice and Anima with Plano and Comicman
8. Ingenium and Tailman with Dragon Shroud and Welder
9. Can't stop twinkling and Sugarman with Howling Dragon and Lizardy
10. Tokoyami and Shinso with Tsuburaba
11. Deku and Shoji with Battle Fist and Rule

Once all the teams were assembled, Present Mic continued:
"Now that we have that sorted out, let's talk about what's going to be in this obstacle course today! First, you'll have to navigate a mine field followed by clearing the massive canyon from the sports festival. Following that you will be facing a gigantic patch of fire to overcome. After that you're going to need to get pass a lot of robots (and I mean a lot) and oh, did I mention that they are armed? Anyway, you're then going to be facing one random teacher who will do everything to stop you from crossing the finish line.  All of this must be done in less than fifteen minutes per team!"
"Oh dear Kami...." Kato said.
"And then that happened." Kendo commented.
"Team 1! You are up now!"
"Watch and learn extras...." Bakugo said.
As the first team began, Deku and his team quickly began discussing a plan.
"For the mine field, I think that we should try to stay airborne as much as possible by leaping over. Shoji, you're capable of flight, right?" Deku said.
"I can sort of fly but it's more like gliding on a parachute."
"So maybe you could carry us over one at a time?"
"Actually I can just shrink the mines since they are non living," Rules replied.
"We'll have to leap across the canyon though. I can carry someone across if I can build up enough speed beforehand."
"That sounds ridiculous but may be the only way possible in the time available," Shoji commented.
"And then there's the fire-"
"I can shrink the flames also."
"Okay great! For the robots, let's avoid combat; that'll slow us down a lot. Only fight if we have to."
"Sounds reasonable, then we just need to deal with the teacher," Battle Fist said.