20.

Lucille Blaire Evans

"I brought you jelly beans, chocolate frog, and some pumpkin pasties." I set down all the candy on a little wooden table next to the hospital wing bed. "Is this your way of bribing me?" Onyx laughs, opening up the box of jelly beans.

"Maybe. Just tell me who did this to you." I shamefully sigh. "It's fine, Lu. I'm getting better, so it doesn't matter. Don't you have class?" She asks, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, shit. When I come back later you better tell me." I say as I rush out of the hospital wing.

A few days had gone by since Pansy went home and the dreaded was tomorrow, my birthday. Pansy could've made it better but she isn't here. I don't have much planned anyway, just a visit to my parent's graves, like I do every year. Pansy hadn't texted me or sent an owl at all.

She's probably super busy but a simple 'hey' would be nice. "You're late, Ms. Evans." Snape lets out an annoyed huff. "Sorry, I was-"

"Just take a seat and copy down what's on the chalkboard." He interrupts me. I nod and take my usual seat. Instead of doing what Snape had told me, I discreetly take out my phone and check If Pansy responded to my text.

Lucille: "Hey, how'd your parents react?"

Lucille: "I'm going to see my parents for my birthday. So maybe you and I can meet up after?"

Lucille: "How have you been?"

I seem desperate but I just can't help myself, I miss her and only it's been three days. Snape clears his throat, now standing in front of me. "Hand it over." He places his hand in front of me. "You'll get it back at the end of class." He says as I hand him my cellphone.

I roll my eyes as soon as he walks away. "Blaise, has she answered your texts?" I whisper. "Who?" He mouths. "Pansy," He shakes his head and whispers, "Knowing her mum, she probably took away her rights as a human being." I nod in response.

I spend the day zoning out, which is not like me at all. I walk over to the hospital wing to check up on Onyx. "Oh, dear, on most occasions I would be happy that you're checking up on me but not anymore. I'm not going to tell you who almost killed me." Onyx groans, giving me her back.

"Give me a hint. I'm a smart girl I can figure it out and If you're not telling me because they told you not to, then just say I guessed it."

"Fine, you want me to tell you? Here's a hint, they told me If I touch you, they'll kill me." She turns back around. My heart stops once I realize who it is. "No, she wouldn't." I shake my head with my eyebrows knit together. "But she did." Onyx nods. I wouldn't believe Onyx if she said that but I remember how Pansy's knuckles were all bloody and she didn't want me to go in my dorm. She lied to me, Pansy lied to me.

How could I be so stupid? "Oh, my gosh. Why would she do this to you?" I softly gasp. "Jealousy, but never mind that, I'm feeling better. I can move my arm. Madam Pomfrey's bone juice really helps." She rubs my shoulder.

"You do look a lot better, but-"

"Exactly, don't worry about it. I think tonight I might be able to leave so we can do something tomorrow for your birthday." She smiles, caressing my cheek with her thumb "I think I'm just going to see my parents, thanks though." I decline her offer, making her softly pout.

"Ms. Monet, you're free to go. If your arm begins to ache, put some ice on it." Madam Pomfrey dismisses Onyx. "We had so much fun together, farewell," Onyx says sarcastically. Madam Pomfrey shakes her head and walks away.

"I need a smoke." She looks through her sweater and pulls out a pack of cigarettes. "Do you want one?' She offers as we walk out of the hospital wing. I don't smoke but after what I found out today, it doesn't matter. "Why not?" I shrug. She hands me a cigarette and lights it after I put it in my mouth.

"You know, I think I'm just going to stay out of relationships for a while. Hookups are a thing." I shrug. "You? Hookups? With all respect, you don't seem like that kind of gal." I scoff and say, "I can sleep with someone without forming an emotional relationship with them."

"Happy birthday," Onyx whispers, softly shaking me to wake up. "Go away, I don't want to get up," I mumble. "What's wrong?" She sits down next to me, stroking my hair. Everything is wrong. I should be celebrating my birthday with my parents or at least my girlfriend...ex-girlfriend. "Nothing, just leave me alone." I cover my head with my blanket.

"When I wouldn't wake up for school my mum would pour ice water on me, that seemed to work. Do you want me to get the ice water?" She jokes then laughs. "Onyx, I'm not in the mood for your jokes." I shoo her away but she stays on my bed.

"Come on, tell me what's wrong." She pulls the covers off my face. "Can you go away for two fucking seconds?" I exclaim. I get off my bed and lock myself in the bathroom, slowly falling to my ground and bringing my knees up to my chest. "Lu, is this about Pansy?" Her question only made it harder for me to hold my tears in. God, why do I have to be so sensitive?

"Just let me be, Onyx. I'll be out in a minute." I try to make my voice sound normal. "Are you crying?" She asks, then everything goes silent for a second. "Alohomora," The lock clicks and Onyx walks in. "Please, I just need to be alone."

"Trust me, you don't want to be alone. Tell me why you're crying." She sits on the ground next to me, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. I shake my head no. "Whatever it is, I'm not going to judge you, I promise." She cups my cheeks. I am going to regret this. "I don't have parents. I watched them die, nine years ago." I sob.

"Oh, Lu, I'm so, so sorry." She pulls me into a hug. "I don't tell anyone because they'll think I'm weak. But I am, I'm just a weak baby." I mutter into her chest. "No, no, no, you are so strong. Don't call yourself weak." She rubs my back.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pour my issues all over you." I sniffle and pull away from her hug. "No, it's okay. If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you." I nod and stand up. I need to get ready to visit them." I brush my teeth and hair and get dressed into some floral dress. After getting permission from Dumbledore, I make a few stops before heading over to the cemetery.

"Hey, mum, hey, dad." I softly smile as I lay down some flowers on their graves. "I brought some carnations since you loved to grow them."

"I'm finally eighteen, I'm officially an adult, without you guys. Life has been pretty chaotic recently." A single tear falls out of my eye and rolls down my cheek. I pull out a chocolate cupcake with pink icing and candied flower on top from one of the stops I made.

"I got a girlfriend, but things went south when she literally beat one of my friends and lied to me about it. But the worst part is...I think I might be falling for her. And I shouldn't because she has major jealousy and anger problems but I kind of like it because it makes me feel special, like someone actually cares about me." I say, sticking a small candle into the cupcake and lighting it with my candle.

"I mean, she broke my friend's arm but I don't want to leave her. She makes me feel like I'm the only girl to ever exist. She took me on picnics by this lake at our school and she helped me out through a panic attack and she calls me pretty girl and gorgeous. I could really use your advice now, Dad. I could really just use you, right now. I just want you to tell me it's going to be okay." I place my hand on my Dad's grave.

"I should really get going, I've already been an hour out of school...but I'll stay a little longer." I lay down on the grass. A while had gone by of me just ranting, I looked insane to other people but I felt like they could hear me. The sun was going down, setting perfectly in between the clouds. The gold from the sun outlined the clouds.

"She still hasn't texted me. But it's just a birthday text, it doesn't matter." I sigh, setting down my phone on the ground. "I really should get going now."