Chapter 9

Noah's POV:

I watched Dixie stare out the window, looking fragile and broken. There was nothing in her eyes anymore and there was nothing I could do to take what that monster did, back. If I had known, I would've stopped him from ever going near her. She was all I cared about and now the person she once was, is gone. Her skin was pale and the smile I missed, was taken from her. Dixie's soft voice spoke as if she was fine. Deep down, I know she wasn't. "I have to help Charli when we get to my house. And if it is, what I think it is, I'm gonna need you too." All of what happened to her, and she's still worried about her sister. This happened more than once. She was almost used to it. What she went through, isn't fair or right. All I can do is hope she will be okay. After all, she's the only woman I ever truly loved besides my mother and the strongest person I know. "Whatever you need, I'll do." I went to put my hand on hers, that rested on her thigh, but she pulled away, scared. "Sorry." She had no reason to ever feel sorry, especially for that. "Dix, don't apologize." A small smile appeared. It wasn't the same. Hers used to make other's smile too, when they walked past. I always imagined that would be the smile I would wake up to for the rest of my life and the one I'd choose to marry. Dixie's dimples would show when she did that. She would hate it because for some reason, she always had thought it was ugly. I, on the other hand, thought it made her even more perfect, if that was even possible. Her bruises had shown more in the lighting of the car. They looked painful. She reached for my hand and I gave mine to her. Dixie intertwined her fingers with mine. We got to her house after only a few minutes. She let go of my hand but grabbed it again when we walked up the driveway. Dixie stayed in her bathroom to change while I stayed in her bedroom. I heard crying coming from inside so I knocked on the door, hoping she would be alright. She opened the door, her tears being dry and her being calm. Dixie was holding something in her hands, but she hid it behind her back. "Stay here. I just need to give this to Charli." It was some kind of plastic thing. I'm not sure what it was. Staying, sitting on her bed for now fifteen minutes. Maybe checking up on her wouldn't be the worst thing. I'll give her some time. I heard Charli cry and then Dixie came out of her room closing the door on her way in. She had a shocked look on her face and sweat coming from her forehead. "Sorry it took so long." She sat down on her bed with her legs crossed. "Are you okay?" That was a stupid question. I should've never asked that. Of course she isn't. "Yeah." She wasn't. I could tell not only by what happened but the non-existent glow in her eyes. "I'll tell you later." Suspicious. I will let it slid. When she wants to tell me something, I'll listen. "Okay." I was sitting up on her bed with my head touching the head board. She cuddled up next to me, laying on my chest. "Thank you for helping me." I kissed her head. "I'm sorry that it happened to you." I rubbed her back. Another bruise rested there in the center. She moved from the pain of my touch. "Dixie." She moved back to where she was. "Noah its fine. Just please, hold me." I did what she asked. I held her tight, making her feel secured. "I have to go to work." There was no way I'd let her. I know she has a short shift today but there is no reason she should be doing anything. She's gone through hell, the least she needs is a break from reality. "Dix, call off." She had fallen asleep in my arms. I guess I can call off for her. I grabbed the phone off of her nightstand and I called her co-worker. He answered and I told him that Dixie wouldn't be able to go today. He understood and I ended the call. I moved us down so we would both have our heads on the pillows. She was so peaceful sleeping. I wrapped my other arm around her and fell asleep.

Her mother barged into the room, waking me up but not Dixie. "What the hell are you doing in my house?" She whisper yelled. "I'm sorry ma'am, she just needed a friend right now." Her arms were once crossed but soon, she let them fall when she noticed the obvious marks all over her daughters frail body. "Did you do that to her?" I wouldn't even think about laying a finger on her that she didn't want. "No ma'am. I would never hurt Dixie." A sigh of relief came from her. She told me to talk to her outside of Dixie's room. I let go of her and walked to her mother. "Thank you. For not only taking care of her but also loving her. I know I'm nowhere near the greatest mother to her. I also know you probably think I'm a horrible person. But she and Charli mean everything to me. You guys aren't just friends. It's never been that way. From what I've seen over the years, there is nobody who makes her smile more." This was honestly surprising. I would of never call her a horrible person though. I let out a smile from what she said. "Now tell me what happened to my daughter before I change my mind." That's the woman I grew up to know her as. I couldn't tell her what happened without Dixie's permission. "Ma'am, with all due respect, that isn't my story to tell. I won't be Dixie's voice in this. She is a strong woman and until she gives me a right to, I'm afraid I will not share." Dixie's mother smiled back at me. "You're a good man. Tell me when Dixie wakes up, I want to talk to her." She walked away and I went back to Dix, leaving a crack open in the door. I moved her back into my arms and held her until she woke up.

A/N: Sorry if this chapter is kind of short. Its late but I will try to write the next one tomorrow. But for now, have an amazing rest of your day.  :)