Chapter 52

Dixie's POV:

The monitor beeped, jolting my body up. Charli had just gotten out of surgery and was still in critical condition. The baby had caused her some kind of issues. I still wasn't sure what happened after the C-section, it was all kinda fuzzy. Everything had happened so fast. One minute I was in the room with my sister, the next, she was on an operating table. Too much blood loss had happened and she developed some kind of infection that I can't really remember.

I was laying down on Noah, waiting for Charli to wake up again. Blood transfusion and iron supplements were going to be an everyday thing for her during the next few weeks. Her I.V had moved the wrong way, causing her pain, and eventually making her breathing more rapid, as well as her blood pressure increasing.

Charli's one hand looked incredibly week. That's where the doctor had to take blood from because her veins had been too small in other areas. I held the other, still sitting on the small blue couch with my boyfriend.

The room was small, no more than the size of her bedroom. I was nervous for her. Being a slight chance either her or the baby wouldn't make it, scared the living hell out of me.

I had no idea where my mom had gone. Things might have gotten too much for her or she didn't care at all. Her little comments to Charli or about Charli had really pissed me off. Her saying, "if she wasn't such a little whore in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess." I asked her to leave after that.

Noah saw first hand today what it truly meant being around my mother.

He put his arm around my waist and pulled me in closer so I was sitting between his legs comfortably. I felt his thumb stroke my face as a way to calm me down. Charli was going to be out for a while so I shouldn't worry anyway.

I let go of her hand a fell back down into Noah. He moved my chin up to kiss me. His arms wrapped around my stomach and I felt instantly safe.

A doctor had come in shortly after, asking to speak to my mother. She had still been gone and I was still upset at her. "I'm sorry she stepped out for a bit." I said. He looked back at me and told me instead. Noah stood up with me and held my hand. "Charli's baby has something called jaundice and is also at risk being a pre-term baby. We're doing the best we can right now, making sure that she's healthy and safe." He paused for a second so I could soak in all the information. "Would you like to see her?" He asked.

I figured Charli would want to be the first person to see the baby. She wasn't going to wake up for at least a few more hours and the baby still does need comfort. I nodded. Noah smiled.

"Fallow me when you're ready." He said. I took my bag and kissed Charli's head before leaving. Noah took my hand again and we walked to the NICU together.

A mother cried in the distance. I knew immediately she had lost he child. Sick babies and tired parents filled up most of the spaces. Tubes, wires, and a bright blue light surrounded Charli's. Even though we could hardly see her face, she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen.

I remembered the child I had lost and the one I might have now. I was sad thinking of them and Charli's. Noah reminded me that this just makes her stronger. I love when he tries to make the situation better. He looked at the baby and I saw in his eyes how much he wanted one. He was almost star struck and speechless when he saw how strong she is.

Each side of the box had a small hole in it, big enough so we could touch her. We were given a face mask and gloves before we could touch her, but when we did, it was a moment of purity that I will never forget. Her hand was very small; the tip of my index finger filled up her entire palm.

The nurses had us leave shortly after because the baby needed medication. I walked back with Noah and we sat down in our old spot.

Charli told me names she considered before like Elizabeth, Faith, or others like Anne, but none of them really seemed to fit quite right. We talked about one in particular that she had almost fallen in love with. It was Rose. Short for Rosie, Rosanna, or Rosemary, she didn't mention that; it was always just Rose.

After a few hours, Charli's eyes began to open. She was in so much pain. I sat up and held her hand. "Hey. How are you feeling?" I asked. " I'm alright, just a little nauseous." She said, moving upright. "Where's my baby?" She asked. I told her about how beautiful she is and where she was. Charli wanted to see her, but she was still too weak to get up and the baby was too weak to be moved.

I guess now all we have to do is wait and hope for the best. I have a feeling that everything is going to be fine.

A/N: Hello lovely people, I hope your week has been good and everything is well. I'll see you guys soon, bye for now.