Chapter 61

Dixie's POV:

My eyes fluttered open as I reached for my phone that was ringing loudly on my nightstand. I hardly had any consciousness from the lack of sleep I got. I felt Noah move up on the bed when the phone came to me ear. I didn't even pay attention to who it was. "Hello?" I muttered. A man responded back, and I thought it had sounded familiar, yet I wasn't sure. "I'm sorry to be calling so early, but I needed to tell you as soon as I founded out. Are you in a private place?" the man asked.

"Yes. Is there something wrong?" My first thought was that someone had died or that there might have been problems in my pregnancy. He spoke again, but this time I recognized the voice; it was my lawyer. Shit. Noah looked confused. I sat up and leaned against the edge with my legs dangling. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this. Unfortunately, the case has been reopened. One of our main concerns right now, is the fact that we have a lack of evidence. So, what needs to happen is that we'll have to schedule a time to meet up. I'll need to know your soonest availability if you would like to continue with this." He paused. "I understand this is a lot to process, so please, take your time. My office hours end at six, so any time before then, I'd love to talk." He finished saying.

I took a second to breath. Noah put a hand on my back, trying to calm me down as he had heard the whole conversation. "Can I ask why it was reopened?" I mumbled out loud. He sighed, almost as if he didn't know what to say. "Well," was all he managed to say before speaking again. "It seems that he had some complications with his cellmates. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say exactly what happened, at least not over the phone because we still have to wait on medical reports. But as soon as I know everything, I will make sure to tell you." That's all he could say. Really?

I don't know how to respond. I looked at Noah and he was as confused as I was. "Well, I guess we'll have to decide what to do then. If I'm needed to make the case work, then I'd be glad to help. I just don't understand why I'd be involved when this was between him in another cellmate." I stated. My lawyer took a second to try to explain and dumb it down for me without using technical words. "From what I understand, since the cellmate had caused" he paused but began again, "the cellmate had caused harm to Griffin, his lawyers are trying to take him out and dismiss your case, since to him it caused "emotional trauma" which led to his little disagreement." He stopped.

"What the f-" Noah tried to finish but I smacked his stomach, reminding him that I was still on the phone. "I'm just not sure if I want to go through it again. If I really am needed, then I'll be more than happy to put his ass back in jail." I said, making up my mind. "I have Thursday off. I also have a doctor's appointment at eleven. After that I'm completely free, so I'll let you decide the time so it's easier." I stopped to let him look in his book. "Does four work?" He asked.

We finished up the call and I set down my phone. What kind of "emotional damage" does he think he have? Part of me wanted to be angry that he would even say anything like that after he put me through all of his shit for years, yet the other half of me wanted to be sympathetic towards him. After all, he was still human who has feelings. I wasn't sure what to think since I didn't know the full story.

"What a dick." Noah scratched his head and looked back towards me. "I'm sorry. Are you okay?" He asked, not wanting to push too hard. I stood up and gave him a small kiss, so he'd think I was fine. It wasn't like any of our other ones, I just felt nothing. "Yeah, I'm just going to go to take a shower." I left, not wanting to open a conversation. 

A/N: I'm stuck with Covid, so I have time to write while I'm in quarantine. I'll probably be publishing a lot in the next few days.