Chapter 63

Third Person's POV:

Noah held Dixie's hand tightly while waiting for her lawyer and Noah's boss to show up. Noah wanted to relieve Dixie's anxiety by holding her close, but all it did was enhance her fear. She never said anything. How could she? Noah just intended to make her feel better, Dixie didn't want him to feel how she was feeling. All she did was smile. "Let's do something" he paused a moment then continued: "fun. To take you mind off of everything a bit. After this is over. There's a new frozen yogurt place down the street, we can do that." Noah finished saying. Dixie looked down. She wasn't feeling herself. She'd rather not feel anything at all it seemed. This case really took a toll on her and the last thing she wanted was for it to affect her relationship with the man she loved in anyway.

"Baby? Are you feeling, okay?" Noah asked to his distracted girlfriend. Dixie still didn't answer. She felt as if she'd burst in tears at any moment. She looked at Noah and gave him a friendly smile. Was her feeling towards him decreasing? No. Dixie loved Noah with all of her heart, something just didn't feel right. She had been happy last week and unhappy this week. Dixie moved back to Noah's attention, fearing the unknown place she was entering in her mind. She placed a small but meaningful kiss upon his lips. Noah wrapped his arms across her as she leaned back into his chest. Noah looked over and saw his boss enter the restaurant. He felt that it was an odd choice to pick, judging that it was such a serious topic, he figured they'd meet up in an office or something, somewhere with more privacy. Dixie's lawyer walked in as well, right after him. He'd forgotten her name, and felt it was too late to ask. This made him feel bad, so he hadn't said anything. The whole system they were working out hadn't made since to either of them, which was ironic since Noah had wanted to become a lawyer. 

Dixie moved from Noah to greet her lawyers. Warm, friendly, yet fake smiles, passed to everyone around the table. While it was nice to see the people who made some justice happen, all of them had wished they wouldn't have to meet under these circumstances again. They all sat awkwardly, uncertain as to what to say next to try and not break Dixie's emotional state. They had ordered drinks and made themselves a little more comfortable. "So, about the case. I know we briefly talked over the phone about why we're even here right now." Noah's boss had started who also seemed to be her attorney as well. "I have all of the information now about exactly what happened." He said, moving a folder out of the way and opening another. Dixie's lawyer Sarah had stopped him. "Dan, before you finish..." she stopped then looked towards Dixie. "We've dealt with him before, so I know how much talking about him affects you. Please, feel free to stop us at any time you're feeling uncomfortable, or you feel you need to correct us in anyway; don't hesitate." Sarah interrupted but ultimately let Dan finish. "Yes, sorry for not making that clear before. Thank you, Sarah." He went back to talking about the case. 

"Now. I know we had originally closed this case and I'm sure you're confused as to why it has been reopened." He paused and Dixie nodded, wanting him to continue the conversation. Noah couldn't stop looking at Dixie and couldn't stop listening to the words that came out of Dan's mouth fearing anything that could trigger her. Dixie grabbed onto Noah's leg, not realizing she was accidently pulling out the hair that coated his knee. Noah seemed to not mind, not that he was even paying attention to himself. Dan cleared his throat, trying to think of a way to explain this. "Um. Gr- he. He seemed to get into a disagreement with one of his cellmates. Someone there had apparently found out what he had done and thought they should take punishments into their own hands. I hope you won't make me go into full detail, but an accident happened in a stall with a mop. From what the file says and what his lawyers have said, he tried to fight back but was ultimately knocked out when another person had also walked in." He tried to say while making sure to correct himself in case he said anything that would make Dixie emotional. Dixie immediately brought her hand up to her mouth and gasped as she couldn't believe what she had actually heard. 

Part of her felt that he almost deserved it, but she knew nobody ever deserved that. Noah's eyes bulged open, expecting the opposite thing to have happened: Griffin had raped someone while he was there and got caught. "Now all you'd need to do would be to testify why you believe Griffin should stay in prison. We know as of right now; one other victim has come forward after your trial when they heard what happened. Unfortunately, there was a second who was unwilling to testify. Would you like to know the other victim's name, you might be able to tell us if you recognize them?" Sarah chimed in again.

Dixie thought to herself wondering if she recognized the name. She took a second to think back and suddenly remembered. Dixie couldn't believe that she was a victim though, she hardly ever saw them together. "Are you sure it's Cathy? I don't remember ever seeing them together." Dixie asked, looking at both of them, but they just nodded. She put her head down again. Noah put a hand on her back. "Now, we'll have to meet up again if you choose to continue, now that you know why all of this is happening." Dan stated. "Also, a concern that we're facing, is the fact that you're pregnant. The jury is going to take one look at you and wonder how you moved on so quickly." He tried to finish his sentence, but soon had an elbow in his rib cage from Sarah. "He doesn't mean that, you're fine. We'll talk about that another day." Dixie knew that Sarah just wanted to help, but she knew the truth. While it wasn't too obvious that she was carrying, she knew that Griffin's team would know and use it against her. If Dixie brought up the earlier miscarriage, it might be able to help the case or it could very well hurt it. She didn't want Griffin to know or even Noah who had thought the fetus was his. This was a lie and one of the only ones she told Noah. The guilt always ate her up, so she tried her best to change the subject in her mind.

The lawyers talked a little more about their plans to try and solve this, but the odds weren't in their favor. They stopped for today to give the couple a mental break and for them to talk it out. "Thank you for coming." They said as they left Noah and Dixie. She looked at him, trying to keep her compulsion. Her mind seemed clouded and hardly recognizable to Dixie herself. She had to relive all of her trauma again. They stood up. Noah wrapped her up in his coat and walked her out, making sure to leave a generous tip on the table before they walked out. He opened the car door for her, and they went inside. Dixie put her hand over her face and melted in her lap. "What can I do? I can't fix this." Noah thought to himself. Instead of saying anything, he just let her cry, knowing he couldn't do anything to take the pain away anymore.

A/N: Ooof. I really hope my mood changes and I don't make any kind of break ups happen in the next chapter. I think I'll just do a big argument or something. Anyways, I hope you guys liked it. Have a magnificent day, you lovely people. Bye for now, I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow. 😊