Chapter 50

Omg guys, I made 50 freaking chapters. Thank you to all the people who stayed through all of the boring and the good chapters. Y'all are awesome. Thanks for 17k too.

Dixie's POV:
I looked up to see my lawyer standing across from me. My dress being a little wrinkled from my lack of an iron. She smiled at me, assuring me that today will go as planned. I can only hope she's right.

The jury and the judge had given me a strange look but I thought nothing of it, imagining they were just observing me.

My mom sat in the back, watching my every move. I like to think that there is a part of her that loves and cares for me. Today showed me that. She might have treated me awful beforehand, but this could just be her way of wanting to make sure I'm okay.

I doubt she'd stay, knowing her and her past. She'll come and go whenever she feels like it. With her constant change and inconsistency.

Charli wouldn't be here today. She wanted to, believe me, she did. There was something going on with the baby. Her doctor thinks that she will go into pre-term labor. Hopefully that doesn't happen. I wish her the best.

My lawyer snapped me out of my thoughts again. "I'm sorry Dixie, about Charli." She paused for a second to sigh. "I'm really just not sure what we can do here. We needed her side of the story today to win this thing. Is there anyone else who knows that might be willing to make a statement?" She asked.

Well there is one person... my mom. She knows but I doubt she'd be willing to help me. At times like this, I wanted my dad. He was a big part of my life that was now taken from me. All I have left as a parent figure is my mom.

I looked over at her in the back. She pretended not to notice me. My lawyer saw me. "I know you guys aren't great right now, but she's still your mother. She's here today and she cares about you."

I looked about about everyone else in the crowd. Noah had already spoke, the rest were family member of mine or Noah's, and a few people we knew from school. She was my only hope.

I sighed and nodded. She rubbed my shoulder as I walked away. Please let her say yes, I thought. I moved closer, sitting next to, but not too close. "Hey mom." I said with a small smile. "Hi Dixie, you're looking nice." She said a little sarcastically I think.

"Thank you for coming." I responded back. She looked into my eyes and she set her hand on my thigh. "You're my daughter, of course I'm going to be here. Believe it or not, but I care." She said, getting snarky with her words.

I don't want a fight. "Well thank you anyways." She smiled back. "I need you." I quickly blurred out. "Not surprised, the one time you come and talk to me, you need something." I looked down in disappointment as she removed her hand.

"I don't think I'm going to win, I need another witness." My mother didn't know about Charli, so I played it off. "Please mom, I wouldn't ask if I didn't." She let out a soft groan. "Fine, what do I have to say?" She asked.

Good, she's on the same page. I thought about Charli again. While my mother might have been an awful person at times, we still needed her for things. Charli needing her a lot more that me. If I didn't win this, he might hurt me again. But, with Noah living with me, I'm sure he wouldn't let that happen.

"Actually mom. You're right. I shouldn't be asking you to do this." She looked at me, confused. I'm sorry to everyone around me for what I'm about to loose. "Charli needs you more than I do right now." She was even more confused. "But kiddo, I need to be here." She said. "Charli is in the hospital, with her doctor, they think the baby is coming sooner than expected. If the baby comes now, they will most likely not survive. I just found out this morning, before I go here. Charli was too scared to say anything to you."

She took her bag. "I'm sorry baby, but I can't stay. I wish you well. Call me if you need anything and let me know what the verdict is." She hugged me and kissed my cheek. Noah and I looked at each other confused as hell. She walked out.

I moved near Noah to tell him what was going on and that we would need to go to the hospital after, no matter the result. He understood.

My lawyer called me back over. "We just have to wing it. Charli needs her more than I do. We can go off of the evidence we have and state our case.

The trial started. My lawyer, Sarah, came up, showing what little evidence we had. Griffin had a lot of excuses and "alibis." (I completely doubt I spelled that right)

We talked about how Griffin told them that I had made the whole thing up so I wouldn't have to date him anymore. As stupid as it sounded, I think some of them believed him. With the evidence we had, he could go to prison for at least two rapes, that's all. They won't believe me on the rest.

I started tearing up when I saw in the jury's eyes that they agreed with him. The most he could go to prison for would be twenty years. Why does he get to spend that short of time in jail for something I have to live with for the rest of my life. And what about that baby. It could have been his.

My mind was clouded. I just want this to be over. My prayers had been answered. We had been asked to stand up. The jury spoke briefly to the judge. Words moved about and I couldn't seem to form clear sentences. "For abuse in the first degree, we find the defendant, not guilty." I said a little prayer again to get me through this as I wiped my tears away. Griffin smiled.

"For assault and rape in the first degree, we find the defendant guilty on one count." I now had happy tears, knowing he would have to face some of the things he did. Griffin looked defeated but I was so proud. Noah walked over to me as griffin had a cop walk towards him. He would have six years. Not enough, but at least it was some time to go far away from here.

I thanked Sarah and Noah for all of their hard work. Noah picked me up and hugged me. I felt so loved today. Even though they didn't believe me on most everything, I still had some justice.

A/N: I'm back besties. I've been sick (not Covid) but I've had to deal with school, having cramps, and it has been an absolute mess. I'll be trying my best to get in that routine of sitting down and writing. These stories take hours to do, especially smut chapters but I do love to do it. Sometimes it just becomes a little tedious. I'm trying to get better. I've already started my ideas for the next chapter so hopefully I stop being lazy and put it out. 😅 Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed it. It was a little upsetting that I didn't make her get all of the justice she deserved but I really just needed a back up plan. I still have to incorporate that weird, sappy dad story in there somehow. I'll figure it out eventually, just please bare with me. Have a marvelous day and that you guys again, for everything. I look forward to reading your thoughts. Bye for now.