Chapter 37

Noah's POV:

I put my phone down and sighed. If I had known today was her day to go into court, I would've called off of work to be with her. But, if I had missed one more day, I would have been fired. Most of my vacation time was used when I had spent all the days by her side. This was my first "real job", they didn't understand that I needed to be with her. The job being, an assistant for a lawyer. Ironic, isn't it. 

I got out of my car, hurrying into the building because I was most definitely late. I'll just make up a really good excuse, yeah. Just enough to convince my boss that I wasn't late because I had sex with my... ex? Girlfriend? Friend? I don't know. It doesn't really matter now.

I stepped inside and went to the office where my boss was. He looked very upset at me. "I'm sorry I was late Sir, my mom needed me this morning. She's been sick all week, I just brought her soup." I said very fast because I was scared he would find out I was lying. He stared at me for a few seconds with a strange face.

He looked down at the paper's on his desk, then back up towards me. "Just take the damn paperwork. I need it done by three." He said, very sternly. "Thank you Sir, I promise it won't happen again." I said, slowly walking back.

My boss still looked upset at me. It was understandable, I just lied to his face. "Hey, Beck, before you leave, come up with a better excuse. I just let you keep the job because I honestly felt bad about how stupid you sounded a minute ago. If you're going to be late again, at least give me an excuse I'll believe." He said, being sarcastic.

"Sorry Sir. Thank you for letting me keep my job." My face filled up with embarrassment. "Was it at least good?" He asked. I stayed confused and embarrassed. "Sorry?" I asked, still being utterly confused. "Come on, I was a teen once too. The sex, was it good enough to miss the beginning of work?" He asked again. I got even more embarrassed but at least, he understood. "Yes Sir. How did you know?" I asked. He stood up and laughed. "Like I said, I was once a teen too. I was always late for work and my boss would get pissed off at me. I got fired of course but I came up with good excuses to get out of trouble, mostly."

We talked for a little while. He said he would definitely fire me if I came up with another pathetic excuse. To make up for the time I missed, he's making me stay an extra hour. That means I'll have to tell Dixie I can't be there for her at the time I said I would.

I tried to finish all the work I needed to do. Getting paperwork done, giving out coffee, writing, and just other stuff like that. Since I was interested in becoming a lawyer anyway, I decided to apply for this internship with starting up collage. I was lucky, finding someone who would take me in, especially with being fresh out of high school. I had the best paperwork in the class so, I got in that way. Ever since then, I've been dedicated to making the career choice work.

One day, I hope I can help people that have gone through the same things Dixie has. That's truly my main goal, having an impact in this world and being a dad, but that's for another time. Right now, I'm just hoping if I can get all my work done, I can leave a little earlier than what my boss originally said.

After seven hours, I managed to get the paperwork done and all of my writing done, along with having to hand out coffee to the other lawyer's who didn't have assistants, with an hour to spare. I walked into my bosses office when he wasn't busy talking to clients.

"Beck, I honestly don't have the patience to hear words come out of your mouth. I had a really shitty day and I know you're going to ask If you can have another day off or to go home early. So unless you have an actual excuse not to be here, I don't want to hear what you have to say." He said, sounding very frustrated. "Sir, I was just going to say I got everything done you needed me to do. Its all right here. So if you need me to stay and do more work, I'm alright with that. Otherwise, I'd like to get back home to my girlfriend, her trial was today so I want to make sure she's okay." I said, calmly.

"Fine, you're free to go. But I need you early in the morning tomorrow, so don't give me some lame excuse that your mom is sick. I won't believe it because I'll know what you were really doing. But, I did read up on your girlfriends case. It's deep, you weren't kidding." I didn't know he could look into other people's files that weren't his. Is that even legal? "I have a friend who is connected to the case; as far as the jury. I'd love to help if I could. I've dealt with this Griffin kid's father before. It's a hard case to win against that family. I've lost to them twice. I don't want to see it happen again." He spoke with compassion in his voice. "I'd have to talk to my girlfriend and probably her lawyer. But if you can help her win this case and finally put that asshole in jail, I promise I will never be late to work again."

He laughed a little bit. "I can handle the lawyer part; you just worry about that girlfriend of yours. And make sure she is safe tonight. This isn't the first girl I've seen this happen to involved with that family." He got up and walked towards me. "Thank you Sir." I said being truthful for once today. "You don't have to thank me, Noah. I want to see both of them in jail just as much as you do. Money and power can only get you so far in this world son. I have a strong feeling that this will finally be the case that knocks both of them down."

A/N: This chapter we get to see Noah and how his life is going. The story is primarily focused on all of Dixie's struggles but it's still important for Noah to have his side in this book. I hope you guys enjoyed. To make up for my absence last week-ish, I want to make sure I get three chapters in for you guys to make up for the missing chapters. The next one will be the last night before the big court chapter! After that, they can focus primarily on their relationship whether or not Dixie wins the case. Have a wonderful day and remember to be kind to others.