Chapter 13: Exploiting her weakness

Kiyotaka POV

I'm currently inside the rabbit group's meeting room. There is literally nothing going on here. Then, someone broke the silence

Ichinose: "Your attention, please! I don't know most of you, but I think we ought to introduce ourselves. After all, there are probably people here who haven't met before," she said.

Machida: "Is it really necessary to introduce ourselves, though? I don't think the school seriously meant that. I think it's fine if only the people who want to introduce themselves do it, right?"

Ichinose:  "Well, if that's how you feel, Machida-kun, I can't force you to do anything. However, a microphone might have been installed somewhere in the room to record everything we're saying, don't you think? If that's true, it may not be an issue for just the people who don't introduce themselves. The entire group might end up shouldering the blame," 

warned Ichinose. She had a point. Individual non-cooperation here could be a problem for everyone. Put like that, not even Machida could refute her. Ichinose introduced herself first. I tried to put a little effort into myself because I don't want to take too long.

Ichinose: "Hey there, Ayanokouji-kun. Looks like we're in the same group! I'm looking forward to working with you," said Ichinose.  

Ichinose: "Now that we've finished, how do you think we should proceed? Please tell me if anyone disagrees with my taking the lead," said Ichinose. Ichinose appeared ready for someone else to volunteer as leader. Of course, whoever opposed her would have to publicly volunteer him or herself.

 Some students might've been dissatisfied with how Ichinose handledthings, but since they likely feared being burdened with leadership, no oneraised their hand.

Ichinose: "Well, since it looks like no one especially wants the spot, I'll take the lead. To begin with, I think if there's any point that people don't understand or are worried about, we should all discuss it. If we don't, the situation will get worse over time. Does anyone have any questions?"

 Because people never want to speak up in front of a group and make a fool of themselves, no one raised their hand. Ichinose put a hand on her hip and smiled, undaunted.

Ichinose: "There's something I'd like to talk to you all about. I'd like you all to assume that no one here is the VIP, and I'd like for us all to work together and clear this exam. In other words, I want to know if you think our best option is to pursue Outcome #1," said Ichinose. 

Kei: "What the heck are you talking about? Isn't that obvious?" 

snapped Karuizawa.Karuizawa didn't understand, but with that simple question, a hierarchy formed within the group. The dam had burst. Yukimura and a girl from Class C named Manabe followed suit. They agreed with Karuizawa and said they obviously wanted to cooperate. If everyone wished for it, we'd all pass the test with Outcome #1. A natural thing to say. 

In response, one of the boys from Class B raised his hand. His blue, smooth hair swayed slightly. He was a thin, somewhat and rogynous-looking young man who'd introduced himself as Hamaguchi Tetsuya. 

Hamaguchi: "I agree, of course. We're a group, and it's only natural for us to cooperate,"

 said Tetsuya.This had been a good way to start things off. If Ichinose's question sounded obvious to someone, that meant they weren't the VIP. The VIP would be forced to lie, while checking to see if they shared the group's feelings. If someone fell for it, then we could start narrowing down the list.

 Of course, the situation wasn't that black and white. It would be dangerous to assume anything based on this one question alone. Ichinose had spoken first, and Karuizawa had agreed first. Yukimura and Manabe had followed her closely. Then came Hamaguchi from Class B.