✗ 11 ✗

How many sunrises would you trade for everything to be alright?

I woke up early long before anyone else in my dorm. Despite of a dreamless sleep, I felt refresh and ready to adapt to whatever this day throw in my way. I slipped out of bed, dressed myself in my running clothes and picks up a watered bottle from the fridge.

Before I left the dorm, I felt the sudden need to check if my friends will join me for a jog at the Han river. I knew the chances of dragging Niki out of his bed this early is miniscule. His classes with Sunoo was way earlier than in my school.

When I received a notification, I was already at the place and was seeing the other joggers, I lifted out my phone from my pocket and read the text from Jake.

Just woke up. I can't join you. I need to take Layla to the vet to my mom. Sorry

After reading the text with a sigh, I put my phone back into my pocket. I shook my head, collecting myself together before taking in a run. As I played I'm Not Pretty by Jessiah, I kept replaying what happened to me in the past few days, ticking it over my brain.

I'ved certainly ignored the abuse in my case. It could be an exaggeration, but I can't deny the damage all things the people had done to me without any kind of remorse had changed the way I treated myself. In this stage, I should be doing something else about it.

I wanted for the bullying to be over and done with, though I feared it would take longer than just this month. It could take days.

It could take weeks. Months. Maybe even a year.

This scared me as anything could happen between now and the near future.

But what do I need for everyone to stop to make me their target?

I should start for the cause of it all, Park Jay.

After a few more minutes of peaceful silence, I took a seat in one of the bench to rest and was joined by somebody else. I looked up and was met by the bright presence of Jake. In his hand, a leash was keeping Layla, his cute big dog who instantly placed her paw on my legs as her kind of greeting.

I offered her a boop in the nose before turning back to her owner and Jake smiled brightly at me, his white teeth practically glittering at the slow rise of the sun rays from behind him.

"I thought you're not available for today?", I asked, and drink a bit from my water bottle.

"Well, I just want to surprised you", he chirped, "I mean, I know you've been long missing my baby and here she is to cheer you up"

"If only Bisco is here too", I smiled to the dog and it widens at my notice to her bow that was tied in her collar.

Incredibly interesting, seeing as it was the sixth time Jake had tried so many accesories on his favorite pet this week.

Jake smirked, before taking out his phone to show me a selection of bows that he bought for Layla and my eyebrows raised ever so slightly

"Interesting, isn't it? I'd like to try hats but this lady never liked them. Honestly, she prefers not having anything at all. I wanted to see her in other -"

I was listening, but I couldn't help but watch the parking as my mind trailed off. Park Jay had just step out of his car on his own. He looked stylish and cool in his track suit, not a hair out of place. He sat himself down, and he drink his water before taking off in a jog.

I might as well ask, I thought as I looked back at Jake who was ranting off about how dogs is better than cats and were actually more expressive than those felines. I leaned in across the bench more, closing in on him so he could only hear what I was about to say.

"Er, Jake, can I ask you something?", I asked as I tried to sound as casual as possible, "I went to Jay's house yesterday"

"Did he do that to you? Why did you not tell us?", his eyes widens while it ended up to this bruised spot in my cheeks,

"No, somebody did this to me, but that's not important right now..", I trailed off, not sure how to continue when he was looking at me in a slight anger.

Like I said before, he's the mom of our group.

"Tell me, did you even care to put an ointment on it or anything?", he asked again before commanding Layla to stay put. Both of his hands coming to either side of my face as he surveyed the damage.

He bit his lip and checked around the back of my neck. Sure enough, he sighed at the bruise that had already turned purple since yesterday.

"Alright. Let's go", he rose up to his feet and led me to where his car is waiting in the side. He didn't even waited for me to protest before we were on his way to their house.

But before we can fully enter the main road, I looked over the back of his car and spotted Jay stopping at the side. He was checking over his steps counter watch, one of his tresses falling down into his forehead.

I quickly averted my gaze and looked back at Jake. He was shaking his head at me, "He's no good for you, Y/N"

"I know", I admitted. I can't remember how many times I've heard it from him and the others.

As tragic and sad as it was.. was that really enough to change my mind about him? I supposed masochism did different things to people.

"If I were you, I'd keep a good distance from him. For your sake and his. I think he's capable of something worse. And I don't want you straying too close at someone like Park Jay. You could get hurt inside", he said, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel, "Please stay away from him"

I thought to yesterday when he had a fight with Ara. He had seemed more colder and harsher to her. But I couldn't yet be sure. It would make sense if he is like that to me, I'm so used to it.

"How can I do that when he's always around?", I then asked.

"I'll help you but please, tell me if something bad happens to you again, okay?", he said, almost pleading which made me feel a little bit guilty.

"Of course. Thank you, Jake", I said, giving him a smile.

As we get to his house later on, he forced me to seat in the bathroom until he could mend it a bit with their medical cream. His mom was nice enough to even invite me to eat breakfast with them.

I looked back to the time I first met Jake in the first day, clean and looking smart in his glasses that I felt even then, he's a friend whom I felt I could probably trust.

On my way back to our dorm to prepare for my first schedule, his warnings rung in my head.

If I were to stay away from Jay for my sake.. how could I possibly see his own color behind the aggressive one? I had no choice.

And, I thought to myself, neither does he.

Is Jake a good friend?