✗ 26 ✗

I'd expected to die.

What I did not expect is to wake up to the sweet melody of some games; automatic gunfire blasted above the menacing, bass-heavy background music.

I rolled over and saw Jay pulling his console up and to the right as if that would help him escape certain death. If only I could apply that to my life right now.

"Can you at least mute it?", I voiced out to get his attention.

"Y/N", he said, faux-condescending, "I can play here all I want because the other person in this house doesn't want me to use the one downstairs"

"Maybe I'll join him there", I said groggily.

Rather than answering my question, he remarked, "So I know you're angry at me, and I'm sorry, and I'll never do it again. In other news, are you staying here for the night? Because it's raining hard"

I rolled back toward the back of the couch and pulled the pillow over my head. I didn't know whether to trust Jay, and I'd certainly had enough of his unpredictability - cold one day, sweet the next, irresistably flirty at one moment, resistibly rude again.

I preferred the other guys: At least when they were cranky, they had a reason.

In testament to the power of fatigue, I managed to fall asleep quickly, convinced that the shrieking of dying monsters and Jay's aggressive shout upon killing them were nothing more than a pleasant sound track by which to dream.

I woke half an hour later when he sat down on my side, his hips agaisnt mine. And in the almostness of the moment, I cared at least enough.

"Wake up. I left a dinner for you down the kitchen", he reminded me, one of his hand coming to shake me a bit.

"Wait...", I said, trying to get my bearings.

I wasn't sure whether I still liked him, and I doubted whether I could trust him, but I cared at least enough to try to find out.

Him beside me, his eyes staring down at my face and I was enduring the mystery of his sly, almost smirking smile.

He continued as if I hadn't answered, "You needed to eat or else, you'll be starving by tommorow"

"Alright, help me up", I said. He coaxed me out of the couch before we climbed down into the kitchen.

Silence covered us when I turn to sit by the kitchen island. My eyes landing on the clock. It's already 9:30 pm making me disappointed at how I could sleep that long in another person's house. Much less in my bully's territory.

At least he's being good to me now after that pointless argument.

"Here", he handed me a plate of kimchi fried rice and I took it quietly.

There was nothing to say again as I eat while he put down a glass of water in my side. Then it was a competition on who could endure the uncomfortable silent between the two of us. He keeps on staring elsewhere and I was focus on my plate.

"I'm sorry", I said simply, not knowing what else was there for me to say.

"I was the one who should apologized", he explained slowly, searching my face and watching as my brows furrowed in confusion.

"I need to make up for all the things I've done with you and I'm sorry. Will you still forgive me?"

"Forgive you? I can't believe it", I repeated slowly.

With a knowing look, Jay guessed, "I know it was unbelievable, you didn't expect this, wasn't it?"

My respond was like a reflex that he heard too often, "Sorry, but I can't help it"

"I know it's too hard to forgive me now, but can I work on it?", he asked, softening his voice.

Again, all I could say was, "I don't know"

His eyes met mine for a brief moment before he nodded to the living room, "If you're done, we could talk there. Jungwon is already sleeping in his room"

I nodded my head slightly; a small movement that could only be seen if you were truly looking at the person.

He asked me to play with him, and Jay had realized how bad I am to any kind of video games until he abruptly dropped the controller.

"I'm not flirting, I'm just tired", he said, kicking off his slippers down the floor.

He pulled his feet onto the foam couch, tucking them behind a cushion and scooted up to put his head on my lap. I could feel the warmth of his cheek on my thigh.

There are times when it is appropriate, even preferable, to feel my heart raising when someone's face looked so different while he's sleeping.

This was one of those times I wished Jay was like his friend, Heeseung. It would be so good to imagine him being that friendly.

But he is not.

At 10 pm, I turned off the game and scooted out from underneath Jay. He turned on his back, still half-asleep, the lines of my pants imprinted on his cheek.

And the next thing I know when I was about to get up for his room to pick up my bag and planning to leave, a hand grabbed me back to the couch until I felt my back against someone's chest.

"Don't leave please", Jay said breathless against my neck.

No words came out of my mouth when I turned around to face him and saw that he was squinting at me. His eyes barely open yet his hand traveled down my waist to keep me in place.

My breath hitched as I put my hands in his chest to prevent him from getting closer. What the hell is happening?

"Don't go to him. It hurts", he speaks out, causing for me to be breathless.

"I don't get it", I said, not letting him get the best of me even if all I did wanted is to listen, "You keep on confusing me, Jay. You keep on making me feel trash and insecure about myself before"

"And now you're showing up signs that you're jealous of my friend. You got into a fight against a guy who talks dirty about me. What's really up with you?", I ended it with a shake of my head.

He struggled for a few moments to reply, groaning out in frustration before ultimately giving up. It looked like he hated that I'm in the right.

Eventually, his eyes fluttered open to meet my waiting ones.

He slowly licked his lips before saying, "Go to my room. You can sleep there. I'll take the couch"

For a second, both of us were silent, awaiting my answer. And I gave it to him without hesitation, "Thank you"

"Go on", he stated firmly with a brief nod of his head.

When I get to his bedroom later on, I worried I became too much to him for today, but frankly, he deserves to hear it.

But what if I become nicer, would we have a better conversation for tonight? The possibilities kept me up half the night.

Do you hate it that Y/N seems to be won over by her anger to Jay more than her feelings for him?