Five

Kathryn

My cheeks had been aching from smiling so hard for so long. With Casey sitting on side of me, our eyes remained glued to my ultrasound. "Well your child is healthy, seems they've been moving around recently" Dr. Wells spoke from his seat. I nod my head in agreement, remembering the child's movement over the past week.

Dr. Wells turns in his chair, "I've also discovered the gender of your baby."

The statement grabs our attention away from the screen. Though I wanted to know, I also wanted to keep the information a secret. "She's a girl isn't she?" Casey spits, not able to contain her excitement. Shaking my head, I allow our doctor to break the news.

"Yes, your baby is a girl. I can tell you're excited."

Sparkling brown eyes land on me silently yelling, 'I told you so!' I smile at my fiance and nod my head. Honestly, in my heart, I'd already stopped fighting with Casey about the gender of our baby. Somehow I already knew she was right. I just continued arguing with her because she's cute when she gets defensive.

"As you two are already aware, Kathryn is in her second trimester. This means the baby is expected in April, from my calculations she is due born April 18th."

"A Gemini, Capricorn, and an Aries? A bad mixture, terrible really" Casey mutters only loud enough for the two of us to hear. I can't help but laugh at her stupidity. Our appointment eventually came to an end and Casey was guiding me towards the car.

The smile on her face was nearly impossible to get rid of. "Are you happy?" I question once she opens the car door. Her eyes land on mine and her smile only widens, "Of course I am." I watch her shut my door and make her way over to her side.

Once inside, she quickly starts the car. "We should celebrate."

My eyes meet hers as we get to the first red light. "What do you have in mind?" I question, bringing my hands to my round belly. Casey's eyes follow the movement of my hand before she looks back to the road. "I don't know, candlelight dinner, you...me, the bed?"

Rolling my eyes, I shake my head. "You know, when we were going through the procedure to have your egg inserted into my ovaries, I remember the doctor telling ME, I would have an increased libido and my hormones would be high. But you've been horny for a while."

Casey tilts her head with a wide grin. "I don't know, Kathryn. When your wife's as hot as mine, maybe one day you'll understand."

The compliment causes me to laugh, "Please. I'm beginning to look like a humpback whale. You're the one who's been working out and toning your body. If anything my wife is definitely sexier than yours."

Brown eyes land on me as she presses down on the accelerator. "I wish you could see what I do and stop doubting yourself. Kathryn, I've met a lot of beautiful women, if you were as unattractive as you keep saying you are, I would be with one of them... not you."

"Shut up and drive" I blush, keeping my eyes on the scenery outside the window. Casey laughs, knowing her compliment had a huge effect on me, as always. 

"When are you going back to school?" I question, changing the subject. 

"Fall. I'm not missing the birth of my child, plus you're going to need all the help you can get after labor. I might do it online and help out around the apartment for a year."

I nod my head, loving the fact that she would stay here and not leave me. "Doctorate, right?" She nods her head and begins turning into the parking lot of Walmart. "I'm so proud of you," I hum.

Casey parks the car, her eyes on me as she slowly unbuckles her seatbelt. "Proud, why? I haven't done anything meaningful."

"I've been with you since your last year of high school. I've had the chance to see you grow into the beautiful and intelligent woman you are today. You've got your master's degree and you're going back to school for your doctorate. What's there not to be proud of?"