Ninety-Eight

Casey

Letting out a breath, my eyes land on the tombstone before me. The name of my father stared back at me. Despite it being sunny when I left my apartment, the weather changed the moment I stepped into the cemetery. 

Clearing my throat, I glance down at my brown Chelsea boots. I didn't want to be here but he was all I could think about these past few hours. It'd be wrong of me not to visit him today. I take a step toward the grave. "Hey, old man," I mutter as I place my hand on top of the tombstone. My eyes lift from the stone to a stranger at another grave. 

Sighing, I take a seat and lean my back against the tombstone. "As you are aware, I'm finally 27. I'm getting so old," I chuckle awkwardly. "Well... at least that's what the youngsters say. Didn't think that word would ever leave my lips, but here we are," I joke with a small smile.

I frown, unsure of what else to possibly talk about. It's not like I'd get a response back. Clenching my jaw, I force myself to say something. "I know you would've been upset with me if you were here... for leaving Mom and Cass for all that time," I mutter before clearing my throat awkwardly.

"Next month will be a year of being back. It doesn't feel like it's been that long but everything has been happening back to back so my days feel full and eventful though they're not. I don't really hang out with anyone these days... it makes me feel lonely." 

I lean over and glance back to spot the man still at the grave. He glances up for just a split second and our gaze meets. He doesn't stare long, just long enough to acknowledge someone else was near. I turn back around to mind my business. 

"Oh, I have a girlfriend. I think you'd like her. She's amazing. We started dating in February so we just made 4 months a few days ago," I mutter with a small smile. Just the simple thought of Mallory is enough to get me smiling like an idiot. 

It feels weird knowing another woman is in my life romantically. But I wouldn't go back and change things. I was happy with the decisions that lead me to her. Even if not as a girlfriend, she's an amazing friend. 

The ringing of my phone pulls my attention away from my head, forcing my attention elsewhere. Letting out a breath, I fish for the device in my pocket. Once I pull it out, my frown deepens. But instead of allowing this call to go to voicemail for the 5th time today, I decide to answer. "Yeah?"

The woman on the other line sighs, "Are you aware I've called you like 4 times before this?" Emily questions. I sigh, knowing she would get in my ass for not answering her calls. But I wasn't in the mood for this. From her or anyone else. Today... despite the fact that I acknowledge my birthday, I absolutely don't want to be reminded of the day. 

"Yeah... sorry. I've been busy," I lie. Em hums. "Yeah, I heard from Cass and Eddie that you've moved to a new place. They wouldn't disclose the exact details so I can harass you because you've requested they tell no one," she spits sternly.

I can't help but chuckle, thankful to my sister and best friend for not blurting their mouths. "I— The place is a wreck still. I've only bought the things needed, I haven't exactly arranged everything yet. Don't worry I was gonna do a housewarming party or something once that gets done."

The sound of Heaven and Haven in the background grabs my attention and I already know what's about to happen. The five of them begin singing happy birthday. Though the off-key voices were lovely and made me a little happy, I couldn't help but feel shitty because today is the 3rd anniversary of my father's death.

When they finish, I force myself to speak up. "Oh, thank you. I— that was lovely. Honestly, thank you," I force the words out. Haven clearly snatches the phone from her mother. "Aunt Ace, what are you going to do for your birthday? Are you going to have a party? Will I be invited?"