Eighty-Three

Casey

As instructed by my doctor, with the help of my sister, I remove the neck brace. The second I'm free from the hold, I let out a long breath of relief. I understand that I need the brace for recovery, but even three hours a day seemed a bit excessive.

But I was grateful it was whiplash I was recovering from and not a broken neck. 

Knocking on the door grabs mine and Cassandra's attention before the brown-skinned woman glances at me. "Which one do you think it is?" she questions. I chuckle softly as I raise a brow, understanding what she is asking. 

Since I was let out of the hospital I've been getting constant check-ups from two people. Kathryn and Mallory. I understood they were both worried about me but honestly they were doing too much. "Probably Ryn, she hasn't been here since Sunday. But then again, Mal has been here almost every day since I've gotten out of the hospital," I mutter with a chuckle.

Another knock grabs Edwin's attention as he exits his bedroom with Cassie hot on his tail. I smile softly as I glance at my niece whose curly hair was let loose as Eddie had been trying to style her hair for the past hour to no avail. 

Edwin glances through the peephole before unlocking and opening the door. I glance ahead, not surprised to see my Mallory entering the home. She speaks to Cass, Eddie, and Cassie before making a beeline to me. 

"You don't have on your brace," Mallory mutters. I nod my head and grab the brace from the table beside the chair. "I did my three hours, I promise," I spit. 

The brown-skinned woman turns to glance at Cassandra for confirmation causing my sister to laugh. "She did good today, I can assure you." I roll my eyes playfully as I sit back, resting my head against the back of the chair and glancing up at Mallory. 

"It's not like I can slip up anyway. You're here like every day and if it's not you it's Ryn," I spit. She chuckles, "We're just worried. I mean if you would've seen what we had... you'd be just as concerned. But you can tend to be stubborn when it comes to these things." I roll my eyes as I take her in.

Despite telling she didn't put much thought into her outfit, she still looked stunning in her brown crop top and jean short shorts. I'm lucky to have such a beautiful woman worry about my well-being. 

"Have you eaten today?" Mallory questions, lifting my shirt to glance at my bruised side. "I have. And I drank water. And took all my meds... any other questions mom?" I joke. 

She rolls her eyes as she pokes my stomach causing me to yelp and pull away from her touch. Light Brown eyes land on me, "This is why I'm worried about you. How are you feeling?" she questions.

I frown as I hear Cassandra and Edwin giggling at my discomfort. Assholes. Smiling, I glance up meeting Mallory's worrisome expression. "I'm okay, really. I just need to take my pain meds in a bit," I mutter softly. She nods her head, staring down at me sadly.

"How are you doing?" I question, pulling her into my lap. She eyes me cautiously as she sits on my right leg, making sure her sitting wasn't causing me any discomfort. "I'm good. But I do have some bad news," she mutters, eyeing me.

I pout already not liking the idea of bad news. But she continues. "Don't expect to see me for the next few days. My... ex is going to be in town... so I'll be busy with her," she mutters placing a deep frown on my lips from her words.

Groaning, I nod my head, knowing I didn't have a say in the matter. Our relationship isn't supposed to be romantic but I couldn't help but feel a little jealous of her ex-girlfriend.