Fifty-One

Kathryn
(1 year and a month since Ace left)

My eyes land on a certain pair of blue, waiting for me beside her car. Smiling, I pull her into a hug the second I get close to her. "How are you?" she questions once she pulls away. "Happy to be out of that place," I mutter honestly.

She chuckles, "Did it do you some good at least?" she questions. 

I nod my head, "Yeah. I mean I was already pretty good mentally before you and Josh decided to take precautions. But thank you because I think I was a tad bit depressed after the incident that happened last month." The blonde smiles. 

"I'm glad you're okay. I'm sure Josh told you about you guys' little vacation tomorrow?"

Sighing, I nod my head, remembering all about it. Josh, Sarah, and I would be going to Utah to visit the family. I didn't want to go but I knew I had to, especially since everyone and their mothers know about my attempt to end my life. I know they're worried about me, as they should be.

We would be there for a while as well as a way to get my mind off of everything that's happened these past two months. So it would probably do me some good. "Cassandra and Lillie have been begging to see you again."

I frown a little. "I don't think I'm ready to face them again," I mutter as I climb into the passenger seat. The blonde rolls her eyes as she starts the car and puts on her seatbelt.

"You don't have much choice, Kathy. They're family, and they're worried. You going to have to suck it up and be a big girl. I already had to tell Diana and Cane they weren't allowed to see you yet. And everyone else. Duke, Jasmine, and Desire are dying to see you and make sure you're okay."

I can't help but smile a little. I honestly believed they'd stop giving two shits about me because I wasn't with Casey anymore. But apparently, I judged them a little too much and held them to certain expectations only to find out they truly care about me and not because I'm with one of their friends.

We're truly a family. "What about Edwin?" I question, glancing at my best friend. Emily sighs, "You know, I had expected him to be the only person to still be on Casey's side since they're best friends and whatnot. But just like his wife, they are a hundred percent on your side in this situation."

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I ask a question that had been bothering me all month. "Has anyone had any luck getting in touch with her?" 

As I stated, a month ago I was more than ready to move on without her. And I didn't mean jumping into another relationship, I needed to work on myself. I've forgotten what being in love with myself feels like. I've forgotten how to be independent. But I can't help but think about her sometimes. I mean we were together for 5 years, and I was happy with her. 

Emily inhales as she glances at me, "No. But she did read a message Cassandra left and Cass did receive a message that Casey was texting but she never sent anything."

I bite my lip and quickly avert my gaze. "So at least we know she's probably getting all our messages and voicemails... she's just not replying," I mutter softly. That kind of information hurt. Primarily because of the last voicemail I sent her. And she didn't call back she didn't try to check up on me. 

Sighing, I nod my head as I try to think about something other than my ex-lover. Clearly, I didn't mean as much to her as she did to me. I bite my cheek and mentally slap myself. I didn't want to pity myself. I know she loved me at some point and thinking otherwise is only going to put me back into the depressive episode I just got out of.

"We're not sure she's getting them all," the blonde mutters, glancing at me once we get out of the parking lot. I smile softly, knowing what she was trying to do.