One Hundred Thirty-Seven

Casey 

Stepping into the apartment I'd gotten used to being at so early in the morning, I immediately noticed Mateo was nowhere to be seen, which was weird. I've gotten so used to seeing both of them early in the morning. Even if he were running late we'd spot each other while he was leaving.

I take a glance in the bedroom before making my way back into the dining room where Kathryn was setting up Antonio's formula for his morning feeding. "Where's Mateo?" I question as I place my hand on the chair at the head of the table.

Chestnut-brown eyes lift and land on me as she shrugs her shoulders. My brows raise in confusion. "I don't know, he didn't come home last night and... I've called and texted but I haven't gotten an answer yet."

Biting my bottom lip, I eye the woman, wondering what was going on in her head with this going on. I mean the last time her partner was nowhere to be found without answering a call or text... she remained single and brokenhearted for 2 years. 

I doubt that's what's going on now, I wholeheartedly believe Mateo just went for drinks got drunk, and decided to crash at a hotel. "Are you worried?" I question, genuinely curious.

Kathryn sighs as she eyes me. "I don't suspect I need to be. I'm certain he'll be home tonight. There's nothing for me to worry about," she voices. Eyeing the woman, I frown as I hear her voice wavering slightly. She's trying her damn hardest not to freak out. 

Placing my hand on her shoulder, I give her a gentle squeeze. "There's nothing for you to worry about. Mateo is okay and he'll be home tonight," I reassure her.

Kathryn eyes me and offers a small smile and a nod before going back to what she was previously doing. I decided to leave her alone, knowing she probably wasn't in the mood to talk right now.

"His best friend has a boyfriend," Kathryn voices. I furrow my brows as I glance at her, wondering why she brought it up. A pained expression painted her features as she kept her eyes away from me. "I've just noticed him acting different since he found out which was about a month ago," she nods her head slowly.

Eyeing the woman, I speak up. "Do you think something bad is going to happen?" I question.

"I would like to think that if Mateo finally realizes his feelings for her... he'll at least have the balls to end things with me properly instead of cheating."

I furrow my brows, "You think he'll leave you for her?"

The brunette sighs as she finally glances at me. "I know he will. There's only so much denying you can do when it comes to your feelings. I didn't do much thinking when I invited her over that day. I should've known that when he met her boyfriend that would awaken whatever feelings he had buried for her."

"You don't sound too upset about it," I mutter.

She shrugs. "I love Mateo... I'd like to believe that at some point I was in love with him but even I know our relationship isn't going to last long. I mean hell, a few months ago I tried to break up with him. I'd be a little heartbroken but I suspected for it to end eventually."

Humming, I nod my head. "I think he'd be an idiot to pick someone else over you."

My words force her to smile as she glances away. "Then I guess that makes you an idiot by default."

Nodding my head, I let out a soft chuckle. I want to deny that claim but at the same time, I don't want to hurt her feelings so I decide to ignore it instead. "Are you gonna be home late today?"

The woman shakes her head, "No. It's Friday, anything I need to grade I'll just bring it home."

The sound of her alarm going off in the bedroom grabs her attention. She exhaled softly, not in the mood to go to work but she knew she had to. She makes her way to the bedroom and stays in there for a few minutes before exiting with Antonio in her arms.