Thirty-Two

Casey 

Blinking from my stupor, I avert my gaze to the computer screen. Letting out a breath, I wipe my face before forcing myself away from the table. Though my stomach was growling at me and practically playing tag with my back, I ignored the kitchen and made my way to the bedroom. I knock softly on the white door before trying to open it, not surprised to find it locked.

You'd think I was just company with the way she's been locking me out of my own room. Sighing, I knock again, louder this time in hopes the woman on the other side of the door was awake and would open it.

After a minute, I let out a breath. I guess I don't need a shower. Turning on my heel, I begin making my way back to the table to continue my task. I stop in my tracks as I hear the bedroom door open. Peering over my shoulder, I spot the brunette peeking through a crack in the door. "Sorry, did I wake you?" I question, heading back to the door.

Kathryn shakes her head before pulling the door open, letting me inside. "I was just gonna take a shower, is that okay with you?" I question my fiance, glancing at her from my peripheral view. 

The brunette watches me as she shrugs her shoulders, not caring about my actions. "I'm gonna start planning for the funeral, in case you want to help. Are we going to bury or cremate her?" I question, unsure about what we would do.

Brown eyes meet mine, a look of sadness washing over her features from the painful reminder that our child was no longer living. "Cremate," the brunette mutters softly as she heads to the bed, climbing under the duvet. I eye her for a few long seconds before grabbing an outfit from the closet and heading into the restroom.

Stopping in the doorway of the bathroom, I glance at my fiance. "It would be nice to shower with my fiance," I mutter, hoping she'd join me. Her eyes avoid my gaze, letting me know she had no plans to get out of bed again. 

Sighing, I step into the bathroom, closing the door behind me, leaving it unlocked in case she changes her mind.

Once I'm undressed and have the water on, I hear the door opening. I try to hide my smile as my fiance enters the restroom. I eye the woman for a few seconds before jumping into the shower, waiting impatiently for her to join me. Once she does, I move to the side, allowing her to get into the water. 

"My family said they'd be over here to help us plan," I mutter, wrapping my arms around the woman. I could practically feel Kathryn's body relax in my hold as I hear her let out a breath. 

"My dad kinda said he would like to see you, make sure you're doing okay. Are you willing to come out of the room for a few minutes when they get here?" I question, looking at the woman.

Kathryn nods her head but doesn't dare to speak. I smile to myself, at least she was making herself visible.

After our shower, I was whole-heartedly expecting Kathryn to stay in our room until my family arrived but to my surprise, she sat in the living room. I watch the brunette for a minute before the sound of knocking at the front door grabs our attention. I stand from my chair and head to the door.

Immediately, I'm pulled into a hug by Edwin. Letting out a small breath, I wrap my arms around my best friend. "How are you doing?" he questioned, pulling away. "I'm fine," I mutter softly, moving aside to let him inside. Behind him are my sister, mother, and father. I frown, "Where's Cassie?" I question.

Cassandra eyes me. "We left her with my parents," Edwin mutters. I nod my head, sort of glad they decided not to bring her. I mean, I love my niece but right now, I'd probably just make myself upset if I saw her. I turn my attention toward my parents, allowing them to wrap me in a bear hug.