Twenty-Eight

Casey

Entering the apartment, I take notice of my fiance and daughter in the living room. There was light jazz music playing from the TV as Kathryn held hope in her arms, both of them sound asleep. I was glad that my arrival hadn't woken either as I make my way quietly into the bedroom. 

I set my small backpack down and kick off my shoes as I sit on the edge of the bed. Honestly, I knew I would be joining the two soon since work kicked my ass today. I jump as I spot Kathryn entering the room, my eyes take in the woman. "Hi, I didn't mean to wake you," I mutter, standing from the bed.

She hands Hope to me carefully, her eyes barely managing to remain open. I can't help but smile at the woman as she walks around me and lays down on the bed, not bothering to cover herself with the blanket. My eyes move to the sleeping child in my arms and let out a breath. I can't help but smile at the mini-me, she's too adorable.

I decide not to take a small nap, instead, I head into the living room to grab Hope's Infantino flip. Setting my daughter down carefully on the couch for a second, I strap the carrier on my body before getting her situated inside.

Once we're set, I make my way into the kitchen, trying my hardest to be silent so I don't wake her or my fiance. I open the freezer to see what meat we had. My eyes land on the ground beef, suddenly craving lasagna. I grab the roll of ground beef and set it into the sink, running some hot water on it so it can defrost.

I check the fridge and cabinets to see if we have all the ingredients and frow when I realize we don't. I bite my cheek, wondering if I wanted to leave the house or just find something else to make. Sighing, I check the cabinet again, in search of spaghetti noodles and tomato sauce. I smile when I spot both needed items.

The ringing of my phone catches me off guard and I curse when Hope wakes up crying. I rock the child, trying to get her to calm down as I grab my phone from my back pocket. Before I can answer, I spot Kathryn with a tired expression exiting the room. Her beautiful brown eyes land on Hope and I. 

"Sorry, I got a phone call," I mutter, answering the call. "This better be important," I hiss at my best friend. "Yeah, I miss you. Duke, Jasmine, Desire, and I are coming to pick you up in 45 minutes get ready."

I groan, "Can I reschedule? I don't know if you guys know this but I recently became a mother so I don't have as much free time as I used to."

Edwin sighs, "Please Case, we haven't really seen you in a month. Just one night is all we're asking for."

"Just because you can hand off the responsibility to your wife doesn't mean that's how I am with my fiance. Kathryn's tired and if I don't cook dinner, she probably won't eat. You guys can get me on some other day," I spit and hang up. I turn my ringer off and set my phone on the counter.

Kathryn eyes me, "Who was that?" 

"Edwin, they wanted me to go out with them."

The woman nods her head, "You can, you know. You let me have a day off, so you should go enjoy your time with them as well. I'm sure I can handle it and I can order something." I shake my head and lean over to kiss her cheek. "You're tired, go get some rest. They won't die."

Smiling, Kathryn tries to unbuckle Hope from the sling but I grab her hands. "Just go, Casey. They miss you."

I chuckle, "I am a mother now, my child comes first. They will be fine."

"You're stubborn."

"I love you too. Go rest, I know you're tired. By the way, how does spaghetti sound?" I question. The woman scrunches her nose, "Honestly, I'd rather have lasagna."