One Hundred-Fourteen

Kathryn

I yawn into my fist as I unplug my phone from the charger. My gaze falls onto the dark-skinned Latino sleeping on the right side of my bed. One arm was tucked under the pillow, while the other was on top as the gray duvet covered the bottom half of his body. I smile softly and make my way to his side of the bed.

Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I lean down and place my lips against his temple. "Thank you for staying, even if I don't deserve a second chance," I whisper. It's been exactly two days since I 'tried' to break up with Mateo. My plan backfired and he didn't allow me to self-sabotage my relationship.

Smiling, I exit the bedroom and enter the living room. I placed my phone into my cream-colored purse before ensuring I had my keys and wallet. As I get to the door, I slip into my black flats before exiting the apartment. 

To my surprise, Casey was exiting hers at the same time. "Morning," I mutter causing her to glance back. "Oh, hey. Good morning," she spoke with a warm smile. I noticed immediately that she was not dressed as if she were going for a run which left me curious as to why she was up so early in the morning. 

It's been a while since I've seen Casey in a button-up shirt and jeans. A casual look. Interview maybe? I lock my door first before asking questions. "You're up early on a Monday morning... why?" 

Russet-brown eyes meet my gaze before her smile widens. "I promised Cassie I'd take her to school."

My smile grows in size at the sight of her smile. It's contagious. "Pretty soon you're going to be the favorite aunt, I don't like that," I joke. Casey laughs in agreement as she nods her head, "Have to go ahead and take that title away from you. I mean... I am her biological aunt," she mutters before glancing down the stairs.

I take the hint and descend the stairs. Grabbing my keys, I unlock the vehicle before glancing at the brown-skinned beauty. "I-- I'm trying... with Mateo," I find myself muttering, unsure of why that was important for her to know.

Casey furrows her brows in confusion. Realizing, she knew absolutely nothing, I shake my head stupidly before speaking up again. "Moving on. I'm trying to move on. I think it may work if I try. I will try. I want to try," I ramble.

Her russet eyes watch me, genuinely watch me before she smiles. "That's good. You should allow yourself to be loved. You deserve it... and happiness. I kind of uh... heard you two the other day."

My mouth falls open in disbelief. "Stop pushing him away, Kathryn. It's okay to fall in love again and it's okay to forget about me and how I made you feel. So stop pushing him away," she mutters before climbing into Mallory's car. I nod my head before getting into my vehicle. Not that I needed Casey's okay to move on, but it helps. 

Letting out a breath, I start the truck and connect my phone to the Bluetooth before pulling out of the driveway and making my way to work.

My lips pull into a thin line as I arrive at the school to spot Emily stepping out of her car. I park a few spots away from her and stay seated, not wanting to walk in with her. It's petty of me to still be upset despite knowing she was right. But I am still upset with her.

Yeah, she was right. She is right. I am being a piece of shit to Mateo. Yes, I have damaged our relationship. I do need to stop lying to him. Can't have a healthy relationship if I'm keeping secrets about my ex or how my life was before he ever came into it. But I wasn't going to apologize to her.

She hasn't been the best of friends in a while. And yeah, maybe that's my fault too. But... I let out a breath and leaned forward, my head turned to the right to see if she was still in the parking lot. A sigh of relief is released as I don't spot the blue-eyed blonde.