One Hundred Fifty-Five

Casey 

I had only meant to take a few days away. 

However, the moment I returned, I was swamped with schoolwork. There wasn't a moment to spare to talk to my girlfriend. Truth be told, I was glad I didn't have to talk to her yet. I was scared. 

I mean, the last time we spoke to each other in person... I was proposing and she said no. How does anyone move on from that? 

Groaning, I grab my phone from the table once more, checking the message from Edwin. I still hadn't told him the truth. In fact, I lied. When he asked about it the next day, I couldn't tell him that she rejected me. So I told him she said yes and then I told him we'd go out of town for a few days to celebrate.

God, I'm the worst.

What reason did I have for lying? To my best friend of all people. 

As I'm going over the messages, my phone begins vibrating in my hand. My mom's name pops onto the screen. I exhale softly but answer, knowing she'd probably kill me if I rejected another one of her calls.

She was probably freaking out. She probably thought I left again with how much I've been ignoring and avoiding the entire family. Sighing, I place the phone to my ear.

"Get your scrawny ass over here right now! Don't make me come get you, Casey," the older woman spat. Chills ran down my spine. Okay, I was definitely scared. "Mama, calm down."

"Calm down!?! Are you aware of how worried I have been for the past week?!?! Where have you been?"

Chuckling, I nod my head. Yeah, there was no calming her down. Not unless I was sitting right in front of her, assuring her I didn't leave. It hurt a bit knowing my family has PTSD from that. I couldn't ignore calls without someone thinking I was skipping town, and rightfully so.

I could understand her fear. I almost didn't come back. But I made a promise. I'd be such an ass to break it. Even though I've yet to call her since I've been back, I was keeping my promise.

"Okay, mama. I need to submit these few assignments and then I'll be over there. And could I ask for a favor?"

"A favor?" she questions, voice laced with venom. 

I clear my throat and shake my head. "N-nevermind, it's okay."

Letting out a breath, I end the call and throw my head back. I guess this was it. My mom is full of questions, I'm sure and there's not much I can hide from her. I'm going to have to tell her about Mallory and pretty soon... I'll have to tell everyone about Mallory.

- - - - -

I groan as I stare at the door. I was glad that Kathryn's truck wasn't in the driveway. Because let's be honest, I did not want her to be one of the first people to find out that I proposed to my girlfriend. 

I suck in a deep breath before knocking on the door. It doesn't take long for it to open, revealing a very pissed-off mother. Clenching my jaw, I swallow the lump in my throat. God, she's going to kill me.

The older brown-skinned woman steps to the side, letting me in. Inhaling deeply, I do. I stepped into the home, and whatever fear I had disappeared the moment I spotted Antonio in his crib. I can't help but smile and make a beeline for the boy. He was standing and holding onto the railing, his dark eyes on me and a small smile on his chubby cheeks.

"Hi!" I greet him, leaning down to pick him up. "You'll talk to the kid first before your worried mother?" 

I chuckle awkwardly, "Sorry... he's cuter. And he probably won't kill me," I joke.