Fifty-Five

Kathryn 
(1 Year and 10 months since Ace Left)

I let out a breath as I beat the bell by seconds. I slam my papers onto my desk and move to the board. "I hope you all have been preparing for your test today," I mutter, earning several groans in return. 

Shaking my head, I place my hands on my hips. "I don't want to hear any excuses, I've told you all prior to this week that there would be a big test and it will be affecting your grades if you haven't been passing the little quizzes I've given or turned in your homework."

Turning my back to the class, I grab the tests. "You may go ahead and remove everything from your desk. The minute the first test is placed down, talking may be ceased. You will have 35 minutes to complete the test. It's only 27 questions with a small essay part on the back. If you fail to complete the essay, that will be 10 points taken from your grade," I spit.

I begin passing out the tests and immediately some students begin. Once I've passed out all the tests, I head back to my desk and log in to my laptop to take attendance. Luckily, my memory loves me this year and it's been easier putting a name with the face, so I didn't need to disrupt them.

I frown as I notice two of my students absent. "Has anyone seen Jackson or Terry?" I question, wondering if they were skipping or actually not at school. Honestly, I wouldn't doubt that either was skipping, they were known for playing hooky. I've caught them a time or two cutting another teacher's class.

Paul raises his hand and I raise my brows, wondering what he'd want to say. "Terry is at the door," he mutters causing my head to snap in the direction of the classroom door. I frown at her, she didn't even knock.

I make my way to the door and open it, not letting her inside yet.

"Is there a reason you're late to my class, Miss Jamerson?" I question. I cringe internally as I watch her eyes trail over my body before she bites her lip. She shakes her head, not giving me an excuse. Letting out a breath, I let her in. "I need to speak with you after class."

The brown-skinned girl smirks as she turns to face me while walking backwards to her desk. "Of course Miss Howard, anything for you," she flirts openly. I sigh and shake my head, displeased by her words and actions.

I glance at Terry a few seconds longer before heading to my own desk and grading some of the tests from yesterday that I hadn't finished. 35 minutes went by fast and eventually class was over, which I was thankful for, one less class until the end of the day. It also helped that I didn't have a class next period.

Once the last student exits the classroom, I notice Terry standing by my desk.

I sigh, knowing this was going to be a headache as I close the door. "You've been absent from my class almost every other day. You also have two incomplete quizzes that you need to do because you're failing my class," I spit, wanting to get this over with.

She frowns, crossing her arms over her chest. "And here I thought my teacher-student fantasy was going to be played out," she spits causing me to frown.

"Excuse me?" The curly-haired girl rolls her eyes. "Nothing," she mutters softly. 

I sigh and rub my face, "Look, Terry. If there's something you'd like to tell me, I'm all ears. You're a senior and you've only got a month left, you don't want to waste it by skipping and having to attend summer school to pass a class or two," I spit.

Taking a chance, I walk to her and place my hand on her shoulder. "You're a smart girl, please don't mess this up for you. Plus it wouldn't look great on your school record. Aren't you trying to get into Rice University?" I question with a small smile.