Eight-Six

Mateo 

The sound of shuffling around the room is what wakes me up. I peek an eye open to spot my girlfriend moving around the room frantically. Yawning, I roll over onto my side. "What's wrong?" I question, letting the brunette know I was awake. Her chestnut-brown eyes land on me and she sighs. "I'm sorry, did I wake you?" she questions.

I smile softly, "It's fine. What's wrong? You look panicked," I mutter. She sighs, running her hand through her hair as she stops moving, her beautiful and tired chestnut-brown eyes on me. "I just have a lot on my plate right now."

Frowning at her words, I climb out of bed and make my way to her. "Would you like to talk about it?" I question, grabbing her hands and pulling her into me. The woman lets out a breath as she wraps her arms around me, relaxing in my hold. 

I clench my jaw, wondering how I could possibly help her. I didn't like seeing her stressed or feeling low. "Not right now, I just need to get showered and dressed, I'm late for work," she mutters pulling away with a small smile. Raising my brows, I glance back at the digital clock on the nightstand, realizing it was already a quarter past eight.

"Yeah, you go do that. I'll go make you a light breakfast," I whisper pressing my lips against her forehead, and kissing her softly. She hums before making her way into the restroom. I exit the bedroom and head to the kitchen to make her breakfast.

Ten minutes later, out comes the brunette dressed in a dark blue blouse and black pants. She rushes to gather her belongings as I exit the kitchen with a Tupperware of eggs, hashbrowns, and two turkey sausage patties. Her eyes land on the food and she can't help but smile as she takes the dish from me.

"You're the best, thank you," she mutters softly, shoving her wallet and phone into her purse. Smiling, I hum and kiss her cheek. "Of course, my love. Be careful getting to work. I know you're rushing but please don't go over the speed limit, I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt," I whisper.

Her brown eyes land on me as she nods her head, walking toward the door. She stops and turns back to me. "Don't forget about our appointment later. We're supposed to go see the OB/GYN and Dr. Wells for my physical checkup. I get off at 4, so I'll meet you there," she spits, eyes on me.

I smile softly, "As I could ever forget that," I mutter, sending her a wink. Smiling, she exits the apartment and that's the last I see of her for the rest of the morning. 

My smile widens at the thought of being able to have kids with her. Having kids of my own had always been an ideal dream of mine even before I started to identify as a man. And now, with the woman I love, that dream was going to come true.

The sound of my ringing phone grabs my attention away from my thoughts. Letting out a breath, I head back into the bedroom and grab my phone from under my pillow. My smile drops as I spot my mother's name on the screen. 

Sighing, I answer the phone though I knew that was a terrible idea. "Si?"

"Tu amiga Stephanie está aquí, ¿por qué no vienes?" the woman's voice reaches my ear. (Your friend Stephanie is here, why don't you come over.) I can only groan in annoyance, wondering why Stephanie would be there in the first place. 

She knows I'm barely home, what would make her go over there? "Está bien mamá, puedo venir en otro momento. No quiero molestarlo," Stephanie mutters. (It's okay, mama, I can come another time. I don't want to bother anyone.) My mother smacks her lips in annoyance before forcing Stephanie to stay and for me to come to them.

Groaning once more, I can't help but roll my eyes in annoyance. "Estoy en camino," I finally speak up before ending the call. (I'm on my way.) All I have to do is go over there, get Stephanie, and leave. If I can somehow manage to get out of there without my mother asking a million questions, I can take that as a win.