Eighty-One

Casey

My eyes land on my outfit in the mirror as I contemplate whether I wanted to wear this tonight or something else. I can't help but groan in annoyance as I begin unbuttoning my shirt as I exit the restroom. "What are you doing?" Edwin questions glancing at me in confusion. 

Letting out a breath, I drop my hands to my sides in annoyance. "I have a double date tonight and I can't figure out what to wear," I mutter.

He smiles softly, "So she's good enough for a second date?" he questions, referring to Mallory. I smile and nod my head, glad I had gone through with meeting her in the first place. It's true, she wasn't Kathryn but she was second best. 

"She's... something," I mutter, unable to contain my smile. Edwin gives me the side eye as he hums. "Well if you want help picking an outfit...  Kathryn and Cassandra are on their way back from their mani-pedis."

I frown a little. "Yes. I think it's a great idea to get fashion tips from the woman I'm still in love with so that I can go impress another woman, you're so fucking smart," I spit causing him to chuckle. 

"You're being sarcastic but you've got to realize something. Kathryn used to be attracted to you so she knows what you look good in and what doesn't look good on you. So honestly, she'd give you the most honest answer," he mutters. 

I groan, hating to agree with his logic but it makes sense. Only Kathryn would know best. Sighing, I continue unbuttoning my shirt as I make my way into the kitchen with the Hispanic man following behind me. "So are you and Mallory going to date or what? Have you decided anything?" he questions, curious about our relationship.

Chuckling, I grab a banana before turning to face him. "I'm not ready for a relationship but Mal and I have come to the decision that once we feel absolutely close with each other our relationship will become more than what we've got going on right now," I mutter.

"So a friends-with-benefits type of situation?"

I nod my head as I peel the banana. "Precisely," I spit. He hums, nodding his head. 

Our attention is pulled away from each other as the sound of laughter fills the home, letting us know Kathryn, Cassie, and Cassandra were back. Eddie and I exit the kitchen and make our way into the living room, grabbing their eyes.

Cassie makes her way to me, holding her hands up as she walks awkwardly to not mess up her toes. "Look, Aunt Casey! I got my nails painted," the chubby child cheers happily. I smile down at her. "They look cute. Did you pick the color?" I question, squatting down to her height. 

She nods her head, proud of herself for not relying on her mother to pick her color. Once she's shown off her mani-pedi she makes a beeline for her father. Chuckling, I stand straight and glance at the brunette, setting her purse on the couch.

Before we can make eye contact I glance at Cassandra. "I thought you were getting ready for your thing tonight," she mutters, looking me up and down. 

I frown in defeat, "I don't know what to wear. So I was gonna ask... Ryn if she could help me pick out an outfit," I mutter and glance back to the brunette. Her brows raise in surprise as she eyes me. "Me? Why not Cass?" she questions.

"Because you know what she looks good in," Edwin spits, keeping his eyes on his daughter. "Her appearance tonight will define a certain relationship for her," he mutters and his brown eyes finally land on me.

I roll my eyes but he was right. I can't show up looking like a hot mess tonight. Otherwise, Mallory might be a little disappointed. I don't want to disappoint her tonight. Hell, I don't want to disappoint her ever.