One Hundred Twenty-Nine

Casey 

With my head in my phone, I continue my journey to the coffee shop. I had been texting Cass all day, trying to figure out where Kathryn was. I couldn't tell if she didn't know or if Kathryn was telling her not to tell me. I mean, she had a reason to.

I'd been a bitch for the last 2 months. I wouldn't want to see me either. 

But I wanted to make things right between us. Before, I could go two years without talking to her but just two months without a word spoken between us felt wrong. I found it impossible to ignore or avoid her any longer.

Letting out a breath, I lift my head just in time to run into a body. I quickly grabbed the person by their arms, holding them upright so they didn't fall. "I'm sorry, are you okay?" I question.

Chestnut-brown eyes meet mine before glancing down. "Uh... yeah," Kathryn mutters, waiting for me to let her go. I cleared my throat and stepped back after making sure she was alright. Silence settled between us as I stared at her, unsure of what to say.

I'd been dying to find out where she was and now that she was in front of me, I was speechless. The brunette let out a breath before walking around me to continue her journey. Frowning, I turn quickly and grab the woman. "Can we talk?" I question.

Eyes land on my hand before they meet my gaze. She doesn't say anything, just stares at me with a blank expression. Clenching my jaw, I force myself to let go of her again. "May we talk?" I question once more.

The woman frowns, "About?"

I bite my lip, a part of me not wanting to apologize despite knowing I have to. "Stuff."

She sighs, not saying anything else. I take that as a sign. "Would you like to get coffee... with me?" I question, stuffing my hands into my pockets awkwardly. Kathryn doesn't say anything, she just stands there, staring.

Her silence makes me slightly uncomfortable as I take her in. Looking at her, I notice that it definitely has been a few months since the last time we spoke or really just looked at each other. I could tell she had put on a few pounds, which she wore amazingly. Her hair was much longer than the last time we spoke. 

I smile softly knowing she hated having long hair. It was obvious she hadn't been to the salon simply because she didn't have enough time. Between work and Antonio, I doubt she'd have time to do anything.

"What do you want, Casey?" her words bring my eyes up.

I furrow my brows in confusion. She places most of her weight on her right leg and places her hand on her hip, eyes on me seriously. "You've been ignoring and avoiding me for two months. Anytime I'm so much as breathing the same air as you, you're throwing a tantrum. Now suddenly, you want to talk. Why?"

Clenching my jaw, I swallow the lump in my throat. "To apologize," I voice honestly.

Something flashes in her face before she glances down at her feet. "Because you want to or because Mallory and Cassandra are forcing you to?" she questioned.

"Because I need to," I answer.

Her chestnut-brown eyes meet my gaze as she squints. "And why should I? Talk to you, I mean. You've been a piece of shit to me since you found out. Why should I talk to you just because you want to apologize? You... for two months you've shown me your true colors. Why would I waste my time hearing some half-assed apology?"

Inhaling and exhaling, I step closer to the woman. "I fucked up, I know I did but I... you deserve a reason, an apology. Just 5 minutes, please."

Clenching her jaw, she shakes her head before pointing in the direction of the cafe. I smile softly as I walk backward to the cafe. Once we step inside, she makes her way to one of the tables by the window, forcing me to order our coffees myself.