Eight

Casey

Once we checked out of the hotel, we made our way to the nearest restaurant to have breakfast before getting back on the road. I yawn as we pull into the driveway of Burger King. "It's almost a new year," Kathryn's voice grabs my attention from the cars in front of us. I eye my fiance with a smile. 

"Can you believe we've been together for 5 years?" I question causing her to smile. Her brown eyes land on me, gleaming in realization. She reaches her hand out to mine, intertwining our fingers and bringing my hand to her lips. "It seems so surreal, sometimes."

I nod my head in agreement, "When do you want to get married?"

Once again her eyes land on me, "I don't know. I always thought that kind of commitment scared you the most so I never really cared much about it."

I smile, "If it scared me, Kathryn, I wouldn't have proposed. I had every intention to become your wife one day, whether it be right now or in 2 years."

Kathryn hums, "Then, October. I would like to officially become your wife in October." Smiling, I realize that the line had moved. I drive up a bit, before hearing my phone ringing. Pulling my hand away from my fiance's, I search for my device, finding it in the door. I answer once I realize it's Emily who's calling. "What do you want?" I hiss playfully.

"I thought, 'Hm, I should go see my best friend and wish her a happy birthday' but when I got there, no one was home. So I waited, believing you just took her out to be a good fiance you are so I tried again later but still neither of you were home! I left her 5 messages and she never replied," the blonde spits, annoyed.

I glance at Kathryn, "Is your phone off?" I question. She shakes her head, pressing the side button on her phone. There were no notifications. "Kathryn didn't receive any notification from you."

The blonde sighs, "Where are you guys anyway?"

"Florida," I answer honestly. 

"Without me? You took her to Florida, without me? Casey, do you hate me?"

I chuckle, "I don't hate you Em. I just wanted some alone time with my fiance for her birthday and to surprise her and you suck at keeping secrets. Don't worry we'll be home on the 31st with souvenirs."

I could practically hear the woman rolling her eyes in annoyance. "Fine, put Kathryn on." Smiling, I hand my phone over to the brunette beside me, noticing we were finally next in line. I pull up to the menu. I order us some food, glad that the total wasn't too expensive. Pulling up to the first window, I grab my wallet and get my card. 

"Isn't it normal for your fiance to steal you away for a few days? I didn't complain this much when you were spending all your days with Sophia," Kathryn hisses at her friend. I chuckle and hand my card to the woman behind the window. Once I get my card back, we pull up to the next window. 

I laugh at the conversation between Emily and Kathryn, though I was only getting it one-sided. But with the replies Ryn was giving, I figured I knew every word Emily was spouting. 

I glance over to the brunette beside me, eyeing her carefully. It really does feel so surreal. 5 years together. Am I dreaming? I could only hope that our 5 years were special and that she wouldn't doubt us as she did with Thomas. I shake the thought away, Thomas and I are two different people. Plus, Kathryn's carrying my child... our child. 

I don't think she'd have gotten pregnant if she had doubts. 

The sound of honking brings brown eyes to me as I jump lightly. Kathryn eyes me cautiously, confused about why I had been staring. Ignoring her gaze, I pull up to the window, happy that we didn't have to wait long for our food. Once I get our food, I pull out of the driveway and park in an empty spot.