Sixty-Four

Kathryn

Casey. Casey. Casey. Casey. Casey. All I could fucking think about was Casey. Imagines from our past invaded my thoughts and dreams, as well as that fucking annoying face she made after I slapped her. I just wanted to not think about my ex for one damn day. One damn day, could I just have a Casey-free day.

But I knew that'd be impossible. Casey had a way of coming into my life when I think it was going well. Of course, back then, I was more than thankful for her arrival in my life. She'd gotten me out of that toxic relationship with Thomas.

I felt good with her, loved, seen. She became my whole world in a matter of months and the years we spent together were like heaven on earth. 

But this wasn't like last time. I was getting over her. Getting over that life. And here she comes, ruining it all. Fuck! I groan as I pull my gaze away from the ceiling, realizing once again my mind was caught up in the webs of Casey Kings.

Getting away from her seemed impossible. 

Clenching my jaw, I try to stop myself from crying. I didn't want to cry. Not over her. I've done enough crying over Casey, she doesn't deserve my tears. Sighing, I harshly wipe my tears away as I grab my phone from the other side of the bed.

I frown as I notice a few messages from Mateo. I frown, upset with myself for holing up in my apartment and ignoring my own boyfriend. But then again, I knew he'd eventually catch on to my sour mood and start asking questions. I didn't have the answers to them yet. 

Despite Casey being back, I still wasn't ready to tell him anything. I never would be. She's just not a person I'd want to talk about with my current partner for multiple reasons. I open his texts, letting him know I was fine and just needed time to myself.

Once I send the message, I quickly dial Cassandra's number, wanting answers before I go snitch to Emily about everything.

To my surprise, she answers quickly but my frown only deepens as I hear a voice I wasn't expecting. "Cassandra said she'll call you in a minute, she's busy," Casey mutters, clearly not wanting to talk to me just as much as I hated the idea of talking to her.

"How's your cheek?" I question, wondering if I left behind a bruise. Honestly, she deserves it but I still felt bad. 

The woman clears her throat, "Uh... what?" 

I purse my lips, finding this conversation extremely awkward but it was easier to talk to her like this than to do it in person. I didn't have to look at her, so that helped. Plus, truth be told I'd probably slap her again. "Is your cheek bruised?" I question.

The brown-skinned woman clears her throat again, clearly nervous to be on the phone with me. "A little, it's healed up a little. My lip is still busted but there's less swelling than the first day," she mutters softly.

I nod my head and bite my lip, wondering what I could possibly say. There wasn't anything coming to mind. "Okay..." I trail. "I'll uh go now."

"Kathryn," her voice stops me in my tracks. "I know you'll tell Emily but please don't tell anyone else... that I'm here. I'm not ready to see anyone right now," she mutters softly. I can't help but scoff internally, she's not serious... right?

That has to be a joke, right? I don't bother speaking again as I hang up the phone. To say I was annoyed was an understatement. Does she really think she has the right to make demands? I don't give two shits who knows she's here. I should tell everyone just to spite her.

- - - - - 

Yawning in my fist, I check the time, shocked to find it a lot later than expected. Hell, I didn't even realize I fell asleep. Wiping my face, I get out of bed and get dressed. Once I'm dressed, I exit the apartment and lock the door.

However, the minute I turn to make my way down the stairs, I stop in my tracks as blue eyes stare up at me. Well, that makes my life easier. I turn back to the door and unlock it, stepping inside and waiting for Emily to come in.

"Is your phone bill paid?" she questions the second she enters my home. I furrow my brows before glancing at her and nodding my head. She hums, "So then you were just annoying me to be an asshole for the past two days?" she questions, upset with me.

I chuckle and nod my head. "I needed time to calm down and think," I mutter sitting on the couch. Blue eyes watch me in confusion. 

"Why? What happened? Did you and Mateo have a fight?" she begins with the question. 

Frowning I shake my head and pat the couch so she can sit down. She eyes me cautiously before taking a seat, eyes never bothering to leave my face, waiting for something. I smile and chuckle softly, wondering what her reaction would be to find out Casey was back.

"So as you know, I went to check on Cass Thursday," I begin. She nods her head, waiting for me to continue. I smile softly, "Well during my little visit I found out something."

"For fuck sake, Kathryn just spit it out, you're freaking me out," she spits, annoyed.

Clearing my throat, I avert my gaze. "Cassandra didn't open the door and nor did Edwin," I mutter before glancing at the blonde once again. She raises her brow in confusion. "It was Casey," I spit and remain silent so the information can sink in.

Emily sometimes needs a second to actually hear your words, otherwise, it'll go right over her head. She stares at me with a blank expression for a few seconds before realization hits her hard. Her eyes widen and her mouth drops to the floor.

I nod my head and smile, "And I slapped her," I mutter.

The corners of the blonde's lips pull into a shit-eating grin. "Did your hand hurt afterward? Did you leave a bruise? It doesn't count if she didn't cry," she spits, looking at me for more details. 

"Well, it all happened kind of fast. I wasn't expecting her to open the door, hell, I had no idea she was fucking back. But my first reaction was to slap her, though I think it was probably a subconscious decision. And yes she cried. I'm not sure how the bruise looked but she told me it feels better and that her lip was still busted," I mutter, remembering the phone call from earlier.

Emily pauses and eyes me. "She told you this? You spoke to her on the phone?"

"Yeah... earlier today. I called Cass to ask her questions but Casey answered instead."

"Did it feel weird?"

"Of course, it felt weird, Em! She's my fucking ex."

The blonde's expression changes and I already know the next few words to slip from her mouth. "Does Mateo know?" she questions. I groan and roll my eyes, but she was right, he needs to know. I blame Casey! How dare she come back when I haven't even told Mateo about us yet. 

Emily sighs, "Seriously, Kathryn? Even after you saw her face and slapped her, you didn't think to tell him about her? It's only a matter of time before he meets her, I mean you hang out with her family. Eventually, he's going to see her and they will be introduced to each other."

I shake my head, "Not if I avoid her."

She parts her lips to say something else before stopping herself. She rolls her eyes, clearly not in the mood to get into with me about this for the nth time. "How many people know?" she questions, talking about something other than my relationship with my boyfriend.

"Not sure but I can guess no one except her family. She asked me not to tell anyone else that she was here because she wasn't ready to see anyone," I mutter, still annoyed with her request. 

Emily sighs and nods her head, "That makes sense. She probably doesn't want to get slapped again, seeing as the last person who saw her did just that," she jokes, eyeing me.

I groan in annoyance, knowing she'd never let it go. But I mean she hates Casey so I don't expect her to. "So... what does this mean?" she questions causing my brows to knit together in confusion. "What does what mean?" I questioned, not sure what she was asking.

The blonde scratches her cheek. "You and Casey... she's back now."

"Your point?"

"I mean are things going to be awkward around you two? Are you going to get closure from her? Are you going to be on talking terms with her since you are in cahoots with her mother, sister, and best friend?"

"I don't know, Em." I really don't know.