Ten

Kathryn

"I always feel bad when we leave, like we can't bring the new year in with them," I mutter to my fiance as backs out of her parents' driveway. She nods her head in agreement. "But they always encourage us to go party with everyone," she sighs.

I place my hand on her thigh, "Next year we should bring in the new year with them. I don't care who's throwing a party, we have to. Not only are we about to give birth to their grandchild but you're their daughter. It's only fair. Plus had it not been for them, you wouldn't be here."

Casey frowns, "I get what you mean but babe, that's gross." Smiling I rub her leg, "What? You think they don't get dirty in the sheets? It's natural."

The woman gags as she stops at a red light. "I would rather not think of my parents in that way. I know they do but god, I'd rather not be made aware and god forbid I ever hear or see it."

I chuckle, nodding my head in agreement. "What are your new year goals?" I question the woman beside me. Casey eyes me, quickly before looking back ahead. She hums, "I guess to give Hope the best life she could ever want. Marry my beautiful fiance, go back to school so I can get my doctorate degree and license. I guess that's about it."

I bite my lip, loving how much we were on the same page in our relationship. "Hey, Casey," I call to her. Brown eyes land on me for a second, wondering what I wanted. "What would you be doing right now if we hadn't met?"

I watch her brows knit together as she continues driving to our next destination. It's not like the question had any significance but I was curious. What would our lives be if we had never met? She parts her lips several times, searching for her words causing me to smile. 

She clears her throat, "I would probably be in the military right now. When I was younger, I didn't like the idea of spending more of my life in a classroom. I didn't want a desk job or having to be a cashier. None of those things sounded fun enough for me. And one day I had a talk with my dad about what he does and it piqued my interests."

Humming, I squeeze her leg. "And relationship-wise?" 

"Honestly, I probably would be with Diana. Uhm, when I knew what being in love felt like, I think Diana was the closest I felt to it. I don't know if that makes sense. She's a comfort zone for me, I can talk to her about anything, she just feels safe to be with and around."

I swallow the lump in my throat as I listen to my fiance. "But, I'm not... I'm not in love with her. Just in your 'what if' world, I would more than likely be with her." I can't help but chuckle, realizing why she was adding that extra bit of information. 

"What about you?"

Ah. "I'd still be with Thomas. Probably married and with a kid or two, realizing how much I fucked up."

She laughs, loving the Thomas slander. She places her hand on mine, intertwining our fingers. "You know, Kathryn, I don't think I would ever want to reverse time. I don't ever want to go to the time before I met you. I never thought a love like this felt this good, so I seriously thank you for letting me experience it."

I roll my eyes, "You're always such a cheeseball," I joke, squeezing her hand. She shrugs her shoulders, bringing my knuckles to her lips and kissing them. 

"I like my 'what if' scenarios," I randomly spit, noticing we were almost to Emily's. Casey chuckles, nodding her head. We turn on Emily's street, noticing the cars in her driveway immediately. Like always, everyone's here before we are. I notice Diana standing next to Cane's car.

"Oh, look. There goes your girlfriend," I tease the woman beside me as she parks. Brown eyes land on me, displeased. I laugh at her, "She's waiting for you, aww that's cute."