Chapter 2

After that thing with that boy, I decided to just start again. Or actually, go back where I started.

Obviously, my friends in Phoenix don't accept that I'm gay, so maybe moving back to L.A with my mom would be better. After all, my friends there encouraged me to come out.

My parents aren't divorced, my mom just lives in L.A for work. My dad and my brother stayed behind in Phoenix. I stayed with my mom. After a while, I missed Jason and dad, so I moved back to Phoenix.

"Son! Your phone's singing!"

"Going dad!"

I walked over the island, my phone playing a song quite loudly. "Hello?"

"Mike!!"

"Damn, don't scream Phoenix. What's up?"

"So the guys and I were thinking, and we thought maybe you should just come out to your parents now."

I hesitated,"But won't they hate me?"

"Nah man, come on, they're your parents, they're supposed to be glad that you're being honest."

I sighed and chewed on my nail, "Are you sure Phi? Maybe it's not a good time, since my mom's not here."

"Mike, Mike. It's gonna be fine. We're hoping everything goes fine. All of us. If not, call us."

I looked outside, where my dad was unraveling the hose. "Well, here goes nothing, I'll talk to you later man."

"Yeah​, Hey Mike?  We're here, you know, if you need us."

"Yeah, I know. Bye Dave."

I took a deep breath and dialed my mom's phone number. It rang a couple of times before she answered."Hello?"

"Hey mom."

"Michael! How are you? How's your dad?"

"He's good, I'm good. Hey mom...can I tell you something?"

"Yes honey, what is it?"

"I....I'm gay."

I heard silence."Mom?"

"I'm here honey, it's just...I don't know what to say..."

She gave a weak laugh,"I guess I'm happy that you told me. Thank you Mike, for telling me."

I smiled. I really didn't realize that I was crying, but I was. Just a small tear.

"Thanks mom, love you."

"I love you too sweetheart.

I hung up and went to the backyard where my dad was watering my mom's rose bushes. "Hey dad?"

He turned off the water, "Yes?"

I fiddled with my fingers,"Can I tell you something...important? Something that's, serious, and you might not like."

"Yes, anything, you know I love you." He smiled and motioned his hand, signaling that I continue.

"Dad...I'm gay."

"What!?"

I felt a stinging on my face."Ow! Wha-"

I felt it again."Dad stop!" He pushed me to the ground. He hit me again,"I'm sorry! I'll change!"

"No son of mine will turn into a fag!"

After what seemed like forever, I got up.

"Give me your phone!"

I gave to him and he threw it against the rock wall. It shattered into pieces.

"Go to your room!"

When the boy left, I grabbed my backpack and ran home. I knew what I had to do.

I ran home, fast. Tears were pouring out of my eyes. Somehow, that kid knew exactly what to say and he just touched me.

"Jason!" I whisper yelled, hoping I wouldn't wake up my dad.

"What?" he whispered groggily when I entered our room.

"I'm leaving, I should just go live with mom." He stared at me for a while.

"Mike. Are you crazy!" He mouthed. I sighed and shook my head.

"I'm serious. Living here, it's not good for me."

Jason looked away, then put his head down. "Well, as long as you're here, you're not gonna be safe."

He hopped off his bed, "I'll help you pack-", I cut him off,"What? You're not coming?"

"Nah, just you, you're the one who's miserable here, dad will keep hurting you if you stay any longer. Besides, I don't want to leave dad alone here."

"That's a pretty good point."

He took my bag, "We'll just pack some of your stuff here." I held on to the bag, Hoping he wouldn't open it.

"Uh, I can do it. Thanks though. You go back to sleep." He shrugged and walked to his bed. Once he was out, I went to my dad's office and put the gun back in the drawer he kept it in.

I really didn't pack a lot of stuff. Everything I had was already too small for me, so I packed the little amount that did fit. I packed my toothbrush, some toothpaste and other essential needs like that. I also packed some of my favorite music albums and my sketch book.

I looked at Jason, already sleeping again, silently thanking him for helping me. I took one last look at the small room.

I sighed and turned.