Chapter 46

Mike

"What? You're kidding right?"

She started crying. "Oh Mike! I've been so selfish. But I heard your friends talking about it. I thought I could use it against Chester. But I thought about it last night and you really are happy with him! So I just had to tell you that he was doing all sorts of drugs and smoking whenever he has the chance."

She looked over my shoulder and gasped, "Oh god...I'm sorry Mike..." She continued to cry. I looked behind me and saw only a glimpse of a dark sweater.

Chester

I was huffing, my head pounded and my stomach was in a tight knot. How could she?! She just ruined everything! Why? Just why?

I ran. Tears were steeaking down my face. I didn't stop until my stomach heaved. I stopped and threw up violently on the pavement. I was hunched over, gasping for air. My stomach lurched and I threw up again.

"Chester!"

I looked up and saw Mike running towards me. I backed up. "Mike..."

"Chester, baby..."

"No Mike. I'm such a horrible person--"

I was about to turn and run, but he grabbed me and wrapped me in a hug. "Ches, baby, no. You're not a bad person. I'm not mad at you."

"You're not?" He looked down at me and shook his head. 

"No. You know I'm going to help you through this. I'm not mad, I promise."

I nodded and hugged with back. "Thank you. I love you."

"I love you too," he said and kissed my head. "Let's get you home and cleaned up." He stepped around the puddle of vomit and pulled me with him. We walked in silence. Hand in hand.

Dave

I paced around the front of Chester's yard. The guys were sitting around in the dead grass, Mrs. Bennington peeking out the window every now and then.

"God Dave. Don't make this such a big deal." Brad groaned.

 "I'm making it a big deal because IT IS A BIG DEAL."

"He's right. This is almost a life or death situation for Chester," Rob said. Joe was quiet. He had a little twig and was poking at the grass. I sighed. I couldn't believe we were telling Mike this. I looked up and saw Mike and Chester walking towards the house.

"Guys..." I said. The others stood up and prepared for the worst.

"Mike we-"

"I know. I was told." My jaw dropped and I looked at Chester. He was pale and honestly did look like he was crying. 

"You know about the-" I managed. He nodded. 

"Well that was a bit anti climatic," Rob mumbled. Mrs. Bennington opened the door. 

"Honey, would you please tell me when your friends coming over?" Chester nodded. "Why don't you boys come inside? It's getting cold."

We all shuffled in, warmth automatically greeting us. Chester's mom brought out mugs and set them out on the coffee table. Chester reached out for a mug, but his mom slapped his hand away. "Nuh uh, you're drinking water. Unless you want to keep puking all over your sheets again."

He pouted and stared at her. She groaned and went to the kitchen. "Honestly Chester. You're literally just three months from being eighteen and you still act like you're five!" She came back seconds later with a mug. 

"Thanks," he said happily. Mike chuckled and put an arm around him. 

"You're so silly." He kissed his cheek as Chester happily sipped his hot chocolate. 

"Alright baby, I'm gonna get ready for work," Chester's mom called as she tugged her coat on. She kissed his head and went down the hall.

"Phi, pass me that little trash can by you." I made a face and gave it to him. "You're not gonna puke are you?"

"No. Well, not now at least."

"Ew," Joe said making a face. Mike chuckled and kept his arm around him. 

Chester's mom came into the living room, "See you tomorrow morning Chester." She opened the door and walked out, leaving us alone.

"So..." I began. Chester held up a hand and threw up in the trash can. 

"OMIGAWD IT'S ON ME," Joe said screaming as he jumped up. 

"Dude, you're not even sitting next to him!" Brad said holding him down. 

"Oh."

Chester giggled and wiped his mouth with his sleeve. 

"Dork," he giggled, looking at Joe. Joe laughed nervously. 

"How are you really that calm after puking? Honestly, I'd be complaining and crying," Rob asked quietly. 

Chester shrugged, "I guess I'm just used to throwing up all the time."

I made a face, "Uh...ew?" Mike chuckled. The room was silent again. We knew what we had to talk about. But no one was saying anything. Finally Chester spoke up.

"I'm a real dick aren't I."

"Chaz no," I began, but he cut me off. 

"I should've stopped when you guys told me too. Now look at me. I got sick because I've been taking so much lately."

Mike was quiet, his arm was still tightly around Chester. "We're here for you Ches. We really care about you," Joe said quietly. 

Mike then spoke up, "I do have something to say."

He turned to look at Chester and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Chester. I love you. So what I'm about to say...you have to understand that I don't mean to hurt you by it." Chester blinked and stared at Mike.

"If you do anything like this again. Drink, smoke, do any type of drug...and you don't tell me...it'll be over between us."

I almost gasped. Chester nodded, looking into his mug, ashamed. "Mikey...I promise." Mike nodded and hugged Chester tightly. I went up to them and hugged them both tightly. The others followed. We all sat there hugging Mike and Chester. "I love you Chester."

"I love you Mike."