Chapter 9

I tapped my fingers impatiently on the desk, watching the clock. Ms.Kenji was silently counting down the seconds.

The bell rang and I rushed out of class. I waited for Dave. The rush of students surrounded me.

"Hey! Mike!" Phoenix shouted walking up to me."You ready for summer?"

"You bet I fucking am." I said putting my arm around him."You see Phoenix, when a guy has a chance, he goes to the pool to see some guys-"

"Okaaaay, don't need to know about that Mike."

"Heh heh, I'm just kidding Dave.

We walked towards the front entrance."So, I was thinking about Xero.."

I raised an eyebrow. I haven't thought about Xero, our band, in ages. We sort of took a break when I moved in with my dad. It wasn't ever anything super serious.

"What about it?"

"Well Hybrid Theory now. We changed it because we thought it matched our sound. But anyways, I thought we could continue it since your here and we have plenty of time for it."

"That actually is a good idea. We should do it!"

"Awesome! Hey why don't we go the park next door?"

"Yeah, let's go!"

Phoenix took off. I chuckled and I ran to catch up with him. We went to the small park next to school.It isn't as big and pretty as Lincoln, but it's still a good place to just chill.

Summer was finally here. I found a bench across from a tree and collapsed, feeling exhausted. I took in the feel of the afternoon. I looked up in the tree and saw Chester. He was sitting up on a branch with his sketchbook, lost in it.

"Mike, just go talk him. I can see you undressing him in your head."

I flicked his shoulder, "Shut up Phoenix." He laughed and stood up.

"Alright, see you tomorrow, tell me how it goes!" And he headed home.

I stood up too, getting ready to actually talk to Chester. I looked up at the tree and saw him jump down, dropping his sketchbook. I picked it up and looked at what he was drawing. He drew Sam, his "girlfriend".

"Um, you dropped this," I stuttered handing it to him.

"Thanks," he muttered, turning away.

"Chester!" I heard a voice shout out.

Chester and I turned to see Samantha a couple yards away, waving him over.

"Bye," he whispered and jogged to go meet up with Samantha. I walked off, silently raging.

***

The next morning, Phoenix and I were watching stupid cartoons in his living room. It was a "great" way to spend our summer.

"So I'm guessing yesterday wasn't a success?"

"No," I sighed.

Then he groaned,"Ugh, these are so stupid, let's go to the park."

"Again?"

We walked to the small park and messed around in the kids playground. It got too hot, so we just went and layed back on a huge tree.

"Hey remember Mark?"

"The guy that didn't like that I'm gay? Nah I don't know him."

"Okay shut up and listen, since he's not in the band anymore, who are we going to get?"

I shrugged."I could always try."

"Mike, you're really not good at reaching the high notes. Or the screaming."

Mike scoffed. Then Dave shook his head. "Remember when you tried singing 'Blue'?"

"Nothing thrown down! Trampled by your- FUCK ITS TOO HIGH!"

"Oh yeah."

Phoenix rolled his eyes, "I'm going to go get the guys, we have to talk about a singer."

"Alright."

Phoenix left and I decided to climb the tree. I leaned on a branch and closed my eyes. A couple seconds later I heard voices approaching the tree.

"Sam, tell me, Please."

"Fine. It's over."

"Sam...wha-" she interrupted him, "Chester, I can't do this, not with knowing."

Knowing what?

"Is this why you wanted to meet here? Just to break up with me? I thought we were gonna go--"

"Yes. I did. And no, we are not going out anywhere today. I really can't do this Ches."

"Sam... I can change, for you. I don't want to be alo--"

"No Chester, nothing isn't ever going to make you straight. And...I've been seeing someone else now for a while now..."

And then it was quiet. I peeked down from under the tree. Chester had his face in his hands, Sam watched him quietly.

"Why did I think this was ever gonna work out," he whispered. Sam sighed. Then I heard her footsteps against the grass as she left.

Chester growled out in frustration and sat down in the grass, resting his back against the tree. I peeked down at him. He was looking up. Through the glare of light against his glasses, I could see he had his eyes closed.

I felt really bad for him. He just wanted someone, he was alone...

I slowly and quietly climbed down the opposite side of the tree, then went around towards Chester. His eyes were still closed. I sat next to him.

"Hey, Chester."

He opened his eyes and glanced at me. He looked away quickly. "J-just go away, you've probably h-heard enough, so just go away," he sobbed.

"Chester, you don't need her. Besides, you can find someone better than her. Fuck, screw girlfriends, find some really good friends."

His sobs quieted down to hiccups, "You really think that?"

"Yeah, now come on, we're gonna go have fun."

I helped Chester up and walked out of the park with him.