Chapter 23

Mike

I absolutely couldn't believe this. Hybrid Theory was getting popular. We had been asked to play at multiple places now. Not at the big clubs, but at some small places around town, more in the Aurora Hills area.

The guys were happy too. Chester has also been looking a lot better lately. He's actually smiling and laughing more than before.

"Okay guys, where do have left to play?" Joe asked.

"Well, the Roxy is one, then that one college that's still thinking about it, and Joe, there's a ton of clubs in L.A. It's not like we've played at all of them," Brad replied. He was replacing his guitar strings. Chester was laying back on the couch and writing something.

"What are you writing babe?" I said sitting next to him.

"More lyrics." I looked over at the notebook. He was scribbling furiously, as if the ideas were leaving him too quickly.

"Nice. Do you want me to edit the rap part?"

"Yeah, and add a second rap part. I'm out of ideas," he chuckled. He handed me his notebook and pen.

I read over it and added or replaced some stuff.

"What name did you give this song? It's really good."

Chester chewed his lip. "I haven't exactly given it an official name yet, but maybe...Slip."

I nodded. "It fits."

Chester smiled at me and I continued writing. A phone started ringing. Chester sighed and pulled his phone out of his pocket, checking who it was.

"Yeah mom?" Chester answered.

He listened, then looked alarmed. "W-what? Are you serious?"

Everyone got quiet, exchanged worried looks, then looking back at Chester.

"Was the door open...I'll be over then." He hung up and took my hand. He lead me up the stairs and out of Joe's basement.

"Chester, what happened?" Phoenix asked from behind us. Chester ignored him and took me with him. We got in his car and drove into town.

"Chester, what happened. Please tell me."

He gripped the wheel, "Someone broke into our house. They... trashed things."

When we got there, there was a police car in front of his house and a woman was talking to the police officer in the porch. Chester got out of the car and went up the the two people.

"What did they do," He demanded. I followed and realized that was his mom, seeing the resemblance right away. "They just threw things around. Spray painted in the walls and your door."

"This is why I keep my room locked up mom, and I tell you to lock yours too. You know what happened in Phoenix."

"I never thought something like thus would happen again here though..."

"Well I knew something would."

Chester looked a little pissed. Then he grabbed my hand and stormed inside. I almost gasped. Things were strewn across the floor. The book shelf was knocked over. 'Faggot', 'Loser' and other nasty words were painted across the walls with paint. We went to the hall. His mom's room was pretty messed up but nothing was written on her walls. Then we went to his room. On the door read,read, 'We'll come back gaywad.'

Chester pulled out a key from his pocket and unlocked his door. Everything was untouched and still in place. He sighed and fell to his knees, still fuming.