Chapter 11

These last couple of days with Chester were amazing. We would go meet up at Joe or Phoenix's house to practice and come up with new material. Turns out, Chester really knows how to write music. It was the perfect combination.

"How about we just add that one riff before the vocals instead?"

"Yeah, I like that," Chester nodded.

"Alright, we'll pick it up tomorrow. My parents might go bullshit crazy on me if we make more noise," Phoenix yawned.

"Yeah, I'm gonna go hit the hay, gotta bar to go to around three."

"Why three?" Brad asked. Joe shrugged, "Party I guess."

"Well, bye everyone," Rob said, leaving the garage. "See ya."

Then Brad and Joe left a couple minutes after. It was just me, Phoenix, Chester.

"I'm gonna go make some food. I'll be back in a sec."

Phoenix left the garage with a silly grin on his face. I wanted to scream and tell him not to leave me here alone. But I mentally sighed and decided to make the most of it with Chester.

"I don't know if I should get another tattoo," Chester said collapsing on the couch. "You should," I said.

"I wish my mom wasn't so over protective though. She thinks tattoos are just for people in gangs or some shit like that."

"Heh, my mom thinks the same way."

He chuckled, "Funny, has she said anything about your red hair?" I ran a hair through my hair, "Not really, she said it looks nice."

It was quiet for a moment. Neither of us had anything to say.

"Dave told me that your gay," Chester said quietly. Damn you Phoenix. "Did your parents say anything bad about it?" He looked up at me, sorrow filling his eyes.

"Yeah, my dad did. He beat me, only once and kept me locked up in my room for most of the time."

"Oh..."

"I was only allowed to go to school and then come straight back home. My brother tried to defend me and tell him that he had to accept me for who I was, bit he didn't listen."

Chester looked down, "I know how that feels. I mean, you saw Samantha break up with me because of it."

"Why did you date her?"

"I wanted to just prove to everyone that I wasn't gay, but no one believes it. I look like I am apparently. I hate being picked on because of it. Things like this just happen, you know, we just find guys more attractive or something than girls."

I looked at him, tears were quietly streaming down his face and he chewed his lip. "Chester..."

"I just hate being bullied because I'm gay, I just hate it. I wanted a chance to look normal around people. I asked her out hoping she wouldn't think I was a freak."

It was breaking me to see him this way. He was crumbling before me.

"Chester, it's not-"

"I never asked for any of this to happen! All I get is shit from everyone! I hate my parents Mike. They just never understand anything!"

He was looked at the wall, "Then all I did was just do stupid stuff." He sniffed, "I used to cut and I tried killing myself. I just couldn't anymore Mike."

Then he looked straight at me, "Then after that, I told myself to not do things I'll regret in the future. I want to live. I want to live and have a good life."

I looked straight into his eyes. I've heard that before.

The park. I heard it in the park. Was it...?

"Chester? You said you came from Phoenix right..."

"Yes...why..."

"The park...you-

Then a small sweet smile spread across his lips, "Do you remember now?"

Tears sprung to my eyes and I hugged him tightly,"Chester! Thank you, thank you so much! I-"

He shushed me, "Mike, you're  welcome. Now can you please let go of me, I can't breathe."

I laughed and let go. "Chester, I can't believe it. I knew that name sounded familiar!"

Chester laughed and put his arm around my shoulder. "No one should take their life, ever. Promise you won't do it Mikey."

I nodded, "I promise Chester, I promise."

Phoenix came in with some plates with food on them and then stopped in his tracks. "Um, what did I miss?"

"Nothing much, why?" I asked. He shook his head, putting the plates on a nearby table, "You two look like you just saw the saddest movie ever." I touched my face, and sure enough, it was wet. "Uhm."

"Nevermind, let's just eat this mac and cheese."

Chester

Opening up to Mike like that felt good. I had someone that I could trust and someone I could actually talk to.

I had the guys to talk to. I met them just a couple days ago, but they were already family to me.

I never knew that I'd make friends like these, let alone be in a band.

"I wanna be a police man!"

My older brother and I were sitting with our parents, and just talking. "Haha, what do you want to be Chester?"

I didn't need to think about it, "A rock star!"

My mom giggled, "A rock star?"

I smiled at the sweet memory, one if the happy moments with my parents, when they were together.

Now I had a chance to live my dream and be what I want to be. With my new family.