Chapter 17

Mike

The concert was at the end of this week. We were working our butts off rehearsing new material and getting right. We spent hours and hours writing and rewriting material. We spent a lot of time in Joe's basement or in Dave's garage, practicing every time we could. Today, we were in Joe's basement. 

"Yeah!" Chester laughed, "We're gonna be so bad ass!" We had just finished playing a few songs, and I had to say we sounded really good. 

"Totally! I'm so excited!" Phoenix jumped up and down. 

"Stop jumping, your gonna drop your bass." Brad laughed.

Chester laughed, he was just so happy and glowing at the moment. It was so cute. I went over to Joe, "Do you have the set list done?"

He got out his notebook, "Yup. We're opening up with And One, then Blue, Rhinestone, then my solo, Step Up, then closing up with Esaul."

"Awesome, we'll work on that then."

Chester came and wrapped his arms from behind me, "Are there gonna be other bands?"

"Yeah, like, not that many but there's gonna be like some from town and others from like other places," Brad said while putting his guitar in its case.

"Nice, wonder if the people will like us the most," Chester giggled.

Joe shrugged, "I don't know, there's this one one that's from Arizona and I heard they're really popular in Phoenix?"

"What band is it?"

"Something like Grey Daze? I think that's what it was..." Joe looked into his notebook. Chester's arms went limp and then he backed up.

"No.....no no no no." He backed away further and ran up the stairs.

"Chester?" I ran after him. I saw him run out the front door and then disappear. I looked both left and right to figure out which direction he ran off to, but he was completely gone.

Chester

This can't be happening, it can't be.

If Sean is coming, sure enough Chris is gonna be there. I know Sean hasn't kicked him out of the band.

"He did what?"

I looked down at the floor."I'm sorry, I know I'm a fag...I leave."

"No Ches, I'm not mad at you. Its just that, Chris has been our friend for the longest time and...I never thought he'd do that to you..."

He looked up at me, "Are you okay? You didn't get hurt badly or anything did you?"

I shook my head, "No. It's just...Sean, I don't want him around me, ever. I'm afraid he'll hurt me again."

"Chester, I can't kick him out, you know how hard it was to find a bassist."

I ran home as fast as I could. I didn't want to break down in front of Mike again. Once I was in my room, I let out loud sob. I can't let this happen again. If Chris knows where I am, he'll do it again.

"Mmm, Chester...."

I shut my eyes and resisted the urge to scream. I wanted those horrible memories to go away.

"Chester, I can't do it! I'm not kicking him out!"

"Then I'll leave!"

"Ches..."

"No Sean! Enough is enough!"

I left him standing there with a shocked expression.

I continued to sob and cry. There was a soft knock on the door.

"Chester?"

My mom walked in and took me in her arms. I held in onto her, continuing to bawl. "Sh, it's okay Chester."

"I can't mom. He-He's coming back mom...I don't want to see him."

"What?"

"Chris, mom. H-he's coming here."

"Why? Did he contact you? Tell me what's going on."

"I'm in another band mom. With Mike and the others?"

"Band, since when?"

 I explained everything to her, because I didn't know where to start. I told her about how I saw Mike trying to kill himself in Phoenix, Sam, Mike coming here, the guys and how they've been so nice and loving towards me, the band and that my old band was coming to perform here.

"Oh honey, I'll call Brian and he'll be here. I promise." She left my room. I heard her call my brother and explain that Chris might be in L.A. She came in and hugged me,"He said he'll keep an eye out for you."

I nodded and fell asleep in her arms.

I woke up and it was already dark out. Today's memories hit me hard, but I ignored them. I looked at my clock and it was almost four in the morning. Damn I slept in.

I got up and went straight to the kitchen. I made some toast and waffles and put them in a sandwich bag. I threw them in my backpack, along with a flashlight, my notebook and some matches. I went out the door and headed for the park. Lincoln Park. Funny how there's one in every town in America.

Once I was there, I headed to the farther part of the park and stopped at the small abandoned camp area. I know this place hasn't been used for camping in years. I sat on the ground and started a small fire. I set my backpack down and took grabbed the food I packed.

I closed my eyes and told myself that everything was going to be okay. Maybe Chris wouldn't remember me or maybe he remember how he got tired of fucking me. I really didn't know, but hopefully everything would be okay.

I threw some dirt on the fire and headed to Mike's house.

His window was unlocked and I just climbed in, creepy, yeah, but I needed him. I watched how peacefully he slept and I climbed into his bed with him. I cuddled up to his chest and fell asleep.