Chapter 42

Chester

It was already late and everyone had already left. Except for Dave. He told everyone he was leaving, instead he went and hid in the back yard until everyone left. I knew he was gonna stay to talk to me.

"Mark really didn't hit you that hard did he." I shrugged and got up to go to my room. He followed. 

"I don't know Dave. I can't see the back of my head." 

He scoffed. "Come on Ches."

"Alright, got hit with a gun." 

His eyes widened. "With a- Chester what were you doing? What the hell happened?"

"I went with a friend and and some friend of his barged in and demanded him to pay off some money or something." 

Dave shook his head. "We told you not to get involved with those people any more Ches," He sighed as he saw me took out the left over cocaine. "You just don't listen don't you..."

"Not really." I sighed and tossed the bag onto my desk. "I'm gonna be honest Dave. I try. I really do. But something inside me just pulls me beneath the surface all over again. I know it's for my own good, but it's just so hard Dave." 

He sighed and knelt beside my chair. "I understand. Sorry if I'm being over protective. I love you as if you were my little brother."

"I'm a year older that you."

"Shh...I know," he said nodding. I rolled my eyes. 

"It's really late. You should probably go home." 

He stood up and I followed him to the front door. "Be good 'kay? Don't do any more stupid things." I nodded and shut the door behind him.

Mike

I rolled over to check my clock. It was almost midnight. No point in calling Chester at this hour.

I sighed and looked at the ceiling. It was only a couple of days before I had to pack up and visit my grandparents again. I really don't want to leave Chester behind. What if Mark or some other kid hurts him again? I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I rolled to my side and drifted to sleep.

***

Chester didn't say much as we walked into the airport. Jason was eager to go visit Japan again, but I obviously wanted to stall and spend more time with Ches. He held onto my hand the entire time. He didn't let go until we got to the bridge. "I'm gonna miss you." He mumbled as he hugged me tightly. "I'm gonna miss you too. It's only for a week though. We'll survive." He laughed softly as he wiped his eyes. I kissed the corner of his lips. "I love you."

"Mike did you remember to bring your inhaler?" I looked up to see my mom eyeing me. I nodded and kept hugging Chester's trembling form. 

"Mike. We have to leave now," she said impatiently. I nodded again and let go of Chester. He looked up at me, his eyes glistening with tears. I followed my parents and Jason outside, where our plane was waiting for us. "I don't know what you see in that boy Michael. He's crying like a little baby over you." 

I glared at the back of my mom's head. "Don't like that about him."

She glanced at me and shut up. Jason bit his lip and continued to read the book he had. Dad stayed silent. I didn't understand why she seemed suddenly so sour towards Chester. 

Dave

"This is getting out of hand!" Brad groaned. I sighed and threw the bag back into the shoe box. 

"I don't know what that stuff is but I know it's worse than what he usually takes. I can't even tell what this stuff is!"

"I know Brad. I tried talking to him."