Chapter 52

Chester

I stared at it. Should I? No, I promised Mike that I would stop. I promised the guys that I would stop.

But here was the bag of colourful pills that looked inviting with small icons of happy faces neatly carved into it. I let out a shaky breath. I never ment to find it. It was under the bed. I was trying to find my keys, but instead I had a small bag gripped tightly in my fist.

The content felt heavy in my hand. I was breathing heavily. The bag felt like it was burning my skin. My hand was shaking, and I closed my eyes, taking deep breaths. The cravings hit me like punch in the chest. I shuddered, feeling my stomach lurch slightly.

I threw the baggie across the room and continued to look for my keys. I had to get out of the house. I could still feel the searing pain on my hand from the burning that wasn't there. Grumbling, I sulked out of my room.

More than two weeks of not seeing or talking to Mike was killing me. Dave kept telling me that I had to get out of the house. And eat. Do something to distract me.

I finally found my keys where I vaguely remember leaving them. I came home yesterday from school and threw myself on the couch, cried and fell asleep. I grabbed them from between the cushions and walked out the door.

I sighed as I drove to work. Every weekend I had to work now. I was able to get hired at a Burger King. A fucking Burger King. Smelling fast food for an entire day made me feel so sick. I honestly didn't want to go. But what else was I supposed to do? Stay home cry all day? Besides, I need to help Mom out with the bills.

I turned the radio up, hoping at least something can take my mind off Mike and the acid I found under the bed. Sighing, I quietly hummed to the music. I stopped the car and walked into the restaurant, ready to start my day.

***

I leaned on the counter, watching the door. There was literally no one here. We had a few people come in and eat, but overall, it was a slow day.

My boss, Jen, walked over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder, "You can go home now if you'd like. I know how upset you still are."

"Yeah. But really, all I do at home is lie around and do nothing."

"Don't you have your friends?" She asked fixing her cap over her brown and blonde hair. 

I sighed, "Yeah, but I'm pretty sure they're done with my crying and whining."

Biting her lip she turned away, "I've known you for only a few weeks and I still can't imagine how hard this must be."

"I really don't care what happens anymore. All I want right now is Mike," I sighed. 

She nodded, "I understand. That's why you need a little rest. I really want to give you next weekend off, but our other manager wouldn't like that," she tried chuckling, but when I didn't respond, she sighed.

***

I sat in my car, parked outside Rob's house. I felt bad for calling him at this hour and asking for comfort, but he didn't say that he had plans. He always seemed to be busy though. Shaking, I opened the door and stood out into the icy air. I walked to the door and lifted my hand to ring the doorbell, but I jumped back when the door suddenly opened. Dave was there with a huge grin plastered on his face.

"Rob told us you'd be here!" He grabbed my wrist and pulled me inside. "We gonna make sure you smile today!"

I groaned when I saw all the guys sitting around the coffee table with a couple of boxes stacked neatly. Board games. Fucking board games. "Okay, so we got these and," he fumbled with his pocket, "A lighter."