Chapter 5

It has been a couple of weeks or so since I came to L.A. I missed seeing old friends, teachers, it felt great to be here. Everything thing that happened in Phoenix was lost and forgotten. Everything.

In the middle of our art assignment, one of the guidance counselors walked in with a scrawny boy. "Ms. Kenji, a new student for your class."

"Oh no, not another one. I'm just kidding, I'm Ms.Kenji, we're doing a group assignment right now." She stuck out her hand and shook the student's hand.

She scanned the room,"Hmmm, why don't you go with Hahn and Shinoda?" She pointed at our table, at the empty seat next to me.

I stared at the kid, he was wearing baggy pants, a shirt with the sleeves cut off that said 'Stone Temple Pilots', and he tattoos. Flames covering both of his wrists, and koi on both of his shoulders. He had blonde spikey hair.

"What's your name?" Ms.Kenji asked, walking him towards Joe and I.

"Chester."

"That's such a cute name."

He smiled, "Thank you." She started explaining the assignment to him.

I kept glancing at him, he looked so familiar. His face kept flashing in my mind. It was almost scary.

"Oh and quick fun fact, Mike and I here share the same name."

"You do?"

"Yeah, my middle name is Kenji."

Chester gave us a small smile, "That's cool."

Joe chuckled,"How do you like Agoura Hills Chester?"

"It's nice, but the weather is too humid here. I'm too used to dry Phoenix."

"Ha, that's funny, Mike lived in Phoenix too!"

Chester looked at me, long and hard. He nodded, then looked at the desk.

"Ahem, um, I uh that's cool."

I nodded, "Yeah, uh, I'm from Phoenix."

As we worked, I just couldn't figure out where I've seen Chester. Or where I've heard that name. It's not an entirely popular name.

***

"So you think you've seen him before?" Phoenix and I were left eating lunch together while the other guys where still getting theirs.

"Yeah, he seems so familiar, even his name."

"You know, it could be that you like him."

"Dude, no! We just met!"

"So he's ugly?"

"No, not that. I mean, he's not bad looking..."

"Ha, got you. I knew it, love at first sight. So cute!"

I playfully punched his shoulder, "Just shut up already."

Phoenix laughed, "Alright I'll stop Mike. Oh look, there he is now."

"What?" I turned around.

"Ha, just fucking with you." I groaned smacked his head. By then, the others came and sat down.

"Damn, the line was long as FUCK," Joe groaned.

"And that's why Mike and I pack our own lunch." Phoenix smirked. Rob bit into his sandwich, "Hey, is that the new kid?"

"I'm not falling for it Rob," I smirked.

"No, look."

We turned and there he was, some of the big jocks pushing him around.

"Damn, why are you so skinny?" One of them said jabbing his ribs with a finger. "You afraid you're gonna get fat? Is that it fagot? You eat something then you just puke it out huh."

The other boy laughed. "Wanna stay skinny for the other fags, or they won't fuck you like you want 'em to."

I stared. I couldn't bring myself to stop them. Maybe it was because of what they were saying.

Or maybe I'm just a coward.