Chapter 60

((If the video didn't work the song is "This Time" by P.O.D))

Chester

Listening to my mom's rambling each day before I left to school or work was becoming normal. Mike ignoring me and snapping at me every time I got close was normal. The guys actually keeping their distance was normal.

"And please come home early. Please." I rolled my eyes opened the door. The air was warm and stuffy. I huffed and climbed into my car. Driving in silence, I rolled down the windows to let the cool morning breeze come in.

"Chester what--what's this..."

I gripped the steering wheel. I had become careless. I didn't even try to hide the drugs anymore.

"Honey, you're hurting yourself."

I shook my head and continued to drive.

I opened the door. "Hey hun, I brought you a cake!" Mom's smile faded. "Where's Mike. Wasn't he coming over?"

I stared at her, with absolutely no expression on my face. But she saw it in my eyes. "Oh honey...Did he-"

I slowly nodded my head. She sighed and wrapped me in a tight hug.

I arrived to school. I saw all the seniors were dressed nicely for today. I sighed. Last day of my education. Yay. I'm probably gonna ditch after lunch anyways, so I can miss the ceremony. I'm not even dressed up for the event. I could just call in sick and pick up my diploma somewhere else.

I decided to hang out with the guys today. I found then sitting outside on a picnic table, all dressed up. Except for Rob of course. "Hey guys," I said, plopping down next to Rob.

"Hey," they all responded quietly.

"So, any if you going to college?"

"Dave and I are going to UCLA," Brad said.

I nodded and then turned to Joe. "Some art school," he mumbled. "And you?"

"Not going," I simply said, "I'll just stay here. Working at BK and that cafe."

The bell rang, signaling it was to me for class. "I think I'm just gonna go home after lunch." They nodded.

"Have fun today guys." I gave Dave, Brad, Rob and Joe all hugs. "Bye."

They left for class and I sighed, knowing I could said a better goodbye.

***

I munched on my chips and inhaled the sweet smoke from probably my third joint. I was getting ready to take off but someone had stopped next to me.

"Taking off?" I turned and saw Mike. I smirked. He looked good. He was dressed in a black tux and his spiky hair was slicked back slightly. "Hmmm, now that I think of it, maybe not," I said, licking my lips. He glared at me.

"Not in a million years."

"M, but we already fucked, like, a million times," I said getting dangerously close to him. I knew I was pretty fucking high, but I couldn't stop.

"You're so fucking stupid. Go ahead and throw away your life pothead," he snapped, pushing me away.

"Ooh, but I wasn't when I was with you."

"Just shut the fuck up and listen," he sneered, "When you learn to fucking clean up your life, give us a call."

I scoffed. "Us? Are you talking about the guys? Because I noticed that they pretty much want nothing to do with you."

"I could say the same."

"Really now? Are they showing up at your house everyday? And I mean everyday?"

"No but-"

"Then? Honestly Mike, you have no idea what they say about you," I said, walking closer to him. No no no no, stop!, I was screaming at myself. I knew I was gonna regret it.
"I'm pretty sure they talk shit about you too. All they see you as is a pot head," he said, his eyes glancing to the weed in my hand.

"Just shut up," I whispered before grabbing his shoulders and bringing him forward. I crashed our lips together, trying hard to hold him against me. He pushed me back. "What the fuck?!"

"What."

"Just keep your hands off me fucking bitch!" He snarled before storming away. I guess I don't regret it.

***

"Mom can we talk?"

My mom looked at from her book. "Yeah. What is it?"

"I...Look don't get mad but-I wanna move back with dad..." She stared up at me and sighed. "It's Mike isn't it?" I nodded. "Chester, I'm sure you can work this out."

"Mom. I can't do this! I see him around town everyday and I just can't take it! You don't understand how much I still love him." I sobbed. "But he's such a jerk now," I said quietly. She nodded, understanding.
"We'll...We'll check with your dad."

***

I opened the door and stepped out of the car. Sean set down a box and waved. Sam followed.

"Chester! Welcome back home buddy!" Sean wrapped me in a hug. Elka, did the same. "So nice to have you back in Phoenix. I hope everything's okay."

"It should be." I sighed as Sam put an arm around me. I was glad she wanted to move over here with me. I couldn't say no. "So, I found a new bassist..."

A smile crept up my face. "You don't mean-" Sean returned the grin, "Grey Daze is back baby!" I chuckled. "So you back in?"

"Yeah! What else do you think?" He laughed and Sam giggled. "Ooh, I wanna hear some of this!"

"Yeah, let's get your new home set up first!"

Agoura may have been my home at one point, but I had to move on. All I gotta do right now is look up, and hope for the best.