Surrogate (Part 2)- ScarFlo

"Scar?"

The new mother looks up from her baby in her arms to see her friends standing there. Tears fill her eyes and she shakes her head.

"She hemorrhaged." She whimpers. "T-They took her up to surgery three hours ago but we haven't heard anything. All Dr Robbins said was that the bleeding was large and they needed to stop it now o-or she could bleed out." Her voice trembles and tears slip down her cheeks. "She gave us a baby, she carried our baby for 9 months, and now she might die."

Chris is the first one to snap out of it and rush forward to hug his friend from the side, careful of the baby in her arms.

"She's beautiful, Scar." He says softly.

"I know." She chokes on her cries. "S-She has Florence's eyes and nose, but everything else is Colin. She's perfect."

"Does she have a name?" Lizzie asks and strokes Scarlett's hair.

"Rose. Rose Florence Johansson-Jost." Scarlett announces.

"That's beautiful." RDJ smiles. "She's gonna be a heart breaker like her Mama."

"I don't know what I'm going to do if she dies." Scarlett whispers.

"She's strong, Scar, she'll be alright." Mark reassures.

"Where's Colin?"

"He's gone to call Florence's family." Scarlett replies. "She did amazing. Look at how perfect my little girl is."

"Scarlett,"

The woman looks up to see Dr Robbins and Dr Wilson standing there.

"How is she?" She instantly asks and stands up.

"She's out of surgery." Dr Robbins starts. Scarlett sobs in relief. "But there were some complications. The bleeding was extremely large and she lost a lot of blood, that caused her body to go into septic shock and she seized just before we got her under the anaesthesia."

"Oh god. W-What happened?" Scarlett asks in fear.

"The bleeding was coming from her uterus, and her Fallopian tubes. Her tubes were fried once we opened her up, and the only way that save her...was to sterilise her. We had to tie her tubes to stop the bleeding." The surgeon explains. "I'm so sorry."

"She's sterile?" Scarlett asks in shock.

"Yes. Since she was an IVF patient, the risks of getting it were 40 percent greater."

Scarlett would of collapsed if she wasn't holding her child.

"Oh my god," Lizzie whispers.

"No, no she can't be. S-She is always talking about how she can't wait to have her own kids. She talked to her belly about it almsot every day." Scarlett cries.

"There was nothing we could do." Arizona says softly. "She's in recovery now, would you like to go see her?"

Scarlett nods numbly, barely registering as Lizzie takes Rose out of her arms before she's guided out of the room.

"She's never going to forgive me." Scarlett whispers.

"It wasn't your fault, Scarlett. It's rare, but it happens. You had nothing to do with it." Dr Robbins assures.

Scarlett's body feels completely numb as they walk through the hospital.

"Would you like us to tell her?" Scarlett looks up and realised they're in Florence's room. The file looks so small laying in bed, wires attached to her along with tubes.