Merry Christmas- Florence

You haven't celebrated Christmas in three years, not since you lost your family in a house fire. It was Christmas and you're entire family was gathered in your parents house, but your Mum had asked you to run to the store to grab some carrot since she forgot them, and when you came back, your house was burnt to a crisp and none of your family survived, except your younger brother, Theo- he was only 3 at the time, you were 18, and he was severely injured but he pulled through.

You took Theo with you after burying your family. The two of you left and loved to America, wanting to be as far away from that place as possible. You moved to New York and got an apartment. You enrolled Theo into school and you got a job as a makeup artist, it pays well, plus you love it.

You and Theo both hate the Christmas holiday. You tend to buy him some presents, but he told you he doesn't want to put a tree up or celebrate Christmas. It's heartbreaking for a 6 year old to not want to celebrate Christmas, but you understand.

However, this year is difficult. You see, you got hired to do the makeup for 'Black Widow', and that's when you met Florence. You instantly hit it off and it took her an hour before she asked you out on a date. You've been dating for a little over a year. You got together officially last December, the 4th to be exact. Luckily, Florence went back to Oxford to spend Christmas with her family so you didn't have to have the awkward conversation with her. Did I mention you haven't told her your whole family is dead?

You've met her family loads of times and you love them, but whenever Flo asks to meet your parents, you just tell her that you're not close with them. You'll tell her eventually, just not right now.

Anyways, Christmas is only a week away now and Florence is becoming more annoyed by the way you keep avoiding talking about it.

"It's Christmas, babe! It's a time for joy!" She whines. "You haven't even got a bloody tree up."

"Flo, I've been busy, ok?" You sigh.

"What about Theo? I'm sure he wants a tree up." She retorts.

"Don't." You say sternly. "Don't tell me what my brother wants."

"Y/N, I just want you to talk to me. Is that so hard? I keep begging you to meet your family, but you just keep me in the dark like some dirty little secret. I keep asking to spend Christmas with you, but you dint seem to want to give me the time of day. What the hell is going on with you?!" She snaps.

"You're not a dirty little secret, Flo-"

"Then why can to meet your fucking family?!"

"Because they're dead!" You finally shout which makes her fall silent. You let out a shaky breath as tears fill your eyes.

"...What?"

"You have met my family, Flo. Theo is the only family I have left." You whisper.

"Baby," she whispers sympathetically.

"It was three years ago on Christmas. The entire family used to gather round my parents house, and that year my Mum forgot carrots, so she sent me to go get some. When I got back an hour later, the house was burnt down with my family inside. They couldn't get out, the fire department said a gas tank in the cellar blew and they would of died almost instantly. Theo was the only one to survive, so after we buried our family, I got us the hell out of there. You haven't met my family, not because I don't love you, it's because I don't have a family for you to meet. And the reason I don't talk about Christmas, is because Theo hates it. He hates the whole holiday." You explain to her, tears dripping down her cheeks.

Florence is also crying silently, her heart aching for you and your little brother. And wordlessly pulls you into her arms and lets you cry into her chest.